Tying in main stock tips

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
chrisgrainge
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by chrisgrainge »

Thanks all...

Unfortunately the bag is sewn up! Tony Hebdon (one of the 'local' makers) bolts his stock in from the inside of the bag, then sews it up - looks and lasts very well but difficult to change bags!

I have a small tree in the garden and it looks like its not just useful for making apples! Need to try and find some of this waxed artificial stuff, but shouldn't be too hard....

Thanks for the advice.

Chris
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

o'corragain

Post by o'corragain »

JES wrote:
Could you tell me what weight is suitable for tying in stocks? Would you go with the 70 pound? Also what weight would be suitable for tieing reeds?

I tied my first stocks in this week. I used unwaxed hemp, which broke a couple of times, but all in all worked fine, no leaks.

David
Joseph E. Smith

70# is perfect for stocks and works for reeds, but I would go with a lighter weight for reed making.

Here's an image from Davy Stephenson's site that I feel really illustrates a tied in stock very well.

Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Let me also add the suggestion if you're finding it hard to get the synthetic sinew that you try waxed Nyltex thread. Tim Britton uses it for reed making and it works great for tying in bags as well. It's pretty much the same as the artifical sinew, but usualy easier to find as it's used often in shoe and leather making/repair work.

I think it comes in white and brown, though I've used only the white. You tie it in just as with the sinew - either using a tree, dowels or some combination of a dowel and secure tying point (or burly friend). You know you've got it tight enough (for reedmaking as well as tying in bags) when the waxy-thread turns from opaque to translucent.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
o'corragain

Post by o'corragain »

Joe Smith wrote:
70# is perfect for stocks and works for reeds, but I would go with a lighter weight for reed making.
Thanks Joe

David
Joseph E. Smith

You're welcome. That'll $100 please. :D
chrisgrainge

Post by chrisgrainge »

Thanks for all the help....

Stock now firmly tied in - used the 'cut a slightly smaller hole then stretch it' approach and tied it in (at least for now) with some dental tape as one of the suggestions, as was too excited to wait to get proper stuff!!

All works well, would have posted a picture but the digi camera just died :moreevil: Now my full set works, my old practice set can go to ebay :cry:

Thanks again

Chris