I have a myspace music page now

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
seisflutes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by seisflutes »

Beau Comiseau wrote:Hi Kelly,

Out of curiosity, who is your regular teacher?
Don't have one. Just myself. There is a guy I play in sessions with pretty regularly, and just watching what he did was helpful in the beginning, though I think I've gotten all I can from his playing now.
Beau Comiseau

Post by Beau Comiseau »

Wow!!! :o :boggle:

You have taken Ennis' saying that "it takes seven years of learning, seven years of practice and seven years of playing to become a uilleann piper" and reduced it by a factor of seven. And, without a teacher. You are truly remarkable, a real genius.

Word has it that you're a master reed maker too. Some folks get all the talent. :oops:
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

:lol: Quit saying such things, it'll go to my head!
Beau Comiseau

Post by Beau Comiseau »

Sorry, it's true. But I know that you're just being modest. :)
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Nicely done Kelly! I enjoyed the selection of tunes very much.

Keep posting more tunes when you get time.
Get down on your knees and thank God you're on your feet !
Steafan

Go Kelly!

Post by Steafan »

Great playing indeed.

Best of luck.

Steafan
Never lend people money it gives them amnesia!
Beau Comiseau

Post by Beau Comiseau »

seisflutes wrote:

Don't have one. Just myself. There is a guy I play in sessions with pretty regularly, and just watching what he did was helpful in the beginning, though I think I've gotten all I can from his playing now.
Kelly, I think you've mentioned that you were playing flute and whistle a couple of years before starting the pipes. Did you get formal instruction in those instruments, or did you learn them the same way you learned the pipes (by listening and watching)?
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Beau Comiseau wrote:
seisflutes wrote:

Kelly, I think you've mentioned that you were playing flute and whistle a couple of years before starting the pipes. Did you get formal instruction in those instruments, or did you learn them the same way you learned the pipes (by listening and watching)?
I pretty much taught myself flute and whistle too. My very first instrument was rec*rder, which my mom sort of taught me, along with basic music theory and reading. Then after I'd been teaching myself on a silver flute for a few months, I did have a classical flute teacher for a little while, but she made me do all this classical stuff which I never practiced.
I have had some summer workshops on all my instruments (except tenor banjo).
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I can hardly wait until you get some flat pipes and put up some tunes!

Nice stuff!

Summer workshops and/or week long schools are where you really pick up new stuff IMHO.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

If my friend with the B set lets me borrow it again, I plan to record something with it. I hope he does, and soon! :)
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

excellent piping, i sent you a friend invite, it is cool to have fellow C&Fers on myspace too.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Beau Comiseau

Post by Beau Comiseau »

seisflutes wrote:If my friend with the B set lets me borrow it again, I plan to record something with it. I hope he does, and soon! :)
Well, keep us posted. And tell that friend to give you that B set! You deserve it!!! :D
Beau Comiseau

Post by Beau Comiseau »

Oh yes, I forgot: any chance that you'll put any of your tunes on Clips-n-Snips? :)
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Beau Comiseau wrote:Oh yes, I forgot: any chance that you'll put any of your tunes on Clips-n-Snips?
I dunno. I hadn't thought about it. I guess I could. I never visit clips-n-snips out of habit from when I had no sound on any of the computers I used. No reason to keep avoiding it now, I suppose, if I remember its existance!
Kevin L. Rietmann

Re: I have a myspace music page now

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

seisflutes wrote:There's a pipes track. I'd appreciate hearing everyone's opinions.
Lovely F# trill, and those little bottom D variations. How about some pauses? I love pauses. It's what seperates us from the fiddlers.
Pipes sound very nice, bit echoey but a good kind of echo. Would be nice to hear them in a different setting. Lovely buzz out of the drones. Is that a newer Seth chanter? He took a bunch of his old ones back for refitting, I remember. Something in the bell.