Airs, Reels, and Other Questions for a New Piper

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
regnaR175
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Airs, Reels, and Other Questions for a New Piper

Post by regnaR175 »

So that none of you find me to be an idiot piper when you read the following question, know that I am a brand new one who just began on a half-set, O'Grady to be exact, in early January. I am learning well and having a blast, but have no access to instruction other than the internet and my tutor book, "New Approach to Uilleann Piping". So any advice from seasoned, or even intermediate pipers is greatly welcomed.

So, my question is about Airs. I have been reading all over that Airs are a complicated type of Irish traditional music to play, more so perhaps than reels, jigs, etc. Why is this? Keep in mind I am a brand new piper and know relatively nothing yet, but it seems that their slower tempo and smooth style would make them easier to learn that a super-fast reel. In fact, Airs are my favorite style and I am eager to be able to learn them. Not because I would think they were easier, but because I just love the way they sound...not that I don't love reels, jigs, and polkas though. I would love some advice on how to go about learning the different styles so that I don't develop bad habits or something. For example, should I really focus on polkas first, working up to faster reels, then trying out the slow airs...yada yada?

I also wouldn't mind any random advice any of you may have for me as a knube. Anything...whatever you wish someone would have told you when you first picked up a set of pipes. And if anyone knows a place to get instruction in the Phoenix, Arizona area that'd be great too. All I know is that I have never had this much fun learning an instrument. I will quickly mention I am also learning a D tin whistle and remember how to read music from my distant musical childhood.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Happy piping!
"Success is measured not by how high you climb, but by how high you bounce when you hit bottom"
"Pressure makes diamonds"
-Both by Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
regnaR175

Re: Airs, Reels, and Other Questions for a New Piper

Post by regnaR175 »

Oh, and one more thing. I cannot for the life of me roll F#. According to the book I'm using the grace-notes of the roll are ass follows: F# - A - F# - E - F#. How do you go from F# to A back to F# in that quick almost instant roll? My right ring finger and pinky do not want to come off the chanter and back on that fast to make the E. Hints?
"Success is measured not by how high you climb, but by how high you bounce when you hit bottom"
mukade

Post by mukade »

regnaR175 wrote:Oh, and one more thing. I cannot for the life of me roll F#. According to the book I'm using the grace-notes of the roll are ass follows: F# - A - F# - E - F#. How do you go from F# to A back to F# in that quick almost instant roll? My right ring finger and pinky do not want to come off the chanter and back on that fast to make the E. Hints?
Don't lift your pinky. The note is so short it doesn't need to be perfect.
You don't have to lift either finger. Just get the rhythm of the roll with a short stop of the chanter by replacing your middle finger.
When your ring finger is open, it gives a slightly different sound the roll.

There are no absolutes in uilleann piping.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

The rolls as described in the Clarke book are actually turn-arounds, where you go over and under the main note. Here's some suggestions for pipe rolls: For a short roll (quarter note), try starting with a grace note cut on the A (or alternately cut with the G), and then just tap the F#, e.g. {A}F#,F#. For a long roll (dotted quarter note), start with a grace note cut on the A, another grace note cut on the G (or alternately cut with the A again), and then tap the F#, e.g. {A}F#,F#{G}F#. You might want to consider getting the NPU uilleann pipes intstruction DVDs.

Slow airs come up here over and over again. There are two types: those with known lyrics, and those with no known lyrics. The difficulty is not in the playing of the notes, but in the timing. If you are trying to play a slow air with no known lyrics, you can take the timing from an existing recorded version. If you are playing a slow air with known lyrics, you are expected to play it exactly as sung, which requires you to understand at least the first two verses in the Irish language to get the timing and nuances correct. This is where the "difficulty" comes from if you are not conversant with Irish.

