John Lennon on the Uilleann Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
carel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by carel »

djm wrote:This is the only McPeake web site I found: http://www.francismcpeake.com/
I think Peter is referring to this site
http://www.iol.ie/~ronolan/mcpeakes.html

"They have also performed in Moscow. Other admirers included Van Morrison and John Lennon who once asked Francie to teach him the uilleann pipes and almost bought a set off him."
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

carel wrote:
djm wrote:This is the only McPeake web site I found: http://www.francismcpeake.com/
I think Peter is referring to this site
http://www.iol.ie/~ronolan/mcpeakes.html

"They have also performed in Moscow. Other admirers included Van Morrison and John Lennon who once asked Francie to teach him the uilleann pipes and almost bought a set off him."
It used to be on the Francis Mcpeake one but aparently it's all about the school now. Never mind.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

djm wrote:The McPeake feature mentions how "faring" (sp?) music was being lost. I'm not sure what this refers to, and they don't explain it on the show. Is anyone familiar with this term and can define it?

Thx,

djm
Fairing music probably. Music that'd be played at horse fairs and festivals out in the open air.

Patrick.
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

Another celeb who can play pipes is Peter O'toole. It mentions him playing Paddy's pipes(with different reeds rigged up) in the Chieftains biography.
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

marcpipes wrote:Another celeb who can play pipes is Peter O'toole.
Maybe it was brilliant piping emerging through genetics. He probably was related to Touhey (O'Toole the anglicized version of Touhey).
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Jim McGuire wrote:
marcpipes wrote:Another celeb who can play pipes is Peter O'toole.
Maybe it was brilliant piping emerging through genetics. He probably was related to Touhey (O'Toole the anglicized version of Touhey).
I am related to the O'Toole Clan so ye shouldnae mind the correction...in Irish it is O'TUATHAIL O'Toole and Touhey are the anglicized mutations thereof....
John Lennon did get lessons but couldnae hackit.. and returned them to Francie...
Slán Agat
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

That's correct. Touhey's birth certificate says "O'Toole".
Colin29

John Lennon on the Uilleann pipes

Post by Colin29 »

Apparently the pipes that John Lennon got lessons on were made by the Kennedys of Cork, I think it was Moss who made them, John had a few lessons and by all accounts was a fast learner but got interested in other things which meant a decline in his interest in the pipes, the pipes are now in the hands of the McPeak family or so I have been lead to believe.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Colin29,

Am I addressing a Cork piper? If so, you're the first I've come across. Are there any more pipers in Cork?

By the way, any info you might have on Kennedy or Crowley pipes would be of great interest to me.
PJ
leremarkable

Post by leremarkable »

WRT pipers in Cork, I expect a full head-count would net between 50 and 100.

Just because you haven't come accross them doesn't mean they're not there.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

leremarkable wrote:Just because you haven't come accross them doesn't mean they're not there.
I've no doubt. :oops: But I lived in Cork from 1984 to 1996 and never came across a single uilleann piper. However, it was only when I left Cork that I became interested in UPs. (One thing has nothing to do with the other :P ). I go back from time to time and would love to find out who the pipers are and where they meet. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
PJ
leremarkable

Post by leremarkable »

There's John Mitchell, living in Ballincollig somewhere, plays, makes pipes, Jimmy Morrison in Fermoy, plays, teaches, Dennis Brooks in Cork City, architect of west coast piping in the USA. There's the Cork Pipers Club, based in the city, there's Diarmuid Moynihan and his clan, Diarmuid may not still live in Cork, I heard something about him in Prague. Sean McKiernan teaches at the Cork school of music I believe, altho' he lives in Carna, Co. Galway. There are a bucket load of young upandcoming pipers there too.
PJ

Post by PJ »

Great to hear. I'm already looking forward to my next trip back to Cork.

Thanks,
PJ
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Eoin O'Riabhaigh too!

PD.
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

Didn't Paul recorded Mull of Kintyre and had pipes of some sort?

Cork Pipers Club is going strong; met John Murphy, their secretary on my visit in 2003. He plays a D Rogge set. Very nice person to talk to; really helpful with visitors. The club is meets on Mondays, I think. They had a tionol the weekend I left (darn). I have a picture of John Murphy and John Mitchell playing together. (thanks Dave, for the reminder) omeone tell me how to load a picture and I'll post it.

Address follows:

15 Aras Na Dige,
Mardyke,
Cork
Ireland

Edited twice, added comment on Cork Pipers Club