Highland Pipers?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Paddy Finn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Highland Pipers?

Post by Paddy Finn »

I'm guessing this is a Irish type forum. but we need a GHB section. for starters......

any m8 out there play?
....oh mother dear, i'm over here. And I never will come back, for what keeps me here's the reek o' beer, the ladies and the craic.
No E

Re: Highland Pipers?

Post by No E »

Paddy Finn wrote:I'm guessing this is a Irish type forum. but we need a GHB section. for starters......

any m8 out there play?
Lot's of GHBers on this forum, most of whom are nice enough to keep quiet about it :lol:

You're more than welcome to join in the fun, but we need a GHB section like a fish needs a bicycle.

No E.
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Paddy Finn

Post by Paddy Finn »

come on m8, we do compitions and all the uilleanns players do is play on sound tracks and get paid thouhsands of dollars and stuff......

Ok to be honist. i like the uilleann as a lesire instrument but they cost to much, beside, i've been after a set of vintage pipes, or some taylor uilleanns, but how can we say $10,000 and up?
....oh mother dear, i'm over here. And I never will come back, for what keeps me here's the reek o' beer, the ladies and the craic.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Paddy Finn wrote:come on m8, we do compitions and all the uilleanns players do is play on sound tracks and get paid thousands of dollars and stuff......

Ok to be honist. i like the uilleann as a lesire instrument but they cost to much, beside, i've been after a set of vintage pipes, or some taylor uilleanns, but how can we say $10,000 and up?

If all we do is play on soundtracks and get paid thousands of dollars for it, maybe you should get a loan and buy a vintage set, so you can play on soundtracks and get paid lots of money too, and then you can pay back the loan, sell the vintage pipes for 100% profit and buy five brand new sets of highland pipes and some Tullamore Dew to boot :)

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
L42B

Post by L42B »

My pipe majors got some very old highland pipes exsisting from the English-Afrikaans war write through to the present day. Some of his sets including the one I have on loan is at least 60+ years old. Wonderfull tone and in great condition. Some are quiet valuable.

Paddy there are some pritty valuable GHB's around the place. The older they get the more expensive they become (if in good condition). You can get a fully mounted Henderson [new] set for AU $10, 000+.

Cheers L42B :)
John Dally

Post by John Dally »

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it's a myth that the old pipes are better than the new GHB.
:roll:
Also, let's not get in a pissing match about GHB and UP. If you can't get enough GHB ya-ya go to Bob Dunsire's forum. If you must talk about GHB then talk about them in the context of Irish music and leave competitions to the sports.
8)
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

I don't know about Paddy, but I do make thousands a year with highland pipes. Not many thousands, but a few at least. It keeps me in beer, tools and ciggies. :P God how I dread this Thursday, though.
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
rebelpiper

Post by rebelpiper »

marcpipes wrote:but I do make thousands a year with highland pipes. .
yes, im with you on that. i play many gigs with the band im in and solo gigs on both sets of pipes. its amazing how many people in bama get into the pipes and how much money they will pay :D

i enjoy playing both. there are many irish tunes that will fit on the GHB pipes. i never played in a pipe band or had lessons from a pipe band. i was lucky and discoverd cape breton music, barry shears, rory campbell (old blind dogs) and hamish moore when i was starting on the pipes. if you forget about the pipe band way of playing the GHB can be as fun to play as UP. ( pipe band tunes can be fun to play also)

some of my pipe band friends give me hell for playing rolls and crans on the GHB but it can be done :)
irishpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

First of all..they are not called The Great Highland Bagpipes..they are called Warpipes!! The Irish Figured it out a long time ago that they are not a real musical instrument so they gave it to the Scots..who haven't figured it out yet..... :lol:..no offense..I play the agony bags too!!
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Paddy ....Piss Off
Slán Agat
Uilliam

PS..TROLL
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Uilliam wrote:Paddy ....Piss Off
Slán Agat
Uilliam

PS..TROLL
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Paddy Finn

Post by Paddy Finn »

liam, grow up m8. dont make me blow your pipes....

yea you can make some money off of piping, but most of the time its weddings and funerals, but its alll the same. there arnt reeeally an over whelming amount of jobs for uilleann pipes either. but its not like i'm trying to make a living off of it[/i]
chanterdan

my thoughts on this topic

Post by chanterdan »

i own a set of 1870s hendersons,i paid 7000 us,and yes they the tone is better than anything you buy new,i also play,and own 3/4 set of uilleanns.this forum is for uilleann piping info.with only 2 pipe bands in the us thats worth listening too,and only a hand full of solo pipers,that are any good.their are lots of web sites for ghp.i would lose the hendersons in a ny min, for a set of andreas rogge or koeher and quinn .
Last edited by chanterdan on Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beauford T Rosemondt III

Post by Beauford T Rosemondt III »

Uilliam wrote:Paddy ....Piss Off
Slán Agat
Uilliam

PS..TROLL
I thought no personal attacks were allowed on this forum.

Anyway, I look forward to the day where anyone with a set of 100 buck Pakistani uilleann pipes off Ebay can make thousands of dollars a year playing weddings and concerts and making GHB players happy with no lessons or talent, playing every hackneyed ethnic-camp tune you could name. Then our little community can be just like the GHB community. That's why I think these fine folks should be encouraged and treated with respect.

Some day, the world may wince at the mention of "uilleann pipes" the same way it does "bagpipes."
BTRIII
Paddy Finn

Post by Paddy Finn »

ah, i've met many-a-person who've bought Pakistani pipes, and have tryed to teach them selfs. only recently i've met one that is presistant that Pakistani pipes are a good deal :boggle: , and well the person never had a lesson and i dear say these are the types of people that bring the bad name upon the GHB. the instrument makes playing a sport, and most pipers scough at the people who just pick it up one day and try to play. the insrument is never to become like the guitar when everyone can 'play' it but very few can play it. and if the community would look past the daemonistic songs like Amazing Grace, and Scotland the Brave. and into the sport of the GHB they might just might gaint a appresiation for it.