Other Types o' Pipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Other Types o' Pipes?

Post by Doc Jones »

Hi pipers,

The piping bug is not leaving me alone. I've tried lying down, putting my head between my knees, counting to ten....nothing seems to be working.

I'm quite drawn to the uillean pipes and hope someday to feel comfortable spelling it if not playing them.

However, I've, of late, heard of some other types of pipes. I'm guessing there are numerous variations on this theme (the presumptive theme being that some poor fellow just couldn't figure out where to breathe when playing his flute or whistle and invented himself an instrument he could play without turning blue). Anyway, I digress....

My question is what type of pipes might suit me best. These are my criteria:

1. Loud enough to be heard in the family band but quiet enough that my wife will let me play with the family band.

2. Smallishly portable

3. Able to play two octaves.

4. Either bellows-driven or mouth-driven makes no difference.

5. Having a warm, flutey, smooth tone. Nothing nasal, harsh or oboe-esque. :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry that one was just a joke...couldn't resist. Although, come to think of it, mellower would go over better with the Mrs.

Any links for more info would also be appreciated.

Thanks much,

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

your only options on 2 octaves are UPs and northumbrian smallpipes. the nsps are smaller and quieter which seems to meet another of your criteria.
all other types which are common (highland, 3/4 highland, scottish smallpipes, border pipes, etc) play only 1 octave plus 2-3 notes. the ssp is quiet, small, affordable. and while it does not do 2 octaves, it plays an extensive repetoire.

meir
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pipes

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Doc Jones

Piperdoc left out the Pastoral pipes.

For NSPs have a look here
http://www.pipersgathering.org/Northumb ... lpipes.htm

For Pastoral Pipes see here.
http://www.bagpipeworld.co.uk/British%2 ... storal.htm

Though from the requirements you specify, the likely best solution is a practice set of UPs, probably a narrow bore D.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I would suggest C uilleanns.

All the pipers I have ever known eventually want flat sets and C is fairly"social".
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Standard sets of NSP will come with their own tuning issues - standard tuning being somewhere between F and F#. One would probably want to investigate Northumbrian smallpipes pitched in concert G or D unless the family band is willing and able to re-tune.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

if you go the direction of up, this forum will help you. if you decide on any other type, i would caution you not to buy until you have gotten extensive information. with nsp, there are countless details that are important, and they are very expensive so a mistake is hard to undo. especially if you are prodded into overpayment. i would also caution you about nsps is that to the best of my knowledge, it is less practical to start with something basic, and add on. meaning:
with up, you can get a very fine chanter, a uillean bellows and a bag, and learn to be a good chanter player. then if you like your chanter, you can add on drones and later regs. if you want a whole new set, you can sell what you have as a practice set. there is usually a market for those.
with nsp, you can get a very simple set. but if you want more complexity (extra drones, switches on drones, a different pitched chanter or more key buttons) you will usually be looking at a new set.
with scottish smallpipes, which i would not discount, the main decision is what pitch to buy. the chanters are typically keyless. you can add on keys but then you end up with a poor cousin of nsp. so whats the point.
i also left out many other types of pipes.

meir
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Julian Goodacre makes a variety of English bagpipes that would satisfy your criteria, except for the two octave range. I play a set of his Cornish double pipes and they're a lot of fun.

http://www.goodbagpipes.co.uk/index.htm

On the subject of Northumbrian smallpipes: G sets have rather tight finger spacings, so you should definitely try before you buy. They can also be somewhat shrill. You may find a D set easier to play and more agreeable to the rest of the family band.
Cheers,
Mark

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Still, after all is said and done, I don't think you can beat a set of concert D pitch Uilleann pipes for general all-around ensemble playing.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

You know, I think a practice set of UPs is going to be best. I really appreciate the input from everyone. Terrific, well-reasoned advice. :)

I guess I'll start looking into a UP practice set. I had a conversation with Dave Daye on the phone the other night. Very nice guy and quite informative.

So what are your recommendations for something that won't bankrupt me but will be good enough to progress on for some time and/or indefinitely?

Doc

Doc's Website

BigDavy

Practice Set

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Doc

Welcome to the dark side.

The Syns are lovely by the way.

You will get the standard advice here (including read the FAQ).

1) Get to a tionol or festival where there will be pipers and try out sets by as many makers as you can to see what suits you.
2) Find a local piper, if possible to mentor / teach you.
3) If possible buy from a pipe maker near you.
4) Check here and on Pat d'Arcy's site for people upgrading and selling thier practice sets.
5) Pick the collective brains (or lack of them) of the contributors to this forum, especially when you draw up your short list of makers.

The only pipemaker that I have dealt with on your side of the pond is CJ Dixon, and he gives excellent customer service.

Enjoy your pipes.

David
Pekkos

Post by Pekkos »

A friend of mine plays a flemish pipe (same chanter as french pipes) in G made by Marc v. Daal (also makes uilleann). The flemish pipes are mouthblown and normally only has a range of one and a half octave, but my friend has an octave key which enables two octaves with most semitones available.

Anders
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Mh, my first posting here...hi folks! :)

Pekkos: I also play a flemish pipe in G/C made by M. Gäbel, but I really can't imagine that "octave key" ... could you give me a more detailed description of that?

But after all I wouldn't say that a flemish pipe is ideal for Mr.Threadstarter's purpose since those pipes are quite loud (mine is even louder ;))

Doc: maybe you should try a so-called "Musette de Cour": a french baroque bagpipe, bellows-driven, four drones in a racket (just like shuttle pipes), cylindrical bore, 12 or more keys and two (!) chanters, a open and a closed one, the open one with 8 holes (partially double-holes) and 6 keys and the closed one with 6 keys. closed fingering. both chanters together fully chromatic over 1,5 octaves minimum.

I tried one of those the other day when I visited M. Gäbel, and it's a really interesting instrument.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

So here's another uninformed question to test your collective (and seemingly endless) patience.

If I buy a set of Daye pipes (someone has offered) and like them and decide I can manage the whole UP thing and then decide I'd like to try a chanter from some other maker, is it likely to work with my Daye bag, drones and bellows?

And, as long as I'm pushing the envelope, could a Scottish small pipe chanter be fit to a UP bag and driven with the bellows or could the same Daye bag be mouth blown for SSP and bellows blown for the UP?

Doc

Doc's Website

BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Doc

WRT to using another chanter with the Daye set - yes, but you may need to modify the size of the hole in the connecting piece in the bag if it is too small / hemp the connecting pipe on the chanter if it is too small.

WRT to the smallpipe chanter - yes, all you need would be a uilleann type wind cap to fit the chanter, then plug it into your bag - ask CJ Dixon to make you one if you get a smallpipe chanter.

There is a maker in the US that already makes smallpipes with an uilleann type bag and windcap, but I cannot remember his name, perhaps one of the GHB players on the forum might know who it is.

David