For Sale Howard practice pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
JerryT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

For Sale Howard practice pipes

Post by JerryT »

Hi All

I have a set of howard pipes which have seen negligible use. I have found it difficult to progress on a self taught basis ( although have done much better with a low whistle!)
I'd like the pipes to go to a good home where they will be used, instead of living in a case ignored.
Price open to negotiation, as I'm not sure what they are worth.
Please e-mail for further details ( I'm not sure if telephone numbers are allowed, but if they are I'm on 01543 491485).

regards
JerryT
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: For Sale Howard practice pipes

Post by rorybbellows »

JerryT wrote: Price open to negotiation, as I'm not sure what they are worth.

Unfortunally Jerry Howard pipes are not worth very much ,but you seem like a nice bloke so I,ll give you fifty pounds for them!!
I would advise you not to talk to anyone else about this matter and I will give you a call later

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Nice try Rory. Nearly got another one. If you're serious, though, I've a nice mouth-blown practice chanter with plastic reeds you can have for $99.95. :wink:

Jerry - On the off chance that you are seriously considering Rory's offer, have a look here for an idea of the cost of a new practice set of Howard pipes:

http://www.howardmusic.co.uk/Frameset%20howardmusic.htm

(click on chanter, bag and bellows on the menu on the left side of the screen).
PJ
DIAGONALINE

Post by DIAGONALINE »

Hi Jerry

Brian Howards web site is showing a basic practice set at £925.00

You could try putting them on Ebay.

Good Luck

Les.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I often have daydreams of walking into some antique shop and finding an old coyne or egan set in perfect order in the bottom of an old trunk and the owner of the shop saying ,ah that old thing gimme fifty quid for it !!

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

rorybbellows wrote:I often have daydreams of walking into some antique shop and finding an old coyne or egan set in perfect order in the bottom of an old trunk and the owner of the shop saying ,ah that old thing gimme fifty quid for it !!

RORY
I think that this particular dream is one all of us pipers have... more often than not.

Similar to the story (I am uncertaint of it's authenticity) of how Seamus Ennis' dad found the now famed C# coyne on a shelf in a bar, and bought it off them for very little dosh.
kenr

Post by kenr »

I think you'll find James Ennis bought the Coyne in a Pawn brokers not a bar.
Ken
Joseph E. Smith

kenr wrote:I think you'll find James Ennis bought the Coyne in a Pawn brokers not a bar.
Ken
Ahhhh, yes. My memory sucks rocks. :oops:
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

James Ennis found the set in a London pawn shop around the turn of the 20th century (1905 or something). The pipes were in a bit of disrepair and were just a bunch of parts in a bag. I think he paid something like 5 pounds for them...more than a bit of dosh back in those days, but not bad, I suppose.

I don't know how common an occurence it is with uilleann pipes (I'm aware of one such incident in the NW US, but I'm sworn to secrecy about it), but there have been plenty of occurences of people finding absolute gems in the rough with GHBs. You know, grandad kicked the bucket and his pipes are collecting dust in the attic and granny is only too happy to get rid of them, that sort of thing...My old teacher Jay Salter used to tell stories about how in the late-'70s and '80s, he, Eric Rigler, and some of their piping friends used to sometimes go cruising on weekends in LA and try to hit as many garage sales as possible looking for old pipes. Didn't happen often, of course, but there were a few times when somebody walked away with an antique set of Glens or Hendersons purchased for the princely sum of $50 or less...

Ah, those glorious pre-eBay days...
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I know of The Wooff Harrington appearing in a cardboard box for 200 Aus$, The Mal Whyte Beehive set in an English antique shop for very little, I know of a Kenna that was advertised in an Irish paper as 'bagpipes for sale' and went for 200 punt, a Ned Whyte set from under the floorboards of an old building, a Robert Reid full set for £200, I have turned one down by the same maker which went for 1500 punt. A few years ago a Limerick antique dealer appeared at the Willie week asking about his pipes he had, they turned out to be made (possibly the only set) by the grandfather of one of the pipers and he was delighted when he snapped it up. I was also offered a concert pitch set some years ago, also from an English antique shop but snapped up by a dealer (and sold at a price), it was a boxwood very old and bent looking thing; it turned out to be a very early Dan O Dowd in the end. And more examples are doing the rounds in stories.

Yes it happens. But it's only after finding them and trying to get them working your trouble really start in most cases.
Last edited by Cayden on Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

someone from the London pipers club got a set from an antique shop for 100 quid or so, and it turned out they were valued at 20 grand! It's the set that appeared in an edition of An Piobaire with a request for identification from Pat Stones, the pipemaker who restored them.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

it turned out they were valued at 20 grand!
I know a family sitting on a set they is worth 30 grand. Dream on..
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Peter Laban wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope they buy a decent sofa with the 30k :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Joseph E. Smith

Uilliam wrote:
Peter Laban wrote:
I hope they buy a decent sofa with the 30k :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

you are probably right Peter. The pipers is scared to play them now too!