On eBAY: Full set of pipes by Hubert Kwisthout, 1988

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
IRTradRU?
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by IRTradRU? »

No reserve?!?

:o

Currently at 245 quid, though the auction still has 9 days to go...
IRTradRU?
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

This might be more related to the " What's your favorite wood for Pipes?" thread.

The Emergence of Non-State Market-Driven Authority
It seems like Hubert Kwisthout environmental concerns about pipe making and exotic woods became one of foundations of modern environmental governance and forest certification.

Thats cool!

He seem to be a multi-faceted man with many bright ideas.
Anyone know what he is up to now?

/MarcusR
uilleannfinlander

Post by uilleannfinlander »

If pipes are not been played for ten years, what will be the condition of woodparts, leather
Can anybody say how much it will cost when get above Kvisthout set in properly playing condition by some pipemaker?
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

If stored properly, everything (bag, bellows, and pipes) should be OK. If you were to pursue the set, you might request an examination period. You might agree to pay for shipping one way or both ways if you return it. Bring it to your favorite maker or someone knowledgeable. And, important, send a pic to the list so everyone can comment!
Chris Bayley
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Chris Bayley »

There are 7 days left so anyone contemplating bidding for the set could ask for it to to be taken to the London Pipers Club (they meet Thursday nights at the Irish Centre, Hammersmith, West London) - Pat Stones is usually there and should be able to offer an appraisal/estimate
uilleannfinlander

Post by uilleannfinlander »

I asked comments of this item from one pipemaker, he said he wouldn't take it if even get it free.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

uilleannfinlander wrote:I asked comments of this item from one pipemaker, he said he wouldn't take it if even get it free.
Just curious but has the pipemaker you refer to seen the set or is he basing his opinion on the information contained on eBay?
PJ
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I'm afraid I have never heard anything good said about HK's pipes. In the early 1980's one of the best uilleann pipemakers told me he was not impressed by HK's instruments. Mind you I haven't played a HK set or chanter myself, so it's just possible that this set could well be a decent instrument. However if the chanter and regs are not reeded then it will be difficult to check if it's in tune with itself. Probably not an instrument for an inexperienced newbie
carel

Post by carel »

In the question and answers part of ebay it says

There are no cracks - the whipping/ bindings need attention - they leak air all over the place. The bellows and the bag are both good and airtight. All the reeds are there - they just need adjusting.We are in central London = approx weight 10 kgs
Rick

Post by Rick »

uilleannfinlander wrote:I asked comments of this item from one pipemaker, he said he wouldn't take it if even get it free.
I heard the same thing when i brought up this set was for sale on ebay.
Steampacket wrote:I'm afraid I have never heard anything good said about HK's pipes. In the early 1980's one of the best uilleann pipemakers told me he was not impressed by HK's instruments. Mind you I haven't played a HK set or chanter myself, so it's just possible that this set could well be a decent instrument. However if the chanter and regs are not reeded then it will be difficult to check if it's in tune with itself. Probably not an instrument for an inexperienced newbie
See above, he did play some or at least one of his instruments..
Not impressed to say the least.

On my part this is all stuff i heard from others, i have never even seen a H.K. set i think..
macfion

hmmmmm

Post by macfion »

Hmmm well I have seen and attempted to play Kwistouts pipes, and well, the term " a bear farting in the wind" comes to mind.
I wouldn't touch them with someone elses barge pole!
ausdag

Re: hmmmmm

Post by ausdag »

macfion wrote:Hmmm well I have seen and attempted to play Kwistouts pipes, and well, the term " a bear farting in the wind" comes to mind.
I wouldn't touch them with someone elses barge pole!
Weell....someone just paid 2 and a half grand for them.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/