£6000 for a full set, where do I go?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Pipeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

£6000 for a full set, where do I go?

Post by Pipeman »

Not going to ask for anything other than recommendations of UK or European makers.

I am sick of being flamed.

OK who do I go to for a decent set of pipes for a decent price?

What can I expect to get for £6000?

Mark
vcolby

Post by vcolby »

Pipeman,

The reason the pipes are so expensive is that the makers are masters of steel, leather and wood -- each of these skills takes most people a lifetime to develop. Combining them in application to make a pipe that sounds good and is reliable is a miracle.

I see from the other discussion that you are probably weary of putting down money for pipes. I was in the same situation 1.5yrs ago, and cautiously put $1k down on a Joe Kennedy set. It was worth the wait, as Joe came through with a beautiful set of pipes that are reliable, beautiful sounding and easy to play. Because he is a Canadian vendor, the pipes will be cheaper for you as an American buyer. If you want a detailed reference of my history with Joe, contact me privately.

I am so pleased that I am going to put $1k down this week on a flat set from him, regardless of when he delivers, it will be worth the wait.

Cheers,

Novice Piper
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Try the tips we've posted in the FAQ.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=14466
There are a number of links to pipemaker sites. I recommend you surf them and compile your own comparison matrix of features based on what's in your price range.

Also, if you don't want to get flamed, then my recommendation is don't walk in and start blasting someone.

-gary
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Is Pakistan in Europe? If your reputation gets around you might wind up with a lot of hung up phones and slammed doors.
Pipemakers don't make sh*t! In the states the taxes on a self-employed craftsman are just horrible. You either have to be a capitalist factory manager type, have totally neglible overhead, a sideline that pays most of the bills, or really love what you are doing.
Irish Terrier

Post by Irish Terrier »

Buy a flute, as you need to clear out some off that bad hearted rubbish that seems to flow from you. Better still, buy a set of Highland pipes and get the fcuk out of Irish music altogether!!! Are you a friend of a guy named Royce?

Yours disowningly,
Seamus :x
irishpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

Hey Pipeman,

You might want to consider Seth Gallagher. He makes a awesome set of pipes, and he is a great guy! His products are very reasonable. A++++
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

Hey Pipeman,

You might want to consider Seth Gallagher. He makes a awesome set of pipes, and he is a great guy! His products are very reasonable. A++++
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I think now is the time for everyone to grow up a bit and drop it with the flaming. If you're trying to elicit more negative responses from Pipeman, you're doing just great - keep it up.

He's asked a reasonable question, and if all you can do is try to turn it into a negative post - perhaps like him you may wish to think twice before posting.

This board is a very cool place, and it can only stay that way by everyone watching what they say and how they say it. When Dale started this new board a couple years ago now was it?...anyway, I asked him if we could add this forum as the pipes were fairly closely related to the whistle. The poor guy doesn't even play the pipes, but he agreed so that folks not unlike myself might have a place to discuss - not to slam each other day in and day out.

Again, if someone has issues, listen and *think* if there is any information you can add that will be constructive. If all you want to do is jump to save someones honor, you may want to ask why. If someone else has issues with a maker or a makers product or business practices, there very well be good and justified reason. We can easily invest more money than it takes to buy a decent used car into a set of pipes be they good or bad, so it is quite understandable that some's nerves may get a bit frayed and tempers heated by bad products and/or services.

I wish more folks had offered me the kind help on the board as I've received from some in privete emails, and in person. It is possible to be frank (and yes, in some cases quite negative about a makers work etc.) and yet still be helpful to your fellow piper. If you can pass on your feelings to the maker in a constructive way then everyone benefits from better communication and in the end, very likely a better product.

I hope this helps to put some at ease. Here's to the lot of us keeping what has to be one of the most daft traditions ever thought up alive and well! :D

Cheers!

Bri~
Brigitte

Re: £6000 for a full set, where do I go?

Post by Brigitte »

Pipeman wrote:Not going to ask for anything other than recommendations of UK or European makers.

I am sick of being flamed.

OK who do I go to for a decent set of pipes for a decent price?

What can I expect to get for £6000?

Mark

Mark,
I am not a piper nor do I know alot about pipes but I pick up comments from musicians every now and again :) So for the price you mention both makers are in your price range even with specials. What you get for it you can find out in their websites and via email to them. What I can say about them from personal experience is that both are very nice guys.

Hope it helps
Brigitte

http://www.uilleann-pipes.de Andreas Rogge
http://www.brendanring.com/home.htm Brendan Ring
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Best to buy an existing set, based on your past experience. Avoids a LOT of angst!
Piipemaan

Post by Piipemaan »

go to a piipemaaker! :wink:
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Piipemaan '=. pipeman

:D ?

Just Kidding.
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

That avatar is very disturbing. I'd appreciate it if you changed it Piipmaan.

Patrick.
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:That avatar is very disturbing. I'd appreciate it if you changed it Piipmaan.

Patrick.
As Freud said: Sometimes a cigar is just a penis,..er..um...CIGAR! :lol:
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Looks like someone has joystick envy!