Davey Stevenson???

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Davey Stevenson???

Post by PJ »

I spotted Davey Stevenson's name on another post (which shows a massive G chanter he made). I've not heard of him before. Who is he and what are his pipes like? If making a G chanter is typical of his work, I'd love to see more of it.
brianc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brianc »

It might be wise to use the Search function on his name in this forum... there's been no shortage of discussion.

Here's one of them:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... stephenson
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I see .... Usually when I hear "health problems" it means (1) the big C, or (2) the old cocktail of alcoholism & depression.

Does anyone have any news about him? His pipes seem to push the limits. It would be a pity if someone with imagination and skill were to drop off the radar entirely.
anima

Post by anima »

Ummm it was more like diabetes I think.

Jeff
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Unless I'm mistaken, that G chanter wasn't made by Davy.
Davey

Davy

Post by Davey »

It wasn't alcoholism, or diabetes or any such. As best as I can recall, he was suffering from chronic fatique syndrome. There were some other complications and issues surrounding his family that required his full attention. I spoke with Davy a few weeks back, and he is working full time in his shop to get caught up on all old orders. I don't believe he is planning on taking orders again, but will continue to make pipes.

That G chanter was made by Peter Hunter for Ronan Browne. Peter has shared the details for this chanter with me. I've made a few prototypes and they are definately different, cool, but different!
Joseph E. Smith

Re: Davy

Davey wrote:That G chanter was made by Peter Hunter for Ronan Browne. Peter has shared the details for this chanter with me. I've made a few prototypes and they are definately different, cool, but different!
Got any photos of your prototype you would be willing to share with us David? :)
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Bagpipeworks pictures are still on the archive machine... amazing!
Here's the G chanter that Peter Hunter made:
From this website:
http://web.archive.org/web/200306190901 ... works.com/
Joseph E. Smith

That's no chanter, that's a tree!
mukade

Post by mukade »

Whoops, I didn't read the description on the site. I thought it was Davey's own creation.

Here is his description:
www.bagpipeworks.com(Defunct) via web.archive.org wrote: "The chanter pictured above belongs to Uilleann piper Mr Ronan Browne, who has kindly loaned me the instrument to take detailed measurements for my own archives.

The original drawings of this instrument were given to me by my trainer and Uilleann pipe maker Mr Peter Hunter.

The chanter comes in two half's and joins between the G & A notes, with a flat sliding joint like that found today on any modern Clarinet or Oboe.

The overall length is 27 inches including the cap, the tone holes have a slightly wider span than my Bb chanters and are reachable by all but the smallest sets of hands.

The sound of the instrument is what I would call Sax like off the knee and wonderfully mellow on, I will be posting a file of the beast to my site in the near future."
Mukade
PJ

Post by PJ »

Seeing the join between the A and G makes me wounder whether this type of chanter would suffer the same fate as many flutes - cracking along the tuning slide.
Davey

cracks

Post by Davey »

PJ,

Generally those are stress cracks that occur from the differential in expansion between the metal and the wood. In other words, the brass on the INSIDE of a joint causes the crack when the wood tries to compress around the unforgiving brass. The rings on the outside of the instrument, or ferrules, strengthen the joint and aid in preventing the cracks. As this joint is wood on wood, the possibility of cracking is greatly diminished, especially with the ferrules for added strength.

Davey B
PJ

Re: cracks

Post by PJ »

Davey wrote:As this joint is wood on wood, the possibility of cracking is greatly diminished, especially with the ferrules for added strength.
So why doesn't someone adapt this design to wooden flutes - I don't think I've seen a single wooden flute in North America that didn't have some signs of cracking on the tuning slide.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

You answered your own question:

Tuning slides are metal on the inside of the wood. Flutes not having the metal on the inside, don't have tuning slides. Instead they simply have tenons and socket. (See Casey Burns Folk Flute)
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Check out Terry McGee's work, he has a neat solution for the tuning slide.