Pre-beginner questions

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Nu2daCn

Pre-beginner questions

Post by Nu2daCn »

How does a rank beginner choose a practice set? I don't think I want a previously owned set, as I'd like to form a relationship with the builder in case I want to go on to a half set. I'm comfortable on a whistle, not very good on the flute, have coaxed a tune out of highland pipe practice chanter, and I'm willing to put in time to learn a new instrument.

Sorry to have missed the furor of earlier, but I'm glad that this board has reopened just as I've developed a real interest in pursuing uileann pipes.

Thanks,
Nu2
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Have you reviewed the FAQ FAQ FAQ thread? Some of your questions are answered there.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

having just met several other pipers at the same time for the first time and tried out some of their sets, I recommend finding other pipers and "test driving" their sets.

I took a shine to a maker I was unfamiliar with, and decided I didn't really care for the sound of another maker I thought I'd like.

"Test driving" will allow you to establish your own preferences in volume, tone, airflow etc. You will need to know that stuff in order to choose a maker whose product you will be pleased with.
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
Jay-eye
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jay-eye »

Antaine wrote: I recommend finding other pipers and "test driving" their sets.
I reckon there's wisdom in that.

I guess for a used practice set I paid about half what I would have paid for an equivalent new set. I like it a lot, but I'm not sure it's from the maker I want my half or full set to be from. I've still got a deal of 'test driving' to do myself.

So I think I'm saying that 'used' could save you money, while you're learning, if you don't get the right maker first time around. Having said that, these sets are very saleable it seems, so a 'mistake' for you could be very desirable for someone else.

So what am I saying? Help me somebody! Is that what moderators are for? What am I on about, Joseph???? :boggle:
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Pre-beginner questions

Post by PJ »

Nu2daCn wrote:I don't think I want a previously owned set
Don't blame you. You don't want to catch one of these unspeakable piper diseases that are going around and end up playing Northumbrian small pipes (shudder).

First things last. Where do you live? If you want to have a relationship with the pipe maker ( :P ) then I suggest that you cut down on your travel time. www.pipers.ie has a page with pipemakers listed, as does www.uilleannobsession.com

Once you have located the pipe makers within a reasonable distance of where you live, come back here and start a post asking for references.
PJ
Nu2daCn

Post by Nu2daCn »

djm wrote:Have you reviewed the FAQ FAQ FAQ thread? Some of your questions are answered there.

djm
Ooops. My bad. . .good info there.

Thanks for the input all!

Nu2
Eivind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Eivind »

If you wanna get one of the polymer sets from Patrick Murray,
I suggest you get their waitlist as soon as you can.

They will go for USD650,- complete practice set.

Watch this site.
http://www.uilleannpipeworks.com/

Good luck,
Eivind :)