On eBAY: Bruce Childress Full B set AFB,nickel silver keys

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
IRTradRU?
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by IRTradRU? »

Hmmm...

Starting bid at $5,650, with a 'Buy it Now' price of $6,000.... less $150 if paying with money order or check.... that brings the 'Buy it now' price to $5,850, which leaves a very tight range of just $200 on the auction (from the potential buy it now price).

Nice looking set of pipes. I've always wanted to have a set in B... but I've got cobwebs in my wallet these days.
Darn.
IRTradRU?
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Looks like the same set on uilleannobsession.

"have endured very well through the Maine winters" - I hope this doesn't mean they were left outside. :P
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

PJ wrote:Looks like the same set on uilleannobsession.

"have endured very well through the Maine winters" - I hope this doesn't mean they were left outside. :P
... what elese could it mean? :D
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

Back up for Round 2. Reduced to $5,450.00 with the buy it now feature!
Bidding starts at $5,150.00

Would be nice to have the extra cash for a flat set! Anybody want to be a patron of the arts???
beckitybek

Post by beckitybek »

If bidding starts at $5,150.00 and the buy it now is $5,450.00 then thats not much of an auction is it?
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I'd just like to remind you all that it was my birthday a few months back and you all forgot to buy me present. You could redeem yourselves and chip in to buy me something from my wish list:

1. Childress Flat Set in B (full set) in Chrome and ABW
PJ
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

If a Bidder bids the lowest amount, that person has effectively created an auction as the Buy-It-Now feature would be removed. The only exception would be if the lowest bid amount was below the auction's Reserve.
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

Jim McGuire wrote:If a Bidder bids the lowest amount, that person has effectively created an auction as the Buy-It-Now feature would be removed. The only exception would be if the lowest bid amount was below the auction's Reserve.
I didn't think that was the case until the bid price went above the 'Buy it Now' price...?

Anyway, the reserve seems to be set at the minimum bid price - I think if you were to bid an even $5,000 it wouldn't even register, would it?

Still the point about it being "not much of an auction" is a fair one , IMO, as it leaves only $300 between a minimum bid and 'Buy it Now'. I suspect it's been relisted for this very reason, but who knows?
IRTradRU?
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

The buy-it-now option is removed when the lowest, legitimate bid occurs as long as it is above the reserve (if there is one). So, while the seller might be satisfied to close the auction with the buy-it-now price, a speculator might bid the lowest legitimate amount and still try to win the auction banking on the auction not exceeding the disappeared buy-it-now dollar amount. In this auction, that would be several hundred dollars.

A bid of $5150 would remove the $5450 buy-it-now option from the auction. The auction then could conceivable finish at any dollar amount above $5150 and even over-perform by going above $5450.

All auction systems have rules; while these things seem arbitrary, that's the way eBAY operates its auctions with some 25 million items listed at any given time.
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

Jim McGuire wrote:A bid of $5150 would remove the $5450 buy-it-now option from the auction. The auction then could conceivable finish at any dollar amount above $5150 and even over-perform by going above $5450.
Thus the comment, "not much of an auction" - with which I agree. There's only a $300 window there.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks for clarifying on the Ebay rules, I wasn't aware the 'buy it now' went away.
IRTradRU?
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

I don't know why the 'not much' comment comes into play. Someone can buy the item or turn it into an auction.

Auctions in my neighborhood start at the highest price, then go down until it hits a bid, and then marches back up as other bidders join the fray.

This auction started at its almost final selling price but could still go up from there. Due to the prices, bargain hunters might be forced to look elsewhere.

This auction could start at $1 but have a reserve price of $5150. Those auctions generate a lot of interest ('hey, it's only at $265') but don't always generate enough for the seller. But, then again, you never know on eBAY.
PJ

Post by PJ »

The seller also sold some Childress drones recently:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7322035235

Those drones had previously been listed but didn't sell during the first listing, just like the flat set. When the drones sold, they went for the Starting-Bid price which was also the Buy-It-Now price.
PJ
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I want it...