Composite regulator reed?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Murk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Composite regulator reed?

Post by Murk »

Interesting Geoff! I have a Mathematics background so this intrigues me. When you say "focus point", are there conic sections at work between the reed and bore? Of course, there's a high probability I'm entirely reading too much into the words "focus point".
"When I was young I told myself I wanted to be somebody.
Now I realize I should have been more specific."
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Two points:
Murk, if you have the math background you might enjoy perusing Cornelis Nederveen's Acoustical Aspects of Woodwind Instruments. Nederveen has a section on reeds, single and double.
Geoff, my limited short term experience with a cedar chanter reed bears out what you say of a rise in tuning. Although, even after an hour or more, I have not seen a full 20 cents rise. Max I have seen is about 11 cents. . . .so far :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
uillmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by uillmann »

geoff wooff wrote:
All chanters rise in pitch during playing, 10 to 20 cents, even without the effects that may occur by quick changes of temperature, bringing a set into a session.
Sometimes, such as while playing in dewy air, perfectly strong reeds will become quite soft and pliable, to the point where they are inaudible against the meekest fiddler, and must be constantly pinched closed in order to remain sharp enough. ☞ On such occasions, the reed should be opened up again before putting the chanter to bed. Other times, say when going out to play in the full sun, a reed might be stripped of moisture so fast that it may flatline, even terminally.

It seems to me there may be too much going on with any given reed in any given environment to make sweeping generalizations about reed behavior. Unless one is playing in a completely static environment, they have their own behavior, sometimes erratic, sometimes predictable. Treat them with the utmost care.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

while playing in dewy air, perfectly strong reeds will become quite soft and pliable, to the point where they are inaudible against the meekest fiddler
Hmmm. Are you sure? Dewy=humid I assume and humid opens reed, reed gets loud(er) and stiff, in my experience (and flattens around the A and further up and down the scale, depending on how far it opens up). But we play in very different climates.

In general I feel my (chanter) reeds want to sit in one exact spot, moving them up or down will generally upset things too much.
My brain hurts

rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Having a selection of different thickness rushes(guitar strings)in your pipe box, is a way around temporary raises in pitch without having to move the reed.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Dewy=humid I assume and humid opens reed, reed gets loud(er) and stiff, in my experience (and flattens around the A and further up and down the scale, depending on how far it opens up).
Yes, humidity opens the reed, and like you said, it gets flatter, not 10 - 20 cents sharper as mentioned above. The reed may be more open, but the cane becomes softer, and therefore is able to stay in concert pitch at a much lower elevation. I find the cane gets stiffer in the bone-dry air of winter, and the elevation shrinks down a little and therefore tends to play sharper, and must be opened slightly with the bridle. I only resort to moving the staple in or out of the reed seat twice per year, only if needed, because of the intonation issues raised above. Regular adjustments are accomplished solely with the bridle. Naturally, there's more than one way to skin a cat, but stiffness and elevation, although related, are two separate variables.
Last edited by uillmann on Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I always thought that higher humidity caused the cane to swell, reducing internal volume, making the reed sharper and quieter.
PJ
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Different kinds of humidity probably cause different results

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

PJ wrote:I always thought that higher humidity caused the cane to swell, reducing internal volume, making the reed sharper and quieter.
I suspect you are accustomed to reeds of a different ilk. A reed without much natural camber left will soften and collapse, as opposed to expanding and opening. Although reeds of that nature may not offer me as much tonal pizazz as I like, we are all striving for different timbres, and no one approach will suit all players' preferences.
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

Don't forget to take temperature into account. Warmer equals a rise in pitch.