Aesthetics of a set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
glands
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glands »

leremarkable wrote
The result, to my eye anyway, is a beautiful mix of colours and textures on the instrument, that tell a unique tale about how much playing it gets, and how much music has been made on it.
Firstly, I can't wait to hear 'em played and, secondly, to see 'em for myself in March in Atlanta.

BzzzzT wrote
...Pope...
Ah ha! Another German pipemaker has broken into the scene!

Speaking of sounds of things.....how about Sinead O'Connor's voice! Not too many people on this planet can sing passionately between a shout and a whisper in the same line and create such a beautiful pleasing sound and also evoke so much emotion. I just downloaded her latest CD to my iPod from iTunes this weekend...Sinead does Reaggae, basically,.....good stuff. It comes with three 4 min videos. Damn, I nearly cried when I saw her smoking as that vice will put the wrong kind of "patina" on that lovely respiratory system. The one sad thing about a voice like hers is that it doesn't last forever, regardless of whether she will smoke fags (pun? you decide).
RomanPiper

Post by RomanPiper »

... Buffed highly polished brass certainly seems to send out the wrong message in the piping community... but normal (seasonal) maintenance seems to work... To many, it's an instrument of a lifetime. Having an instrument that has gone the miles and doesn't look that way is a good reflection of the owner. That has nothing to do with playing ability.

I just wish we could get Pipey to "pipe" in on this. Being an old sea dog, NOBODY keeps their brass more shiney than Pipey on his Seth set. I think he shines it on a daily basis and it looks like gold!
Hail Caesar!
RomanPiper

Post by RomanPiper »

P.S. He keeps his Harley looking the same way!
Hail Caesar!
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

[quote="RomanPiper NOBODY keeps their brass more shiney than Pipey on his Seth set. I think he shines it on a daily basis and it looks like gold![/quote]

maybe it is gold?? a lad i know from monaghan, connall curran, has a gold set of border pipes. they look savage and sound fantastic.
Big Time
RomanPiper

Post by RomanPiper »

maybe it is gold?? a lad i know from monaghan, connall curran, has a gold set of border pipes. they look savage and sound fantastic.

Hmm, could be, there is something other-worldly about its gleam... Last time I was in Piermont he was playing and a mouse climbed up his leg and used one of his regulator keys as a mirror to floss his teeth!

In all seriousness, Jim keeps his brass shining like the radiant sun and his 3/4 set is really beautiful as a result.
Hail Caesar!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

A shiny set of pipes does not always mean that the set doesn't get used, and a lot. It can mean the owner has a great deal of love and pride in their set, and want it to look its best all the time..

The same goes for doo-dads one hangs off their sets (me for instance), I do so because I want to personalize my set for my own reasons, and to hell with what others may think about it... it is none of their business.

I play the begeezus out my set all the same, and failing the unforeseen, I will continue to do so.
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

I have played out to more than a few weddings, wakes, funerals and general concerts over the past several years, and I've been one who likes to keep things on the shiny side vs. the dull patinaed look. I think it does look a bit off to show up to an event (weddings especially are a pretty big deal here and a lot of money goes into them) with grungy pipes - no matter how well they're played. But of course - to each their own.
RomanPiper

Post by RomanPiper »

Brian Lee wrote:I have played out to more than a few weddings, wakes, funerals and general concerts over the past several years, and I've been one who likes to keep things on the shiny side vs. the dull patinaed look. I think it does look a bit off to show up to an event (weddings especially are a pretty big deal here and a lot of money goes into them) with grungy pipes - no matter how well they're played. But of course - to each their own.
Exactly. Once Jim (who usually plays GHBs at such events) played his UPs at a wedding in Upstate NY. It was a crowd who was completely unfamiliar with UPs (maybe they'd seen or heard Riverdance) and they were completely taken not only by Pipey's playing, but the appearance of his pipes. He definitely made us all proud at that one!
Hail Caesar!
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

I polish them once every ten years, whether they need it or not.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Nice.
myrddinemrys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

asthetics . . .
pvc doesn't amount to much, but I won't go there.

I suppose it's a matter of personal taste. One COULD pull a hendrix and just burn the varnish off. You would then have a good CD title: Fingers of Flame
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
Gio

Eamonn Curran ful set

Post by Gio »

Hi guys,
any picture of a Curran full set??
thanks in advance.

ps. I did search but found nothing... or so it seems.. :-?
It was proper Bo', I tell thee!
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

Eamonn doesn't make full sets. He's a principal of a primary school and does pipes part time, etc.

He doesn't have immediate plans to go into making full sets as he has enough work doing chanters and practice sets.
Big Time