The Boys & Girl from County Clare

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Richard Katz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Boys & Girl from County Clare

Post by Richard Katz »

I just saw a film called The Boys & Girl from County Clare starring Colm Meaney, Bernard Hill, and (YES) Andrea Corr! (2003) Andrea is a fiddle player in the film (but she never moves her fingers - curious that!). No, she doesn't even sing in the film.
The reason I mention this film is that there is hilarious scene when the uilleann piper in the Ceili band pops his bellows valve out and hits a young lad in the head.
Just thought I'd mention it. The film has a lot of great session scenes with some good music. Takes place during an All Ireland Competition.
Can be rented at Hollywood Video.
Cheers! Richard
buzzer

film

Post by buzzer »

Just to let you know that the musicians who worked on the film were treated appallingly by the makers of said film may i recommend downloading it from the internet?
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

quite a who's-who, too: Paddy and Kevin Glackin, Paul McGrattan, Harry Bradley, Padraic MacMathuna on pipes, Kieran Hanrahan etc etc. Though you don't see them at all at all. There are some pretty funny in-jokes, such as the piper never being ready to play in the band because he's fiddling with his reeds. Bernard Hill's accent keeps changing. Andrea Corr is quite luminous here and there.
Kilkee

Post by Kilkee »

Cost $18 at amazon.com
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Nick Adams, the writer of the film is a piper, whistler and maker of pipes.

The musicians were happy enough with the film to play at the informal premiere in Glor in Ennis a couple of weeks ago.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: film

Post by PJ »

buzzer wrote:Just to let you know that the musicians who worked on the film were treated appallingly by the makers of said film
:o

In what way?
PJ
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Again, if you're going to criticize something you may want to post concrete facts, cite examples or provide the names of people who actually suffered under this film for people to contact. Random, unsubstantiated comments only serve to make you look unreliable as a source.
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I can speak on behalf of myself, i went for an audition and they would not pay musicians union rates also some of the musicians who were in it did not receive what they were promised, I started this to make people aware of what they are entitled to in such situations, Nick Adams may have been the writer but have you ever considered that the film company in charge of the production may not have been particularly fair.I do not mention names as it really is peoples own choice not mine as to whether or not they want to comment. As for the musicians that were happy to play, they did the music-they were not in the film, the music was added later, for the record i'm sure your friend Nick is decent and honourable.
le meas,Cormac.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Did the film get released in the UK/Ireland?
Haven't seen it advertised anywhere

B
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I rented it from Blockbuster. Kind of a Ho-Hummer, but the music was nice, and lots of it. Andrea Corr dresses up in her birthday suit for a jump in the water. The scenery was pleasant.
Baglady

Post by Baglady »

Did you watch the movie? It was the Hippie Chick Badron Player that took the dip. Andrea Corr had her Mother and Aunt, whom she stayed with, watching over her.

It is a movie about relationship more than about the music. It is a good microscope on how relationships and the music affect each other.

I watched it at a file festival and the audience reaction was nearly as entertaining as the movie. You could see who were musicians by the stuff they reacted to.
Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Why are there still no photographs on this thread? :D
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
djm

Post by djm »

Randy ...er ....Roger wrote:Why are there still no photographs on this thread?
Go fish! :D

http://www.impawards.com/2005/boys_from ... clare.html
http://www.thecorrswebsite.com/

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

djm - I suspected you were a Corrs fan :lol:
PJ
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Saw this myself over the weekend. Apart from Andrea's unbelievable lack of dexterity on the fiddle (which was incredibly distracting and stupid) I thought her wardrobe was also very modern for a movie that was supposed to be set in the 60's.... and not a beehive or DA in sight!

Still, I enjoyed it.

Tsk tsk,

Patrick.