Stolen Instruments: How to Possibly Prevent It

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Stolen Instruments: How to Possibly Prevent It

Post by Brazenkane »

I'm a professional musician w/ thousands of dollars worth of gear. NO! I'm not going to tell you where I live :-) Then I'd have to kill ye!

I have always been one to go to great lengths to keep my instruments mine. I never EVER leave my instruments in my vehicle (read that one again). Where I live, the law allows my rear, and side rear windows to be tinted xtra dark. So, if I do leave speakers in there, which are replaceable..most likely one couldn't even look in and see what they were.

Once in a hotel, I was worried about my concertina. I had no idea where to hide it, until I opened the closet and saw a wee safe. I took the tina of it's box and in the safe it went...barely. Be creative!

We keep our storm doors closed on the outside sliding glass doors when we leave to insure no one comes in. Sliding glass doors btw, are very easy to defeat. Look into making them and outher sliding windows more secure. In addition, You can purchase musician's insurance (1800-VIVALDI).

I have read so many sad internet watch ads about stolen instruments. I'm wondering if some of this is careless, forgetfulness, or just plain sh*t luck? Obviously, there's no way around the latter of the 3.

Most makers I've dealt w/, having known there was a theft, bring the victim to the top of their list so they can get an instrument ASAP. I think this is the righteous and kind thing to do. You should have insurance to cover the expense as well.

When traveling in airports, my soft case, which holds pipes, tina, and flute, NEVER leaves my side. When I put it down, there is a shoulder strap that I clip to my belt (from the gig bag itself). If someone is going to run with it, they're in for some added weight (and a choke-hold).

If I'm at a sessiun, the instruments, ALL OF EM stay at my feet. If I get a drink I get SOMEONE I KNOW to watch 'em, or I ask for someone to get me a drink and I offer to watch their stuff.

I think we all need to be more aware. Talking about it keeps the awareness up. I'm very careful about my surroundings. This is an effort that requires practice, not just lipservice. I make mental notes of who's playing what. If I see anyone pick up a case that I have not recognized earlier, I always make it a point to stop them and make small talk like, "hey YOU"RE A FLUTER TOO? cool...whatcha got in there?" Or, I'm new here what's your name? At a tionol, or summer school...never leave your stuff unattended.....ever. So what if you have to carry your stuff around?! You get excersise, and your stuff stays your stuff smile

AT very least, lets try and minimize theft and keep our beloved hard-sought-out, long-waited-for-instruments OURS. At very best, perhaps we might get some instruments returned, and bring some of those A-holes to justice. It may sound fantastic, but that very thng happened just a few months ago to Fermanagh (now living in Cali.) uilleann piper Gabriel McKeagney. Check out the "Piper's Review" for that incredible story.

Adh Mór,

k.paddy.o

PS this announcement was not subsidised by 1800-Vivaldi, nor the Piper's Review
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

You could put some kind of GPS gizmo in the mainstock, or bellows. Good use for technology, that. Or a Viper unit: "THIS UUULEE-IN PIPE IS PROTECTED BY VIPER! STAND BACK!"
I've been meaning for some time to take lots of photos, identifying marks and description, etc. Put the descriptive and reward info in both the case and underneath the mainstock ferrule, perhaps. Likewise with me at the session I don't let the pipes out of sight.
Sean Folsom, the King of the Bagpipes, had his big Taylor? set ripped off twice, luckily he had the reward and return info in there and got them back safe and sound, out about $500 I think but hey.
L42B

Post by L42B »

Welcome Brazenkaine, the more professional musicians we have around this forum the better. Feel free to post some technical informations [on the pipes] or general information about music that will greatly enhanse this community.

I've had no problems (so fare) with security of my pipes. Mainly because I live in a small town and many people know that I play them. Otherwise there useless to anyone else who doesn't know how to play the Uilleann Pipes. But still as you said. When in sessions I always make sure that the pipes are in my site (either that or get a good friend to look after them). Still my pipes are under the family house and contents insurance. I'm also considering getting travelling insurance as well. That way I'm fully covered.

Cheers L42B :)
No E

Post by No E »

Hey Kynch,

Great advice. Some people are so careless--at 2001 SF Tionól, I found a wooden flute just rolling around the floor. I did manage to get it back to its owner, who shall remain nameless :D

-Larry
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

How about putting one of those bumper stickers on the case "Yes, these are genuine Pakistani pipes inside!".
magroibin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by magroibin »

Jim McGuire wrote:How about putting one of those bumper stickers on the case "Yes, these are genuine Pakistani pipes inside!".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Or even worse: Genuine "Earschplittinloudenboomerpipes" inside!

Actually, at a gig a couple of years back I was stunned to see how fast one fellow went for a guitar pedal that was left on the table while we were loading the van. Sneaky bugger...but he stopped as soon as he spotted me and was out the door empty handed, equally as fast.

Paul
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

How about a sticker, located right near the handle on the case:

"These pipes protected by my 2 best friends: Smith & Wesson.
(and I don't call Emergency Services)"
IRTradRU?
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

I have written on my tina case

"Beware of Owner"
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

No E wrote:Hey Kynch,

Great advice. Some people are so careless--at 2001 SF Tionól, I found a wooden flute just rolling around the floor. I did manage to get it back to its owner, who shall remain nameless :D

-Larry
L,

you missed your chance to invent the low-impact-not-getting-wet version there of....running on logs in the water (whatever the heck that sport is called)
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

oh ya..how about this...before I was to go out to play witht he cheiftains I wanted to see the cape breton dancers. the manager told me to leave my stuff on this random folding table backstage....and that it'd be safe while I was in the audience. FAMOUS LAST WORDS "YA IT'LL BE SAFE HERE! th stage hands'll watch out for it!'

YA RIGHT!
myrddinemrys
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Yeah, if someone suspicious asks what you have in your case, say it's a dudelsack.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.