If you are playing for an audience that wouldn't know a proper Irish slow air from a dump truck it doesn't really matter what you play, but as soon as you play a slow air for an audience that is familiar with the song, they will expect you to play it such that they can sing along with it. What's difficult about that? What's difficult is that traditional Irish slow airs have no rhythm, and no regular timing. You have to know the airs as they are sung in order to play the slow air correctly. Best is to get some recordings of well known Irish sean-nós singers and take your timing from them.

djm
Last edited by djm on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
billh

Post by billh »

Hi "RR75" (?):

I hope that you don't take offense at this - it is meant with the best of wishes, and after all, you *did* ask for advice. I hope other new players will find it useful if a bit didactic...

First of all, since you took delivery of a new set in "early January", and today is the first day of February, I would say first and foremost that you are getting way ahead of yourself. Rolls after three weeks??? No way. You should be practicing bag and bellows technique and playing long, steady notes for the first weeks - no tunes at all. Leo Rowsome's suggested schedule for learners years back included exercises and scales for the first couple of years. The only reason for even considering a simple tune at this stage is to keep yourself from succumbing totally to boredom. And face it, if you are getting impatient at this stage, there's little hope for you, barring some kind of conversion experience. The pipes will teach you patience if nothing else!

My suggestion for an adult would be that bag and bellows technique, if you are to get it right and avoid bad habits, will preoccupy you for the first month or so. The D and eventually G scales, properly practiced with both legato and stacatto technique, will take weeks more, and should continue to be practiced for the first year. You can think about a simple 'song air' (as opposed to a "slow air" - a term usually reserved for advanced playing of songs in Irish) like Eileen Aroon [Eibhlín a Ruin] or the West Wind, around the second month. Getting that to sound like music will give you plenty to do!

Especially coming from outside the tradition as you are (and as I did), it's vital that you listen a lot to good piping - and not just piping, Irish traditional music in general. Avoid highly produced, "exciting" commercial stuff played fast - better is some moderately paced, tasteful stuff. Put it on your iPod or mp3 player or victrola or whatever, and listen to it every day. Do you drive? Listen to it in the car too.

I take it that you are an adult - or at least over 15 or so. One can learn pipes as an adult and make progress (I did), but it takes longer.

OK, now for the satisfaction of your curiousity, yes the Clarke roll directions are correct, and whatever anybody else wants to call them, in Irish piping we generally call them "rolls". Their rhythm is unlike classical music's rolls or turns (which you can learn from listening); they are composed of a long-ish note, such as F#, and two motions which we call the 'cut' and the 'pat' - the cut being a quick lift of an upper finger (in this case the A finger), and the pat being a quick 'patting' motion of one or two lower fingers (in this case the F# finger itself). There are in fact several types of F# roll, as mukade infers, but you should not infer from what he said that "anything goes" - there are in fact very definite aspects to each flavor of F# roll. In short, there are many correct ways to play them, and an infinite number of incorrect ways... listen to them, but for now, don't try to play them.

I would strongly recommend working on cuts for a good while before thinking about rolls. It will take a good bit of time for you to achieve nice clean cuts on each note. Try to get your cuts to sound like the ones on the Clarke tape/CD (I do hope you have the CD!).

The Clarke book is excellent IMO. But getting all the way through it should take years for most adults - you can't just move on to a new lesson each day! Or even each week, unless you are a true genius and are spending hours a day practicing. In which case you'll probably injure yourself - easy to do with these, if you don't have good tuition.

You live in a challenging environment for piping - reeds hate dry weather, and you are not near any reedmakers who can help - you are also a long way from the epicentre of piping. There are some learners in your area who may be able to help; but bear in mind that they are isolated too, so try to do a sanity check on advice you are given. Get yourself to a tionól or pipers' gathering, preferably a major one with a high standard of piping, as soon and often as possible.

In the meantime, I'd suggest joining NPU (http://www.pipers.ie) - it will give you access to videos, recordings, and tutorials of fine pipers among other benefits. If you start with some of the simple tutorials there, you can ask for information in their forum or this one - at least we'll be sure to be talking about the same things.

Of course the other important thing is to have fun, and I'm glad to hear that you're having fun. Might as well get off to the right start, it will lead to even more fun in the future.

Did I mention listening ? ;-)

good luck and best regards,

Bill
mukade

Post by mukade »

Good post Bill.

