CJ.DIXON

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
AlanB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Dale locks a thread about speculation and damage to a reputation, and then you slam this guy. And I would reckon you guys taking the piss has made him back off on his website. Nice going, help a budding pipemaker why don't you. You're bunch of miserable *&%$£&^ begrudgers.

Alan
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Alan, are you serious?
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

You reckon it's a coincidence?
Northern Whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Northern Whistler »

I hear ya Alan. I had emailed him with a heads up about this thread. He just said that if anyone had any legitimate questions about his website or products they can email him and he would gladly answer them.
I give him full credit for even trying to get started in the pipe making business, and even more credit for not even getting involved in this thread and staying professional.
Everyone has to start somewhere.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Although Northern Whistler looks like he is already quite committed, considering his Avatar, but you better purchase whatever you can while she is still your fiance'. They really get controlling after she becomes your wife.
srfmowman

Post by srfmowman »

I think that a lot of you are like me, sarcastic, irreverent, make a joke out of everything, probably really funny in person. I think the problem here, with no visual clues, is that it is hard to tell if you a joking or serious. I think it is great that this young guy is trying to make a go of making pipes. I am sure that the long established makers do not make pipes in the same way they did when they started. I have received tons of helpful advice on this forum on pipes. I think the best thing you could give a start up pipemaker is an Email telling him what kinds of pipes you have, what you like about them and what you dislike about them. Tell him what business practices you like and what you don't like. Admit it, if you weren't already living on the edge of society, you wouldn't be obsessing about an obscure instrument like Uilleanns. So if we get enough people making, playing, obsessing about them, we will eventually be in the mainstream (probably swimming the wrong way). :wink: My 2 cents.

John
Bigbore

Post by Bigbore »

Pine's a bit soft for bellows boards, it dings up easy. I didn't think the pyography on the bellows was "stunning," as he puts it; and the camping gear strap looks cheesy.
Cosmetic details mostly. Funny for a pipemaker to have a website when he doesn't make chanters yet. The cart before the horse. But give him a chance.
Royce

Post by Royce »

AlanB wrote:Dale locks a thread about speculation and damage to a reputation, and then you slam this guy. And I would reckon you guys taking the piss has made him back off on his website. Nice going, help a budding pipemaker why don't you. You're bunch of miserable *&%$£&^ begrudgers.

Alan
We were just welcoming him to our cheerful fraternity with valuable insight pertaining to the likes and dislikes of his prospective customers, both related to pipes, and related to web design.

Royce
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

What ever comments were made by myself regarding Mr Dixon were not meant to "slam". hence the smilie faces.
I wish Mr Dixon all the success in the world. :)
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
Northern Whistler

Post by Northern Whistler »

Douglas wrote:Although Northern Whistler looks like he is already quite committed, considering his Avatar, but you better purchase whatever you can while she is still your fiance'. They really get controlling after she becomes your wife.
I hear you on that one, I allready got the "YOU SPENT HOW MUCH ON A SET OF PIPES??!!!" "WHAT ABOUT NEW CLOTHES FOR YOUR KIDS??!!" speach, but it didn't bother me.
I know from experience that a new set of pipes is still cheaper then the lawyer fees were to get rid of the first wife I had. Both expenses are worth the happiness in the long run and I can still afford to buy clothes for my kids either way.