On eBAY: Kirk Lynch Half Set in D + spare KQ chanter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

hmm, seller is a member since Jan 04, 2006...

Scam? (One would assume so from the very start, of course... given the mysterious listing of an identically described item under a different seller name...) Then again, under payment methods:

"Payment methods accepted
There are no available payment methods in your country. Please do not bid on this item."

Weird.

Bill
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

The China-based seller is suspicious - no previous sales. The US-based seller (i.e. the first auction) looks legit.

Does anyone know the US-based seller?
PJ
billh

Post by billh »

Yes PJ, I meant that the Chinese sale looked suspicious; I didn't mean to cast any doubt on the US seller/sale. Thanks for pointing that out.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

One should always verify that the seller is legit. On eBAY, e-mail contact with the seller would start that; phone contact would be even better.

It has happened before - people have lifted auction info and photos and listed fraudulent auctions on eBAY - with no success, I hope.
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

I just reported this to Ebay. It will take some time for them to respond. How about a little fun in the meantime? I am thinking of putting in an opening bid of £50,000, anyone want to top that?

Mike
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I emailed the US-based seller who replied that he's also notified eBay of the other sale.
Mike Hulme wrote:How about a little fun in the meantime? I am thinking of putting in an opening bid of £50,000, anyone want to top that?
That would be fun, but to place a bid, do you risk giving the seller your eBay account and/or PayPal details?
PJ
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

PJ - No, there is no risk. The bid goes through Ebay, and at the end you just don't pay!

Mike
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

I see the Chinese guy is also selling a set of Hamish Moore smallpipes.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
maze

kQ and lynch

Post by maze »

Okay, this is a smoking deal and someone is going to walk away with a really nice set of pipes.

I recently restored a Lynch full set, which balance wise played quite nicely with my Koehler chanter... as many know, i play both the Koehler chanter and a BK-reeded Lynch chanter just about daily (well, pre-baby) and for about every gig I play.

The two makers, both of the highest integrity and quality available, simply pursued quite different sonic aesthetics to a certain extent. My Lynch chanter dates back to the early 90's (a few bore designs ago) and plays with a far more subdued tone to it than the BK stick... it has more of an intonation or brightness of a flat chanter, but with the nyaa still present... very very sweet stick... whereas the the BK chanter, equally sweet and according to Brian McNamara the best chanter he has ever played... honks... buzzy, bright, rowdy like a Rowsome according to Brian, but with the sweetness of K+Q's work...

I swap between them for different moods... different needs, different types of tunes or arrangements.

I express this simply to point out that the mating of the KQ chanter with the Lynch drones should be a very nice set of pipes. Balancing the set with some rereeding of the Lynch stick should not be an issue, esp. if Kirk's synthetic (or Seths for that matter) drone reeds are purchased as they take no effort at all. Plus, Kirk is frankly not really making regulators anymore anyway, so that won't be an issue.

Whoever amongst you are interested in this set, I feel confident that barring any casualties of piping, it is worth the bucks absolutely.
Jumper

Re: kQ and lynch

Post by Jumper »

maze wrote:Kirk is frankly not really making regulators anymore
http://www.uilleannforum.com/forums/vie ... =2364#2364
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
maze

i stand corrected

Post by maze »

I stand corrected. great new development there.

that's what i get for staying off line to change diapers for too long.

thanks jonathon.
PJ

Post by PJ »

The 1/2 set and the K&Q chanter are back on eBay - separate sales this time:

http://cgi.ebay.com/One-Half-Set-Of-Iri ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kohler-Quinn-Chante ... dZViewItem
PJ
glands

Post by glands »

If the K&Q chanter plays anything like mine of the same approximate vintage then it would be well worth the investment. I'd not agree to buy it sight unseen and without a test run, though. I'm done with buyin' pipes on eBay.
DarthWeasel

Tested

Post by DarthWeasel »

Hey All, Living in Newark DE, the buyer was a short 45min trip. So I gave it ago. The K&Q chanter has 3keys. I've only been playing for a year but I thought it sounded nice. Good bottom D, the intonation was good. It had some electric tape on it and was rushed by his former teacher Roy Rogers (No Joke).

The kirk lynch drones did not appear to function. They buyer however admitted to me that he has no idea what he needs to do to adjust them and hasn't attempted. Apparently he is a drummer who really wanted to learn the pipes but just wasn't musical enough.

I didn't try the lynch chanter since I wasn't interested in it at the time. My Gallagher 3/4 set is coming up soon so I'm going to pass on the chanter. This hobbie is too damn expensive.
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
Joseph E. Smith

Re: Tested

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

DarthWeasel wrote:This hobbie is too damn expensive.
I'd seriously consider getting the K&Q chanter, expensive or not, that chanter will only appreciate in value over time.