W. Rowesome set on ebay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

W. Rowesome set on ebay

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

Davey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Yumm....

Post by Davey »

That's an awfully nice looking set...
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Pity it won't be shipped outside of Europe.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Right, and the next thing you know Jim has it in Chicago..and you wonder how that happened. :wink:

(don't believe everything you hear)
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Hmm...I am in Dublin next Sunday...
glands

Post by glands »

Go get it Jim!!
Davey

Hmmm...

Post by Davey »

I dunno Jim, Ginsberg and his brother have been "dealing" an awful lot of sets lately. Has your position as as Uilleann Don been usurped by the Ginsberg Brothers? :D

Tempting. The set appears to be in very nice condition. For any US buyers add about $1000 in roundtrip airfair to pick them up...then again...how does one go about getting the cites paperwork??

Seriously though...how DOES one ge the proper paperwork etc. to bring this set to the US...?
glands

Post by glands »

One hires Liam Hackett to do the job!!

The set will not, however, qualify under CITES as it is less than 100 years old.

One could probably hand carry the set safely but there is risk if you are selected for inspection upon entry into the US. They would likely impound the pipes indefinitely unless there was post hoc proof of their age. For what its worth, after now 7 or 8 trips to and from Ireland, I have been asked to display all my dirty laundry and pipes only once on return to the US. So, you might figure a 15% chance of loss....and possible fines or pressed orange jumpsuits in your wardrobe for a while.
Davey

heh...

Post by Davey »

The again, one could always simply remove the old ivory.. :o :o
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

glands wrote:One hires Liam Hackett to do the job!!

The set will not, however, qualify under CITES as it is less than 100 years old.
I am of course available for hire!
The set would not qualify as an antique but that doesnae mean it can't get a CITES...My rappore with UK CITES is good,thats the kind of guy I am :wink:
Uilliam
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Hmm, another "W. Rowsome" set or parts thereof. I wonder just how much is original on this set? Again prehaps just parts of the regulators and drones and stock? The chanter doesn't seem to be original as it is lacking all keys and mounts from the look of it and the windcap looks like a later addition as does the bass drone slide. I've never seen an old flat chanter without keys or mounts before. Still prehaps it's a nice sounding set in playing condition.
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Seems to be parts replaced alright. The mount directly below the chanter top (which is a Ginsberg top for sure) is as many of Ginsbergs mounts. Kevin R turned out a few chanters unmounted/keyed etc., so why shouldn't grtgrandad?

W.Rowesome sets?, god, they're ten a penny these days!!!!

Alan
billh

Post by billh »

Uilliam wrote:

I am of course available for hire!
The set would not qualify as an antique but that doesnae mean it can't get a CITES...My rappore with UK CITES is good,thats the kind of guy I am :wink:
Uilliam
You could get a CITES to travel with the set if you were the owner, but you couldn't transport it with the purpose of sale. That probably means, in practice, that you could not get CITES if you had recently purchased the set and were not a resident of the country in which the set previously "resided (because your purchase would have constituted an illegal sale). There's no way to legally sell an item decorated with elephant ivory across national borders.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

billh wrote:
Uilliam wrote:
You could get a CITES to travel with the set if you were the owner, but you couldn't transport it with the purpose of sale. That probably means, in practice, that you could not get CITES if you had recently purchased the set and were not a resident of the country in which the set previously "resided (because your purchase would have constituted an illegal sale). There's no way to legally sell an item decorated with elephant ivory across national borders.
Thats why ye would hire me! :boggle:
Uilliam
DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn »

This is a stab from the past if ever there was one.

This set is one of the very first ones that I was able to examine after I began fooling around with making pipes in 1975. In 1977 it belonged to Mr. John Curry, who was then living in western Massachusetts, as was I. He had acquired the set some years before with the help of the Tom Standeven, from Matt Kiernan (may the two r.i.p.). John claimed that the chanter was one made by Mr. Kiernan, and while it does seem to be stylistically different from other chanters known to be of his make, I think that attribution for the chanter is plausible. The original (missing?) bass drone had been replaced by Matt Kiernan, and I still have that greenheart bass drone here in my shop. The bass drone pictured is a yet later replacement. The caps and ferrules on the baritone and tenor drones seem to have been re-done sometime in the last 27 years, also.

In 1976 I had no means of photographing the set (or anything else), but I do have quite detailed drawings of the externals of this set. It is also a source of great regret (for me, at least) that I had neither the means nor the sophistication to measure the bores of the regulators or chanter at that time. Minimum, maximum, length and throat position were all I recorded. Ah, youth!

As an aside, I recently overhauled a full set in C that I made in 1980. My techniques and aesthetics were inchoate at best at the time I made that set, but to my great surprise, the set worked pretty well, and I was not ashamed to send it back to its patient owner. This Rousome set (although it’s easy enough to see that by 1920, Mr. W had adopted the modern spelling) is the model upon which that and all my pre-1988 C sets were based, including the Gandhi set.

I do not often find myself lusting after old sets of pipes, but this is one I would very much like to have a second look at and a hopefully better informed listen to.

It seems very unlikely that Mr. Curry would be reading this forum, but if he is, or if anyone out there knows him or his whereabouts, I would very much like to be put in touch with him. I owe a very great debt to John Curry, and that’s one of many things that I would like to do something about before my time is up.