Where the heck do reed gouges lurk?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tiarnard
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a whistle player/maker and uilleann piper. I am not a spammer or a robot. To demonstrate this, I will proclaim: fipple, crann, cut, roll, tap, mouthpiece. Ebony and mopane are good woods, brass is nice too (though it's not a wood), I wish I had a Copeland, and I broke my fist Clarke whistle trying to tweak it. Cheers!

Where the heck do reed gouges lurk?

Post by Tiarnard »

I've spent most of my afternoon trying to find somewhere to get an incannel gouge for reedmaking, with no luck. (from what I've been able to glean, I'm looking for a 16mm #7 sweep) All I've been able to find is regular outcannel gouges, with the exception of some (very expensive) violinmaking tools from Germany. A few antique pieces show up on Ebay, but size/sweep is pretty hit and miss. Am I missing something obvious, or are they just that hard to find?
Thanks much!
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Where the heck do reed gouges lurk?

Post by rorybbellows »

https://www.ashleyilestoolstore.co.uk/c ... s/incannel
Not sure if these are what you're looking for,but sure have a look anyway
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I dunno. I G00gled ´in-cannel gouges´ and got this :https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/i ... o_Cherries
Alternatively just re-grind a ´normal´ gouge. Slowly so you don´t fubar the temper. :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Also: search Etsy for wood carving tools. Sometimes known as ´spoon carving tools´. Or, meet the maker. . .Etsy has some very friendly custom Blacksmiths.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

As mentioned above Ashley Iles have a good range but I think they're behind with their production and don't have a full stock at present.

Na Piobairi Uilleann usually carry a few Ashley Iles gouges but a quick look shows they've sold out too.

A #7 sweep seems a bit steep for general Uilleann pipe chanter and regulator reeds. Sweep #3 or #4 would be more usual.

The standard Henry Taylor 3/4" is roughly a #8 sweep, they also make a 5/8" that may do the trick if its definitely a 16mm #7 sweep you need.
Try here https://www.toolnut.co.uk/collections/f ... ing-gouges

Ashly Iles are the better gouge but they are more expensive and there may be a bit of a wait.

Iain
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

You could make your own from a piece of tool steel like the one Ben uses in the NPU reed making video.Half inch by one eight would probably do it, the curve at the front might take some experimentation.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Post by elbowmusic »

I'll second the idea of using the homemade gouge that Benedict Koehler uses in the NPU videos. Easy to make, works great.
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
Tiarnard
Tell us something.: I'm a whistle player/maker and uilleann piper. I am not a spammer or a robot. To demonstrate this, I will proclaim: fipple, crann, cut, roll, tap, mouthpiece. Ebony and mopane are good woods, brass is nice too (though it's not a wood), I wish I had a Copeland, and I broke my fist Clarke whistle trying to tweak it. Cheers!

Post by Tiarnard »

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll have to take a look at all those. For the Kohler homemade gouge, are the videos you're referring to available online, or are they DVDs I'd have to purchase? Thanks much!
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

It appears that the videos from “The Heart of the Instrument”) are available online at the NPU website:

https://pipers.ie/source/gallery/?galleryId=136

You can also order a copy of the set (2 disks, 4 master reed makers) from NPU. Worth it regardless the cost.

I think that someone used to post here advertising that they can make the “Benedictine” reed scraper.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Ceann Cromtha wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:02 am It appears that the videos from “The Heart of the Instrument”) are available online at the NPU website:

https://pipers.ie/source/gallery/?galleryId=136

You can also order a copy of the set (2 disks, 4 master reed makers) from NPU. Worth it regardless the cost.

I think that someone used to post here advertising that they can make the “Benedictine” reed scraper.
Fascinating resource, although the Koehler videos are actually at https://pipers.ie/source/gallery/?galleryId=135. In particular, he talks about the gouging tools in https://pipers.ie/source/media/?gallery ... diaId=9691.
Tiarnard

Post by Tiarnard »

Perfect, thanks for the answers. I think that's something I could make. Does anyone know if the dimensions are at all important? Benedict made no mention in the video of how wide the tool is, or what curve radius it has on the end.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

You’ll find some useful information in this thread (from some time ago):

viewtopic.php?t=95205

Apparently, a member of the Forum named J-Dub = John Ward is the one who can fabricate the Benedictine gadget:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88651&p=1076346&hil ... e#p1076346
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

an seanduine wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:46 pm I dunno. I G00gled ´in-cannel gouges´ and got this :https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/i ... o_Cherries
Alternatively just re-grind a ´normal´ gouge. Slowly so you don´t fubar the temper. :D

Bob
Still using a FUBAR'd gouge, as a bit of a reminder to not do so.

To answer the question, just look for a gouge--grind later. Sizes and sweeps are a bit proprietary, but I think mine are 3/4" Henry Taylor gouges, #8 and #5 (or #6 . . . the stamp isn't clear). It really doesn't matter much. You just need a shallow sweep to rough gouge, and a deep gouge to get your centerline just a bit over your dimension so you don't spend forever on the sanding cylinder. Your cylinder is the most important thing to create your inside curvature.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.