OT: No Motorway Through Tara!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Happens in the states, down with the old and up with the new......multi level parking lot, strip mall, WalMart.... :roll:
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

This whole thing reminds me of another incident that sickened me. I couldn't believe at the time that the world governments didn't step in to try to save such an international treasure. Scroll down the page to the stories relating to the statues:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/gall/0,8542,550821,00.html

Patrick.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

brianc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brianc »

From one of the articles by the Guardian:

"On a good day you can see half the counties of Ireland from the Hill of Tara. It is not its beauty that drives campaigners, but its archaeological and historical importance as the "heart and soul of Ireland" and one of the few prehistoric landscapes in Europe that is still intact. "

PD had it right.
:)
djm

Post by djm »

Obviously we can all go overboard and try to generate hysteria with threats of McDonalds popping up everywhere, but if it were Disney ... well .... I've always kinda wanted to go to Disneyworld .... :roll: :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
brianc

Post by brianc »

Fond of standing in long lines, are ya?

:D
djm

Post by djm »

Gee, they don't show that in the brochures .... :-?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
glands

Post by glands »

I would be nice to linger over Tara's lovely hills and valleys for a while before someone comes in and spoils the whole lot.

I've visited Ireland 8 times now and, in my opinion, the only new motorway one need build is one that takes the bulk of the traffic AROUND and not THROUGH Loughrea. I've seen an accident there each passage and it is always bottlenecked in midtown. My good friend who directs the ICU in Galway at the Univ hospital says they get a few little old ladies in the ICU each year who have been run down by motorists while they were simply crossing the road. Drive carefully and look out for pedestrians.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Funny how all the people with the anti-progress opinions have never lived or no longer live in Ireland !You play a bit of Irish music and visit now and again and you think you know whats best for the country and all who live in it Ireland has a long history of outsiders trying to tell us what to do Some people would be delighted if we all lived in thatched cottage,s and drove around in donkey drawn cart,s so when they visit they can fulfill some kind of romantic illusion of how they think Ireland is or should be
A recent survey done by the Economist magazine of a hundred and fifteen countries found Ireland to be the best country to live in so we must be doing something right .Leave the running of Ireland to the Irish and the people who live in it !!!

Regarding Tara being the heart and soul of Ireland its not that PD got it right But more the Gaurdian got it wrong

RORY
Last edited by rorybbellows on Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

There's been a road built beside an ancient site where I come from.
Before:

After:

Hopefully they'll have the mess all tidied up now that the big road is finished. If anything, the new road has made a slight improvement to the Rough Fort as the pre-existing road that passed it is now very quiet. The big road is 150m away.

Rough Fort is a ring fort, a farmstead of about 1,000 years ago, and stands to the south of the Limavady-Derry road. There are estimated to have been more than 30,000 of these forts in Ireland, and this one is complete and substantial. It is crowned with an imposing ring of trees - Scots pine, oak and beech - which make it a landmark in this part of Co Londonderry.

At Rough Fort the banks were formed mostly of earth, not stones (in which case the structure would more strictly be known as a cashel), and the dwelling within would have been a wooden, or mud-and-wattle, thatched farmhouse.

The rest of the enclosure was a sort of farmyard, and the earth bank, which acted as a protection against wolves and marauders, may have had a wooden palisade around the top.

Rough Fort has never been excavated, but where archaeologists have investigated similar sites they have found evidence that these ring forts were occupied over a considerable period of time, occasionally as late as the Middle Ages.

Rough Fort was one of the first properties to be acquired by the National Trust in Northern Ireland. It was given to the charity in 1937 by Marcus McCausland, then Chairman of the Trust's Northern Ireland Committee.

http://www.jochenlueg.freeuk.com/english/fort.htm
Last edited by boyd on Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

What has any of this got to do with piping? :wink:

B
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

rorybbellows wrote:Funny how all the people with the anti-progress opinions have never lived or no longer live in Ireland
RORY
I wouldn't say that for certain. There is a good point to be made for alternative routes away from Tara and surrounding area. There are different routes towards 'progress'. A bit of work on the health services would be nice for example.
Joseph E. Smith

What's even less funny, is how 'progress' often means the destruction of that which is impossible to replace.
mukade

Post by mukade »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:
brianc wrote:There ARE alternatives to every supposed "solution".
Exactly! Can you imagine Egypt doing this with the pyramids? And this is exactly the same thing.

PD.

Mukade
Joseph E. Smith

Let's hear it for the tenacity of the American fast food industry....disgusting! :moreevil: