Who took over from Brian Howard? .

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Peter Likestone
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Who took over from Brian Howard? .

Post by Peter Likestone »

Hi everybody, and happy new year!
It has been a few years since Brian took a well-deserved retirement. It would be a shame if his know-how and his equipment had disappeared.
Has anyone taken over as a pipe maker?
I have some maintenance work, even modifications to do on my set and it would be nice for someone to continue Brian's activity.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Who took over from Brian Howard? .

Post by rorybbellows »

Sorry I can't answer your question regarding Mr Howard ,but your OP does raise an interesting point.
What's to be done when your pipes need professional attention and the maker is no longer in business ?
You'd be lucky to find a pipemaker who would work on a non-classic set of pipes . Maybe to time consuming for what they can charge or they are just to busy making their own pipes. Going to your local music shop could put you in touch with a woodwind maker who may do the work.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Mogens Hundevad

Post by Mogens Hundevad »

Hi! The whistle part of the shop is stil running with a new man in charge. Same web adress. hHe might point you in the right direction.
Mogens
Moof
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Brian is still making reeds in Gibraltar, and you order via the Howard Music website:

https://www.howardmusic.co.uk/product/reeds/

Sorry, I pressed Post too son! I imagine he may be able to help with work on pipes too, if you contact him via the website.
buskerSean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Here’s a chat I recorded with Brian a couple of years back.
https://amp.listennotes.com/podcasts/we ... PTzZ2/amp/