Ginsberg full set on ebay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Ginsberg full set on ebay

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by elbogo »

Sure is a good looking set! I just recently heard a used Ginsberg C set, chanter, bought on ebay several months ago, and it had a very nice, sweet tone to it. Meaning, I heard just the chanter played.
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

A sound clip would have been nice.
reedman

Post by reedman »

Can not understand why his pipes do not seem to sell that well? :-? they sure look the part, :o as does most of his stuff, anyone got or play a set by Mr Ginsberg, comments most welcome.
There's those who know,
and there's those who think they know,
and there's those who just have'nt got a fecking Clue.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

reedman wrote:Can not understand why his pipes do not seem to sell that well? :-? they sure look the part, :o as does most of his stuff, anyone got or play a set by Mr Ginsberg, comments most welcome.
Some of the folks here may recall that I've got a full flat set by Ginsberg, pitched in C, about 30 years old. Partly functional, ivory decrepit, and leaky as a sieve, it's undergoing a much-needed rehabbing by our own Dave Boisvert (username=Davey), the mastermind behind Greenwood Pipes. I very much love that set, and the chanter is well characterised as "sweet". The only beef I have is that there are 3 notes out of tune, and had to play it with tape all over the thing. Ginsberg may have improved his chanter intonation with time and experience, which is why I thought that a sound clip would be a good thing, as well as to hear whether a concert set of his would also have that sweet quality.

I may end up replacing the chanter with one of Davey's, and I trust he can replicate much the same tone as the original, minus the intonation issues, which have proved to be beyond reed influences alone.

Ginsberg isn't discussed much, it seems. Don't know why. All in all, I'd still play mine all taped up if it came to that, 'cause I love its tone so much.
Davey

Ginsberg

Post by Davey »

Yep, the rehab is nearly complete. It is really tough what happened to this poor set. Nano did exactly what everyone had always told him should be done with the pipes..humidify them well! The poor things were humidified so well they mildewed, warped and the ivory bits BURST right off the set. I felt horrified on his behalf when he brought them to me.

I'll try and post some before and after pics...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Re: Ginsberg

Post by Nanohedron »

Davey wrote:Yep, the rehab is nearly complete. It is really tough what happened to this poor set. Nano did exactly what everyone had always told him should be done with the pipes..humidify them well! The poor things were humidified so well they mildewed, warped and the ivory bits BURST right off the set. I felt horrified on his behalf when he brought them to me.

I'll try and post some before and after pics...
Jeez, Davey, do ya just have to tell the whole freaking world what scutterin' eejit I am? :lol:

Pics would be both cool and instructive. BTW, the reg keys on the eBay set and my C set look very different.

I get a warm feeling whenever I think about getting my mitts on that set before long. Checked my trousers, so we can rule out renal events. :D
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

When was this set made?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Jim McGuire wrote:When was this set made?
If you mean the C set, around 1975-ish. Don't remember right now. Alan G. sent me a letter with the info when I sent him pics of it with inquiries. It's buried in the clutter somewhere. The wood appears to be rosewood, brass metalwork, real ivory originally (mostly to be replaced with art ivory), cherry mainstock (this too will change; Davey will have to tell us what wood he's using, and it will be mostly hollow), staight bass drone in the old style. Works for me.
Davey

oops

Post by Davey »

Sorry Nano...I tried to be polite and kind about it! No really...as a flute player, he was following behaviours he had learned to care for an instrument....

I tell ya, this wood REALLY soaked up the mildew...made my wife horribly sick. The leather bag was ruined by the mildew...

The turning on the set was quite odd...but as nano said....it did indeed have a "personality" to it that was/is quite endearing. I've tried to retain the personality while updating and repairing what I could. The regs had warped so badly that you could not see through the length of the bore,..in other words if you were hold the reg up to the light and sight down the interior of the bore....one would not be able to see the hole on the other end...

The mainstock that came with the set I believe was walnut.....gimme a few days to upload some pics of the set as it was and I'll see about taking some pics of the updated set....
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

I have a late 70's Ginsburg chanter in ebony. It's in good tune, has a quite lovely tone and is frankly beautiful to look at as well. I don't know why his sets aren't more popular. Perhaps his work has changed over the years to where some people no longer like them.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.