The golden age of piping,who's too blame?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

There was a film called Dragon Slayer (IIRC) that also showed GHBs while the UPs were playing. :boggle:
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

So back to the topic at hand here...

Which is of course Braveheart the movieImage
The ludicrous statue of Mel Gibson sorry Wallace at Stirling
And finally what I think of this thread
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

:really:
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

To be strictly accurate, those vertical smiles would have to be Irish - the extras in the battle scenes in Braveheart were mostly members of the FCA - the Irish Army Reserves!!
PJ
djimbo

Post by djimbo »

I have the movie, and in the extra features, is a little clip were Mel claims the uilleann pipes were used because they were "more melodical" then the highland pipes
Of course as we all know, they also burn much sweeter on a bonfire :)

There's one bit in that filum that always cracks me up (I know, I know I'm just a big soft girl :boggle: ), just near the end a few seconds before they're going to chop his head off.
He sees his dead wife in the audience and just for one note the pipes clear the orchestra they're being drowned by. :sniffle:

Djimbo.
Fools rush in and get all the best seats.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Uilliam wrote:Image[/URL]
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
Good one Uilliam,are they taking part in the Glasgee gay pride parade,and decided to send out some invitations

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Eldarion

Re: The golden age of piping,who's too blame?

Post by Eldarion »

rorybbellows wrote:I dont think many would argue that we are going through what must be considered the golden age of Uilleann piping.
I think many of the top players would dispute this and much would depend on what you mean by golden age. At best I would say the instrument is having a very successful revival. Sure we have a greater proliferation of the instrument and more people playing it but quantity doesn't necessarily equate to quality. Moreover the styles are becoming more homogeneous and less varied nowadays with structured teaching/playing methods and the "star effect" of the popularisation of a small number of individuals. Stylistically there doesn't seem to have been major developments in the playing of the instrument since Seamus Ennis. I wouldn't exactly call that a golden age..
Last edited by Eldarion on Apr 23, 2012 18:14; edited 100 times in total
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Exactamont ol Eldarion my thoughts in a nutshell....wot feckin present day Golden Age?Have I missed something :boggle:
Rory as ye well know that is the normal Glaschu greeting to the Sassanach of course taken from the Irsh Póg Mo Thóin ,the response is entirely up to said sassana but it twould be a fool who mistook it for a Gay Pride March :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
PS now back to the subject wich is Braveheart,Titanic,Rob Rory and Snow White and the 7 vertically challeged workaholics....
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I wouldn't call it a golden age either. Maybe if the recent interest in piping were to be sustained for 40 or 50 more years, we could call it a golden age. I think we're merely witnessing a spike in interest which peaked 3 or 4 years ago and which, like the global economy, is now waning.

Hey - maybe there's a link between the global economy and uilleann piping. Finally, a theme for my thesis.

Oh well, it beats practising.
PJ
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

PJ wrote:
Hey - maybe there's a link between the global economy and uilleann piping. Finally, a theme for my thesis.

Oh well, it beats practising.
youve said more than a mouthful there PJ...live entertainers (of the non-stadium-sellout sort..in other words.. REAL talent) is a leading economic indicator...bell wether if you will... first to go during the crunch.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

That's right, like a canary in a coal mine unfortunately.
PJ

Post by PJ »

Seriously, most of the adverts for pipes for sale mention that the vendor has to pay for something else - new house, kid's othodontics, crashed car, etc. Pipes are a big, expensive luxury, and the first thing to go when the belts have to be tightened.

I'd be curious to see if a lot of fair-weather pipers cancel orders if the economy goes south. I'd bet that some of the long waiting lists will be significantly cut.
PJ
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

No matter what the reason,I dont see how anyone could argue that is indeed the golden age in Uilleann pipe history up to this point, and anyone who disagrees I've noticed has not given an alternative.
I think We have both quantity and quality with the pipers and pipemakers
at the present time.
As for the waning popularity of the pipes ,If you live in the arsehole of nowhere its understandable you might think this, but anyone who has been to Willie week or the Doran weekend will know differently.

So when would you consider to be the golden age Uilleann pipes so far

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

PD.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »