Pipe Makers In Australia

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PCL

Re: SIMACK

Post by PCL »

Tony wrote:While it's true Ian and Adrian are top notch pipemakers, don't assume all Australian makers are in that classification or you may be sorely dissapointed.
Justin Pickford has given pipemakers in Australia an undeserved reputation and he provides a perfect example of 'caveat emptor'. Don't assume all pipemakers in any country are top-notch, and don't judge by his workmanship.

Ian MacKenzie, Adrian Jefferies, and Craig Fischer (should you be so lucky to get on his list) are as good as you will find anywhere. Remember, Geoff Wooff began and practised his trade for about 11 years in Australia before he moved to Ireland. Between some nice Harrington, Coyne, and Egan sets -- among others -- that found their way to Australia, there have been some good examples for these makers to copy and model.

There is at least one other emerging from the woodwork (no pun really intended) who has done a nice job of a flat set he made for himself.
CiaranOC

Post by CiaranOC »

Brunach - Check your Private Messages when you get a chance.

Cheers;

Ciaran
brunach
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hi CiaranOC

Post by brunach »

Hi Ciaran.

Please check your private messages.
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pipemakers in Australia

Post by ausdag »

Hi,

New member here, but I've been playing an Adrian Jeffries chanter for the past 12 years. In fact you can hear one of my compositions on his website at -

http://www.irishpipes.net/

called "The Miner's Widow" - a piece I composed about 8 yrs ago to be tacked on the end of one of our Welsh mining songs.
Adrian's chrome-plated sets are very spectacular.

Unfortunately Adrian once fell victim to some of JP's unscrupulous dealings so if you've heard bad news about Adrian or Ian Mackenzie through anyone who's had dealings with JP, don't fall for it.

Salam,

DavidG