North East Tionol: Update

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Take good care of the So Cal folks this weekend. We don't know what all that cool air and forest stuff is.

I wished I could go..oh well...
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

They were still alive when I left yesterday (and still playing!) .... it was AWESOME. Kudos to KAD and Skip and St. Benedict and everyone else who put the NE Tionol together. It was the most wonderful music weekend I've ever been lucky enough to be part of; just magical. The teachers were grand, the concert was a religious experience, the venue was ideal and the people were just fantastic.

OK, I'm home to bed. Plane didn't land 'til midnight last night, full day of wurk today. I'm shot!

I'll miss being lulled to sleep and woken up again by all that wonderful piping, though. Amazing.

Peace,
cat.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Cathy Wilde wrote:They were still alive when I left yesterday (and still playing!) .... it was AWESOME. Kudos to KAD and Skip and St. Benedict and everyone else who put the NE Tionol together. It was the most wonderful music weekend I've ever been lucky enough to be part of; just magical. The teachers were grand, the concert was a religious experience, the venue was ideal and the people were just fantastic.

OK, I'm home to bed. Plane didn't land 'til midnight last night, full day of wurk today. I'm shot!

I'll miss being lulled to sleep and woken up again by all that wonderful piping, though. Amazing.

Peace,
cat.
[quick comments]
1. Yeah, what The Wilde One said! (a treat to meet you finally BTW)

2. A fantastically well-run event all together.

3. Great to meet so many musicians I had only heard or heard of before too. Legends in the flesh.

4. And yes, my piping underwent quite an overhaul :oops: but I hope to come out a better piper after all the woodshedding I now must do. Will my clean-triplet journey ever end? :-?

5. Planning your next party or event? Invite The Canadians![/quick comments]

Tommy Klee (too tired to spell it all out).
skipjam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by skipjam »

"Legends ?in the flesh?"

Tommy, I thought that what happened in the Catskills, stayed in the Catskills!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Yup, for me it's not "Back To Square One;" it's "Still At Square One, Maybe Forever." :oops:

But brilliant stuff. All the teachers were fantastic, including our Mr. D'Arcy (even though he made me cry ;-) -- OK, in reality I made myself cry; it just happened to be in his class). And Ivan Goff is now Professor Goff in my book. I shall be Jesuitical about tone in all my pursuits henceforth.

And ditto on the Canadians, EH! It was good to see Nico again.

And Mick O'Brien eats his eggs just like the rest of us (except for the bit of panicked mouth-froth I flung on them when I realized who I was sitting next to at breakfast).

BTW, if you need a clever, stylish, and incredibly handsome T-shirt design for your next piping event, tommyk's yer maun.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

skipjam wrote:"Legends ?in the flesh?"

Tommy, I thought that what happened in the Catskills, stayed in the Catskills!
Don't worry, Skip. I'll never tell. But you did look awfully cute in that sarong.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
BTW, if you need a clever, stylish, and incredibly handsome T-shirt design for your next piping event, tommyk's yer maun.
Very good Cat, you almost wrote that exactly the way we rehearsed it. You did forget the er on the end of design, however.

T
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

tommykleen wrote:
Cathy Wilde wrote:
Very good Cat, you almost wrote that exactly the way we rehearsed it. You did forget the er on the end of design, however.

T
:oops: See what happens when you rush me? I need time to prepare. ;-)
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Cathy Wilde wrote:It was good to see Nico again.
Likewise!

Good job Tommy (and Patrick and Larry) on the Patsy Touhey Experience. Finest bit of piping at a piper's chair I've heard yet.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Wow, what an event! Really a great time and I'm still trying to recover and now must scurry and practice even more. The classes were brilliant, the people wonderful, the music incredible and the number of Patrick's staggering. I really enjoyed putting names to faces and meeting some of my piping heroes.

The Sunday night session had to be seen to be believed. You can't imagine a greater sounding group playing such a great selection of tunes.

The sheer number of brilliant younger players was staggering (and humbling). Thanks to everyone responsible for putting together such a great event and I can't wait until next year!
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

...so .... tired.... need.... sleep..... ;)

Brilliant weekend! Thanks to all the gang in the "NORTH EAST" Pipers Club for everything. Great music and great craic :) It was great to see everyone.

Crackle!

Patrick.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Yep - had a seriously unserious blast.

Speaking as a Canadian now, all we can be responsible for is feeding off the fantastic energy of everyone else (normally, the cause of humour is to fend off the flippin' cold!) But watching Mick O'Brien falling asleep playing tunes on a practise set near to 4am (and playing better than I do in my dreams) was in particular something I will not soon forget.

Tom, thanks for the beer - no problem taking it back. I'll toast you when I open each one. Do you have any copies of the Touhey Reel? (hahaha, still laughing at that one!!)

Patrick D'Arcy -- the pipes are beautiful and so is your playing young man ;)

Hmmm... feeling like some Rice Krispiesfor some reason.

Oh, and of course I have a few pix from the weekend, you can download any if you want 'em. ;)

Best to all!
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
No E

Post by No E »

Paul Reid wrote: Tom, thanks for the beer - no problem taking it back. I'll toast you when I open each one. ...
Hey! the Oktoberfest's were mine :D

Serious fun was had by all. Paul and Virgil were a big help in overcoming my deep fear and suspicion of all things Canadian (until this beer thing).

Many thanks to all who contributed to the tionól's success.

-Larry
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
KAD

Post by KAD »

No E wrote:
Paul Reid wrote: Tom, thanks for the beer - no problem taking it back. I'll toast you when I open each one. ...
Hey! the Oktoberfest's were mine :D

Serious fun was had by all. Paul and Virgil were a big help in overcoming my deep fear and suspicion of all things Canadian (until this beer thing).

Many thanks to all who contributed to the tionól's success.

-Larry
It was our pleasure, Larry! Great to meet everyone, especially those who came from afar.

Mark your calendars for October 23-25, 2009, folks!!

Dare I hope that Gavin's will be a stop on the 2009 Patsy Touhey Experience World Tour?

Best Regards,
Snap
KarenCook

Post by KarenCook »

Marking calendar now.. I see a East-West Tionol 2009 for us... as long as we can coordinate it with the SoCal Tionol... :D