I'm liking all this new air

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I'm liking all this new air

Post by ausdag »

For the past so many years I've been playing with leaky bellows and leaky bag. Then I bought a new bellows (thanks CJ) and suddenly had more air then I'd been used to. After a year or so, I finally got me a new bag, just last weekend, a Kangaroo skin bag, no seasoning required and air tight as air tight can be and suddenly I have all the air in the world - well it feels that way. I can't believe how much I no longer have to pump and squeeze. I've been going way too long with leaks. It's taking me a little while to get used to it actually - I don't think my poor reed is enjoying the constant back D-cracking over-pressure.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
goldy

Post by goldy »

Good for you David. I am lucky that I've never had to experience leaks in my own set, but I did once play a leaky bellows and it sucked (and blew :D )

All the best.
We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all manage to live in the same box.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Good on you David. I've heard some really nice things about the kangaroo bag, and have given thought to getting one myself. Do you have a link to any literature that would be helpful to me?
glands

Post by glands »

Is there an extra little storage pouch for reeds and stuff on that bag?
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

goldy wrote:Good for you David. I am lucky that I've never had to experience leaks in my own set, but I did once play a leaky bellows and it sucked (and blew :D )

All the best.
Thanks Goldy. Actually the leaks kind of crept up on me over the years so I never really noticed until in the end, when playing someone else's pipes I noticed a big difference. When I did a dunk test on my bag it leaked bubbles like one of those fish tank stones that blow lots of bubbles.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Good on you David. I've heard some really nice things about the kangaroo bag, and have given thought to getting one myself. Do you have a link to any literature that would be helpful to me?
Thanks Joseph. I actually don't know too much about the 'roo skin myself but I can send you the email address of the maker who knows al about it.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

glands wrote:Is there an extra little storage pouch for reeds and stuff on that bag?
Yeah, but the joey (that's a baby kangaroo) just simply refuses to go find a new home, so not much space :D
kb

Post by kb »

ausdag wrote: Yeah, but the joey (that's a baby kangaroo) just simply refuses to go find a new home, so not much space :D
Does joey shriek in tune with the pipes when you squeeze him and the bag?
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

'Roo bags have been considered the crème de la crème, the shizz-net, if you will, by Highland pipers for about 30 or 40 years now...perhaps more. Everyone I know who has played one talks about them with far more excitement and passion than should be healthy for talking about pipe bags...
I'd be curious to know who's making them...
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

I have also heard great things about the kangaroo bags. Actually I thought you couldn't get roo bags anymore.

I hope it wasn't Skippy. :D I know I am dating myself on that one.

Could I get that link too David?

Thanks
illwinds

Post by illwinds »

Kangaroo skin is the latest thing in saxophone pads. It is a very high quality leather, long lasting, doesn't leak, or stick to the metal toneholes.
I would appreciate that link also.
Thanks.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

What is with Southern California license plate avatars??- Pat D'Arcy and now Illwinds. Drat! Wished I'd thought of it.

Is kangaroo leather importable in to the States, specifically California? I was talking to a sax player at work who didn't think so.
djm

Post by djm »

A quick Google says California is the only US state to ban imports of kangaroo leather. From what little I have read, it looks like pretty much all kangaroos are harvested from the wild, with only a few Australian states making any effort to license or control harvesting. I am not aware that there is any immediate concern over kangaroo populations. Howevr, there are several write-ups which explain why kangaroo leather is stronger and more consistent than calf leather.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

fel bautista wrote:What is with Southern California license plate avatars??- Pat D'Arcy and now Illwinds. Drat! Wished I'd thought of it.

Is kangaroo leather importable in to the States, specifically California? I was talking to a sax player at work who didn't think so.
Don't forget Eskin.... he started it :lol:

PD.
illwinds

Post by illwinds »

"Nobody walks in L.A."
And on-topic; the tanned roo leather sax pads mentioned are available from U.S distributors to all states. I have not heard of any California restrictions on this product. Now if only these bags were available in black (as the afore-mentioned sax pads are) I couldn't write a check fast enough!