How to decide whose pipes to get?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
varro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How to decide whose pipes to get?

Post by varro »

Dear all!

This is my first post to the list and I apologise in advance for posting ... perhaps not the most original of questions. Anyway, I was advised by mr Neil Mulligan to turn to this site as a bottomless spring of professional information.

I have been playing the Estonian bagpipes for ... a long time. Yet my admiration in the piping world has always belonged to the king of pipes, the Uilleanns. Over several years I have saved some money to finally get my hands on one of those magnificent instruments, to have a set of my own. Recently (for my 25th b-day), my family established a fund in order to make me finally get a set (until now I have played the low whistle always thinking of the Uilleann pipes).

I guess the trouble I am facing is not too difficult to guess. As I live in a place where there are now Uilleann pipes in the radius of no less than 1000 kilmoeters, it is extremely dfficult for me to make a decision on a particular master from whom to order the instrument.

I have tried to go through the history of this list, but the deeper I go the more confused I get. Thus, I was wondering whether you could provide me with some suggestions whose pipes I should be looking for.

What am I looking for? I know there are masters whose instruments simply cannot be acquired (Geoff Woofe, Alain Fromant) -- these are not fom mortals. Yet I would like to get a good instrument in the sense that I am not looking for something anonymus the origin of which is Pakistan or the like (having nothing against the country as such).

Based on what I have read one could not expect anything less than "very good" from Cillian O'Brien, Seth Gallagher, Michael Hubbert, Joe Kennedy, David Boisvert, Koehler & Quinn, Kevin Thompson, Andreas Rogge and Marc van Daal (and others). But how is one supposed to make a choice?

I would be looking for a practice set or a half set in the key of D (with 4 keys). If I have to wait a year, that's a problem I can handle (provided the instrument is worth the wait).

I sincerely thank you for all advice!
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

There's a Seth Gallagher 1/2 set for sale on www.uilleannobsession.com

Keep an eye on eBay and on the classified ads of www.pipers.ie
PJ
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

There's also a Hughes & McLeod 1/2 up there..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Uilleann-Pipes-by ... dZViewItem

Chanter is virtually the same as mine except for the imitation ivory I have at the bottom, and the drones I have.

D.
djm

Post by djm »

Varro, read the FAQ FAQ FAQ thread. As you have pointed out, you are far from the madding crowd. You will want a pipemaker who is easy to travel to. Might I suggest you look for someone in Holland or Germany? There are good pipmakers there. There are also, of course, good pipemakers further afield, but they would be so much harder for you to reach. Being able to actually sit with your pipemaker and discuss your needs, see what options are available, and get an idea of costs/times can make your experience much more rewarding.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
BigDavy

Uilleann Pipe Maker

Post by BigDavy »

Hi varro

The preceeding advice is good, but you say that you play the Estonian bagpipes, might it not be an idea to work with a maker of the Estonian bagpipes and get your set made locally. If it works out maybe it could be a business opportunity as well.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
ChaplainBlake
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Irish music has been a developing passion of mine. In the next few years, I hope to have all four of my kids going on whistles!

Post by ChaplainBlake »

Another name you will definitely want to consider is Martin Preshaw. On top of a world class product, he offers great advice and help.
glands

Post by glands »

Anyway, I was advised by mr Neil Mulligan to turn to this site as a bottomless spring of professional information.
Neillidh does indeed have a great sense of humor!

All kidding aside, there are plenty of folks on this site who will be very helpful. And, there are those who won't. As usual, don't believe everything you read on the internet.
uilleannfinlander

Post by uilleannfinlander »

Tere Varro,kuidas käsi gäyp?
On the other side of Finnish Gulf ,here is some pipers in Finland too..
Maybe we can help, and perhaps give u some good hints,addressess and share comments etc. about...
btw do u speak Finnish?
Cheers,
Mikko
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Hi Varro!

I know a Charles Roberts half set + one baritone regulator that is for sale here in Sweden, a ferry ride from Tallinn.

/MarcusR
Last edited by MarcusR on Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
goldy

Post by goldy »

Something to consider beyond 'who has the best reputation' is tone/volume/appearance/tuning. You need to work out what is most important to you. For example, one maker might make a really well tuned set, but it might be really difficult to reed or be really loud/too quiet for your liking. Another thing is whether you are a concert pich man or a flat pitch man (there are many that swear by one).

What I'm saying is consider everything - I bought a chanter based on reputation (justified good reputation), but my focus after good tuning, is quiet volume/tone and I have struggled to get my chanter to accept a quiet reed as I get gurgles if the reed isn't opened up. Therefore, five years later, I've ordered a different chanter from a different maker after sampling the marchandise.

Good luck.
We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all manage to live in the same box.
varro

Post by varro »

Thanks everyone! I've had some good hints, both on the open discussion forum here but also privately. It's an exellent environment that you have created here. Anyway, it seems that I will not be able to grow the needed knowledge overnight (surprise!). I'm just hoping I will be able to work my way through that problem, which, to be honest, at the moment looks insurmountable :o) Don't worry, I won't give up all that easy. But it's really a problem when you are not rich enough to be able to allow yourself an uninformed choice and correct mistakes thereafter.

Cheers,
Varro
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

Hello Varro,
even though your budget is low I would recommend you get a practice set first.
Just to get accustomed to the Uilleann pipes, I mean. from uilleann Pipeworks of Boston you get them at $650.
Not for free, I know, but uilleanns are quite different beasts from estonian pipes - both playing-wise and maintenance-wise.
I once met someone who played an estonian set with a chanter reed made from a youghurt cup....or similar, anyway ;-)

I am a beginner myself, and found after trying out a half-set this summer that starting out with just the chanter might be a good idea...

BTW, estonian pipes are in C, if I recall correctly? Which perhaps makes that a common key for a lot of music and other musicians from your vicinity?
Hence, the key could be an important consideration to make.

Cheers,
Eivind
Leech

Post by Leech »

I was thinking about getting a CJ Dixon half set because I have heard his chanters play fairly easily and sweetly. I have heard some sound clips to back this up as well. Any thoughts?
-E-