what other pipers think of uilleann pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
chanterdan
antispam: No

what other pipers think of uilleann pipes

Post by chanterdan »

i found this on another forum,and had to share it,thought it was pretty funny.HA! :lol: Stay away from Uilleann bagpipes. They are ridiculously overpriced. Still, very hard to find a good sounding set. Most makers just want your money and are not capable of making good sounding chanters and especially reeds. And then even if you have an acceptable quality/sounding/playable instrument, you will find that learning to play the Uilleann pipes is horror. Most chanters I heard and played are out of tune in either the first or second octave. Most have terribly weak croaking back D.
On the other hand, the Great Highland Bagpipe (GHB) and its bellows versions are the best type of pipes on Earth. You have dozens of makers all selling high quality instruments for a fraction of the price of Uillean sets. The chanter reeds are well standardized, stable, high quality, good sounding and inexpensive. GHB chanters are very easy to tune perfectly compared to Uilleann chanters.
Huh
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

hahaha yeh I read that too: guess he/she really digs SSP's...
o well :P
MarkS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: what other pipers think of uilleann pipes

Post by MarkS »

Sounds like someone needs to get out more. :D
chanterdan wrote:The [GHB and SSP] chanter reeds are well standardized, stable, high quality, good sounding and inexpensive.
OK, but they're only required to play in one octave. Go for two, then we'll talk. :boggle:
chanterdan wrote: GHB chanters are very easy to tune perfectly compared to Uilleann chanters.
Shirley, you jest. :lol:
Cheers,
Mark

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
brianc

Post by brianc »

Yeah, the old "It's too difficult so I'll criticize it" routine.

Oh well, I guess it's true what they say, 'We often criticize what we don't understand.'

Feh.

That highland piper/whinger might want to see the first set of highland pipes that I'd ever seen... they were in excess of $10,000,000 - and that was some 15 years ago. The piper that owned them also owned a set of UPs made by Dave Williams that cost far less.
chanterdan

Post by chanterdan »

Sounds like someone needs to get out more. mark, iam not the author , its not mine ,read it again .geeze
Darran

Post by Darran »

maybe we should get everyone a set of glasses on the forums, what with the amount of misinterpreted/read posts lately :P
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

chanterdan wrote:Sounds like someone needs to get out more. mark, iam not the author , its not mine ,read it again .geeze
Sorry chanterdan, that was intended for the author, not for you.
Cheers,
Mark

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
gillespie

Post by gillespie »

I think we should just let them think that. because if they think that these things are so outrageous all in all, it'll make the good sounding players look like gods :wink:
G Burman

Post by G Burman »

Hah, sounds like another jealous snob who will never know the joy of dedication, patience, humility, eccentricity, adventure and best of all, the satisfaction that comes with success when we challege ourselves with a truly unique and difficult instrument. Oh, also I would recommend not inviting that person to a session.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Thought for the day;
It may be worth remembering that whatever anyone else thinks o me is none of my business .
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
nadav

reeds

Post by nadav »

as a GHB player, i want to comment on the high-quality GHB reeds.
let's say you buy 5. you'll then expect 3 to be okay (or at least playble), 2 of them are in tune close enough to what you want, but always not really there. 1 of them will be harder then you want, and 1 will be okay.
and this is from a well reputated pipe-maker... ( in a good day :D )

MarkS wrote
OK, but they're only required to play in one octave. Go for two, then we'll talk.
i've heared GHB going to a second octave... but that just because the set was very crappy,and couldn't get down from the high notes to the low notes without ugly overtones... yes.... Pakistan's wounderfull sets are everywhere... and that set was untuneable at all...
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

poorly informed wrote: Stay away from Uilleann bagpipes. They are ridiculously overpriced. Still, very hard to find a good sounding set. Most makers just want your money and are not capable of making good sounding chanters and especially reeds. And then even if you have an acceptable quality/sounding/playable instrument, you will find that learning to play the Uilleann pipes is horror. Most chanters I heard and played are out of tune in either the first or second octave. Most have terribly weak croaking back D.
On the other hand, the Great Highland Bagpipe (GHB) and its bellows versions are the best type of pipes on Earth. You have dozens of makers all selling high quality instruments for a fraction of the price of Uillean sets. The chanter reeds are well standardized, stable, high quality, good sounding and inexpensive. GHB chanters are very easy to tune perfectly compared to Uilleann chanters.
Huh
I'm willing to bet that this indiviual is a "closet" Uilleann Piper... someday they'll "come out" and then the world will be as it should be. :lol:
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

And then even if you have an acceptable quality/sounding/playable instrument, you will find that learning to play the Uilleann pipes is horror.
That's hilarious!
mark2olson

Post by mark2olson »

chanterdan wrote:On the other hand, the Great Highland Bagpipe (GHB) and its bellows versions are the best type of pipes on Earth. You have dozens of makers all selling high quality instruments for a fraction of the price of Uillean sets. The chanter reeds are well standardized, stable, high quality, good sounding and inexpensive. GHB chanters are very easy to tune perfectly compared to Uilleann chanters.
Huh
Pipe smack! (I thought that was limited to rivals in sports)
Regulator envy, perhaps?
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Uilliam wrote:Thought for the day;
It may be worth remembering that whatever anyone else thinks o me is none of my business .
Uilliam
:D

(O I wish youd put a picture to go with that one Uilliam...)

If im not mistaken; the author of chanterdan's quote visits THIS forum regularly also...