B flat chanter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:...ut from D to Bb, well, it'll take a bit of getting used to... especially if your hands are on the smallish side.
Depends on the chanter design, as has been noted on this forum before. Ask the maker for details if you are in doubt as to whether you can span it. I know of a published B design[1], at least, with a right-hand span no wider than many concert pitch chanters. On the other hand, Joe's right, some Bflats and even C's can be real tendon-stretchers[2]; my point being that you shouldn't let the hand stretch issue scare you away from flat chanters altogether.

[1] - the SRS 'possible John Coyne chanter' described by John Hughes. Can't recall if it's v1 or v2. Coyne C and C# are almost the same in bottom-hand width, at most 1.5mm narrower. This apparent ergonomic focus is one of the things that impresses me about Coyne.
[2] - Kiernan Bflats, for instance, can be pretty wide.
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

I've got C, B and Bb Angus chanters and the C has the widest stretch by a few mm. The B and Bb have a larger gap between the hands and are thicker so the tone hole chimneys are longer.
Simon
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

...The Tone-Hole Chimneys: my new, favorite band name!

T
No E

Post by No E »

I play a very nice B set by Peter Hunter (reeded by Alan Burton, w/ regs by Brad Angus). It's based on a Coyne design.

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
johnnie nine fingers

Best B Chanter

Post by johnnie nine fingers »

Foresight , wisdom , clarity , lack of prejucide - Thank you for all your replies ; The finger span issue is very helpful to note . :)
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

tommykleen wrote:...The Tone-Hole Chimneys: my new, favorite band name!

T
Better than the punk band the A-hole chimneys.
Simon
oliver

Re: Best B Chanter

Post by oliver »

johnnie nine fingers wrote: The finger span issue is very helpful to note . :)
I bought a Wooff Bb set last year (second-hand, some people on this forum will probably remember), and was playing a D set before. It's true it takes some time to get used to the span, but once it's done, it's great. I noticed it's a lot easier for me to play a D chanter now, seems so small in comparison, so that might be an advantage if you intend to switch from from Bb to D and back to Bb sometimes, as I do.
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

No E wrote:I play a very nice B set by Peter Hunter (reeded by Alan Burton, w/ regs by Brad Angus). It's based on a Coyne design.
Of all the B chanters I've tried, this one is my favorite.
giggleswicksam

Post by giggleswicksam »

I play a very nice B set by Peter Hunter (reeded by Alan Burton, w/ regs by Brad Angus). It's based on a Coyne design.
Of all the B chanters I've tried, this one is my favorite
Peter will be pleased.

Yes, they're based on a 1850 Coyne. I have one myself and it's great - sounds very old and is now suitably battered. Can be made with up to 7 keys, if you want one please message me - hope that's not too commercial!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

giggleswicksam wrote:... if you want one please message me - hope that's not too commercial!
... as long as it is like you've written: "message me" as opposed to "massage me"... the latter may bring up suspicions of personal solicitation via the old "rub my back" ploy. This ancient and and most devious of perverse cons has plagued (and ensnared) gentle folk for many millenia...... oh, nevemind.... :oops:
johnnie nine fingers

B flat Chanter

Post by johnnie nine fingers »

Giggleswicksam - what is your email address ? Id be very interested to discuss this further Johnnie 9 fingers
carel

Post by carel »

go to his website
jdevereux

Post by jdevereux »

I'd be wary of Bb chanters by Brad Angus if you're a newbie, there have been tuning issues there
I don't know what you're talking about. I have one of Brad's B chanters, and I have never had any problems with it. Its in tune with itself, and the rest of the set. The tone of this chanter is fantastic, I have yet to find a B chanter which has a more complex and pleasing tone. Maybe the nerds with the digital tuners might say its a few cents out here and there, but its not enough to be heard by anything other than a computer, and that's not who you're playing for!! Maybe there were problems with Brad's earlier stuff, I don't know, but this chanter, made in 2004 is, in my opinion, as close to perfect as I've found. If you're looking for a B or Bb chanter, I'd give Brad Angus a call.

-Jack Devereux
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Hiya Jack... or hi-jack.

You coming down to the Florida Tionol this spring?
bagpipe_bomb

Post by bagpipe_bomb »

I don't know what you're talking about. I have one of Brad's B chanters, and I have never had any problems with it. Its in tune with itself, and the rest of the set.
Couldn't agree with you more. I have a B chanter and a narrow bore D full set from Brad both of which are some of the finest pipes, tonally, I have ever played. When reeded correctly they are simply in tune. It has been my experience that Mr. Angus is especially generous with extra reeds when delivering a set so that the player can fool around with adjustments for climate etc. without worrying about ruining their only reed. (I asked for extras and he gave me enough so that I even had one to take apart for educational purposes)
I agree that a B chanter, by its nature, might be harder to produce tonally pleasing music on, but that tone is why someone would want one in the first place.

As an aside, I think that the detractors of this Scandinavian Angus set are playing a bit loose with their language and the moderators stated rules on "slagging" a maker.
Saying:
I'd be wary of Bb chanters by Brad Angus if you're a newbie, there have been tuning issues there
Is absolutely not a personal evaluation and opinion of a makers work.
If they had said:

"I, as a newbie, am sorry that I chose an Angus chanter. I and my friends were unable to get it in tune. I thought it was the makers fault"

I would add that to the collection of personal anecdotes offered about our instruments and put it in the balance when considering a B chanter.

Perhaps by "there", instead of slagging the general body of a makers work, the author meant "Denmark", or "my apartment in Denmark" where any number of factors might effect ones reed.

-Don