favorite Uilleann pipe 'C' chanters

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
upiper71

favorite Uilleann pipe 'C' chanters

Post by upiper71 »

I'd like to hear everyone's comments about C chanters and their experience with them. Either having owned one or borrowed one..

Let me know what you think.... :)
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Ah C sets are things of beauty! David P's Froment set was humming away this past weekend, and sounded great - with the exception of a few of the normal reed issues when travelling from low to higher altitudes. We've also got a member of our group out here who plays a Gallagher 3/4 set in C. Great sounding stick, and one that I find particularly easy to play.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Brian Lee wrote:Ah C sets are things of beauty! David P's Froment set was humming away this past weekend, and sounded great - with the exception of a few of the normal reed issues when travelling from low to higher altitudes. We've also got a member of our group out here who plays a Gallagher 3/4 set in C. Great sounding stick, and one that I find particularly easy to play.
David was very kind to allow me to play his Fromment C set at the GNIPC Tionol last month, and to date, it is my favorite to listen to live and in person... but this set is not for the weak of arm, it takes a bit 'ooomph' to keep her going. Deadly drones and regs on her!!! :)
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

I have a Koehler/Quinn C chanter that is absolutely phenomenal, I've played Dr. Lewis Blevin's beehive K/Q C chanter and it is pretty much identical to mine in sound and response.
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

That must be the 'famed' Beehive set I've heard about during his lecture at CLW '05 that we we're shown pic's of..?

Do you have pictures of this C set?

upiper71
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

The 'Beehive set' belongs to Dr. Lewis Blevins (glands)... I am sure that if you ask him nicely he post a photo of it. I had a chance to listen to it at the piper's gather in Atlanta in May, humdity notwithstanding, it was a lovely chanter in tone and appearance. :thumbsup:
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

How 'bout it Dr.Lewis are ya out there? If so, could you kindly post a pic of the famed 'Beehive set' please...pretty...please..
Hip O'Potamus

Post by Hip O'Potamus »

Pics of the beehive are found at http://www.uilleannobsession.com/extras_k&q.html
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

Great pics Thanks again.!! :)
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

All of the above mentioned makers are one's I would not mind having sets made by and make incredible C sticks. I was lucky enough to be able to play a Wooff C chanter a little while ago and, WOW!! Great responsiveness, superb tone, and a minimal pressure requirement. Now if only I can come up with 100 grand to bribe Geoff to make me a set.
vanfleet
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

C chanter

Post by vanfleet »

As posted in an earlier thread, I just got hold of a Tim Britton C chanter, and I'm very happy with it; surprisingly mellow tone, but just as responsive as his D chanters. I can do anything I want with this stick, all my favorite ornamentation, tight playing, or open off the knee.
See previous thread, others had also commented favorably.
Still trying to get a decent recording to post.
JVF
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Hip O'Potamus wrote:Pics of the beehive are found at http://www.uilleannobsession.com/extras_k&q.html

I see....it's a K&Q 'Beehive' set that Glands owns, but not 'The' 18th Century (?) Beehive of Kenna. And all this time I'd thought he'd managed to score the real thing. -Sorry David, I'm not suggesting your production isn't 'real', I mean the 'real' Kenna set.

Cheers,

DG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Sup ya'll...

I meant to update that information ages ago. I was corrected in a previous topic by Peter Laban that: "The chanter is (Kenna) but the rest isn't, Mark Walstrom thinks (and I would agree) it's Ryan. The mounts were not original though,it seems they were put on later."

I've now updated my site to avoid further confusion.

Whey Hey... it's Friday!

Patrick.
anima

Post by anima »

Iv'e got a Kirk Lynch C chanter thatI like alot.

Jeff
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

I have a C chanter made by Ian MacKenzie which is a Coyne copy. It is a beautiful chanter although I may be tempted to put it up for sale for no other reason that I don't play it nearly enough and it should deserve a better home. This isn't an add because I'm not decided yet. I know I'll kick myself if I did sell it because I know I'd miss it but still I hardly get a chance to play it.
Too many gigs that involve the D set....
Hmmm.

Tommy