I didn't mean that anything goes.
I meant that the Clarke tutor doesn't cover everything. Neither do any of the other tutors.
They all have their own particular methods, none of which are complete, and they leave a lot of questions in the mind of a new learner.

As Bill says, you must be flying through the book.
Doing rolls after less than a month?
It is would be best to find a real teacher before bad habits take hold.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Bill I can honestly say that is one of the best posts I have seen on this forum.So good in fact I think it should be part of the sticky on FAQ perhaps under the banner getting started.Well done. :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
billh

Post by billh »

Uilliam wrote:Bill I can honestly say that is one of the best posts I have seen on this forum.So good in fact I think it should be part of the sticky on FAQ perhaps under the banner getting started.Well done. :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
Thanks 'liam;

I thought you were going to tell me to get back to work! :lol:
regnaR175

Post by regnaR175 »

Thank you, all! Bill, your advice helps immensely -- and no, I do not take offense in any way. In fact, I myself was thinking, "hmm, this is a bit fast" :o . I have been making the mistake of assuming my learning of the musical method is equivalent to learning how to play this instrument. Indeed, the two are completely different, yet related disciplines. I have been picking up where I left off at the end of each practice session, only going back a page or two to review the material. Huge mistake -- one that I should know better given everything else I have ever learned, instrument or not. No wonder I could not get that roll to work, I am not supposed to be able to at this stage. As far as patience goes, I will practice "Hot Cross Buns" every single day for the next year if need be :lol: . Just being able to successfully transition from one note to the next is rewarding enough. This goes along with the excitement of learning to conquer all of those components I mentioned previously.

djm, that is really interesting about the slow airs. I have been trying to listen to as many sean-nós singers as I can, but didn't know about the playing of slow airs requiring such language specific technique. In fact, it makes me a bit more reverent of the music to say the least. Irish traditional music has fascinated me for a lifetime for many reasons, the sheer tradition and story-telling being among the top. With this in mind it would occur to me not to try to get into playing slow airs, etc. without first understanding them...even if no one were to ever hear me play them.

Considering my inability to go get proper training, this advice has been great, refreshing even. I appreciate it greatly, and am excited to continue discussing piping with you all on this forum throughout my learning adventure. I am always, always, always welcoming advice and hints should you have any more.

Thanks again!

RLTW
amckay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by amckay »

Listen to lots of piping cd's. Play them over and over until you know every little tiny detail of how the tunes are played. I underestimated this advice when I was first learning pipes, as it was some of the best advice I was ever given.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

regnaR175 wrote:And if anyone knows a place to get instruction in the Phoenix, Arizona area that'd be great too.
Doesn't the Irish Cultural Center in Phoenix offer classes, lessons, teacher referrals, etc.?

http://www.azirish.org/index.php?topic=Academy
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
samiam590

Post by samiam590 »

billh wrote:Hi "RR75" (?):
*insert smart words*
Bill
Well said. Good advice for a person like me who is awaiting a set of pipes. Solid advice on the advice about Irish language and the airs, as well. This is why I hope to be in a Modern Irish course once i get to college...gets me working on knowing this sort of stuff.
Psalm 33:3
Sing to Him a new song;
Play skillfully with a shout of joy
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

billh wrote:
Thanks 'liam;

I thought you were going to tell me to get back to work! :lol:
:wink: How well ye know me! I was thinking that actually...but as it was Sunday I guessed ye were having a wee break however, time is galloping on," so back t' mill lad" :thumbsup:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Concerning airs: They DO have a meaning. So, here is something I had to learn when I lived in Donegal (as a non-local) for some time: If you have nothing to say - then don´t :boggle: (otherwise it is just a formal exercise).

My two Eurocents
markat23dotcom

Post by markat23dotcom »

Just so you know: I was a student of Bill's, and I didn't get any more than that out of him in at least the first two months of tuition, and it cost money!

--Mark, whose phrasing still sounds Chinese sometimes after two years hard work
Mark Swartz
Sydney, Australia