new piper old man

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
carel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

new piper old man

Post by carel »

James Connelly
wrote

Some time when I look at the waiting list for uilleann pipes I think to myself I might not live long enough to get a new set of pipes

listen to a slow air (at this moment: pipers dream 5) and time will fade away

(1955)

where are the youngsters?
who is the youngest?

carel
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

I guess I'm a youngster. I'm 30. wanted to play the pipes for years, but couldn't get it together. I was finally encouraged when one of my piper friends said that it was not as hard to play decently as made out to be. The other thing that did it was all the people who play pipes saying that they had found the fiddle too hard. I play the fiddle relatively well, so I'm told :oops: So, the rest is history.

Corin
tok

Post by tok »

I have played for 20 years , I hurt my arm , now I cant play at all . I think I will take up harp till my arm heals . I played wistle as a lefty for 4 years , then when the pipes came , I played right handed . Now , I may have to relearn pipes as a lefty again . Ok has everyone heard that I hurt my arm ?? lol Age 43 . tom . Better late than never , and , no needle is sharp at both ends . :)
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

meemtp wrote:I guess I'm a youngster. I'm 30. wanted to play the pipes for years, but couldn't get it together. I was finally encouraged when one of my piper friends said that it was not as hard to play decently as made out to be. The other thing that did it was all the people who play pipes saying that they had found the fiddle too hard.
Corin
I'm 30, too, (thanks for saying you are a youngster :D ) and I recently gave up trying to learn fiddle for the last 9 years and am now switching to pipes. I think both are hard in different ways. It's easier for me to play (relatively) in tune on the pipes but harder for me to play fast. One of the hard parts for me has been not getting frustrated with my complete inability to play at speed!! But it's amazing how that practicing thing really is helping...

Justine
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Hey, Tom, really sorry to hear about your arm.
But hope it heals right, and quickly too! So, don't be
fool-hardy and sell all your pipes!
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

What did you find hardest about the fiddle Justine? And how about the pipes? I found with the fiddle, the bowing was the hardest, followed by certain ornaments. The ornaments are not a problem now, but bowing certain tunes is still a bit of a problem. At least if you want it to sound right. I also play the flute, and found that I developed a style, unintentionally actually, that I end up playing piping style. I'm wondering if that will help me when I get to the point on the pipes that I can work in some ornamentation.

Corin