Soundproofing a practice room

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
liestman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Soundproofing a practice room

Post by liestman »

I have an upstairs bedroom where I intend to practice but the sound bleeds over a lot to the room downstairs and annoys the family. I have sealed the door and that certainly helped with sound leaking into the hallway but no big improvement downstairs where especially the bass tones go right through the plywood-under-cheap-carpet floor.

Have any of you actually worked to make a room more soundproof? I have browsed around the web and find all sorts of solutions, from special products to egg cartons (although that might now work well on the floor!). Any real life experience you can off would be appreciated! I don't mind spending some money on this project but then again I don't want to go so far as to build the room-in-a-room things. Plus I am interested in keeping sound from going out of the room, especially downstairs, and not worried about enhancing the sound in the room for recording purposes.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by liestman on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
uillmann

Re: Soundproofing a pracitce room

Post by uillmann »

Simply remove the vortex booster. Problem solved. And you can put in lots of fluffy pillows and drapes. Or you can buy this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Soundproofing-Ac ... CJGDP5T1DQ
liestman

Re: Soundproofing a practice room

Post by liestman »

Well, I sold the last booster a long time ago. But seriously, the thing is the sound going down through the floor, which I can't put foam panels on. The foam might help keep the sound from going through the walls but not the floor, I fear.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

If the room is dedicated for practice and small enough to make the following idea practical, you could possibly go some distance in sound containment for the floor: Using no nails or glue, completely cover the floor with rigid or semi-rigid foam - the thicker the better, no doubt - next plywood on top of that, throw on carpeting, and you have a nomadic-grade raised floor. The plywood easily ought to be a stable enough surface for practice, which is all you really need. Sure, it ain't the Taj Mahal, but if it works and isn't going to spill the beer, you're set.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
liestman

Post by liestman »

Thanks Nano, I think that is where I am headed.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Who could possibly complain about the dulcet tones from your gorgeous K&Q set John??? Maybe your family should have their hearing tested. Other than that, I have no serious suggestions. I practice out in my office, which is in a separate building 150' away from the house - but that is more to control humidity than for noise abatement.

Good luck with it at any rate, and see you at O'Flaherty in October.

Lee
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

Sound deadening is all about decoupling the energy transfer to the surrounding rooms. Foam/carpet on the floors helps with the transfer to the floor below, but unless you add damping between you and the room walls, the same energy will transfer into the walls, and the structure of the house. Egg cartons, etc. attached to the room walls will break up (somewhat) the room resonances, but do little to reduce energy transfer into the walls.

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Another option, albeit somewhat more expensive, is to add blown-in insulation to the floor/ceiling space as well as to the interior walls of the room, if any (assuming that any exterior walls will already be insulated). This isn't as effective as acoustic insulation, but it should cut down the sound transmittal considerably. Add to that a foam rubber layer under the carpeting, and it might solve your problem.

Of course, you could simply distribute foam earplugs to the non-piping occupants but that does tend to cut down on conversation...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
bcullen

Post by bcullen »

It might be cheaper to buy a soundproof booth as used in studios I have seen them on evil bay.
Put the family in the booth and away you go :lol:
Bryan
Christian Tietje
Tell us something.: I'm an Uilleann Piper since 1985 and before piping a Flute-Player since 1977. Beside thits I played German Pipes in German Folk Music and I play and sing to the Guitar.

Post by Christian Tietje »

Hi you,
not by experience with my pipes but as a professional engineer - you can only reduce transferring noise energy by putting heavy material between the source and the to be protected space, which in your case will probably be difficult. Material of choice would be concrete, 20 to 40 mm plaster board or similar stuff.
Christian Tietje
liestman

Post by liestman »

Thanks all!
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
pudinka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by pudinka »

I didn't think about it, but what about a Man Cave in the back corner of the garage?
It's true that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar - but a big, steaming pile works best of all.
BzzzzT

Post by BzzzzT »

This is what I did. I am no expert in sound treating, but this worked well for me. This is just what I did in general.

Gotta keep the wife somewhat :party:

Here is what I did not reduce sound from my office/chillpad/music room. I have two nice stereos that I run all the time and my uilleann pipes which my wife would probably like to burn. My wife is very chill but I did not want the sound to carry as I play music all the time.

The most effective I did was to treat the ducts. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a bat of fiberglass insulation. Tear this into thin strips that are around 1.5” thick. Line ALL ducts to the adjacent rooms with the fiberglass. Next if there is a junction cut a piece of wood and staple some fiberglass to it. You want to make a little junction wall in the duct so there is not clear shot to the other room. The sound must hit the pad. A wood stick is handy to persuade/wack the fiberglass in place. You don't have to adhere it with anything. It will stay in place if you do a good job. You don't have to line the whole duct. Just get as far as you possibly can. I saw a MAJOR improvement from this. House ducts carry sound all over the place. My wife always hangs out in the room across from mine and even with my stereo going hard the sound very thin.

Next if your door is a cheap hollow door you will want to put a better door on.

This was my initial treatment. Costs almost nothing for the duct treatment. You just gotta get down and dirty with your duct work. I saw no reduction in airflow to my rooms from this BTW.

Treating your room for sound will improve your sound overall. This is a must for accurate sound. I bought some Auralex wall pads and put these where the sound is and 6 large bass corner traps that suck up lots of bass. Ebay is your friend when buying this stuff. You can also make some nice panels with fiberglass. Auralex sells a special spray to mount the panels to your wall.

Now I can blast pipes/music and it is only a light din the the next room ;) My stereo in my living room on the other hand will never be tamed :twisted:

For bass I use these.

http://www.auralex.com/product/dst-lenrds/

You will need a couple. I used six in my room. They will not get really deep bass but these are huge waves several feet long.

http://www.acousticfields.com/diy-bass- ... ild-plans/

If you are going to get serious about killin that bass.

http://nagasakisound.com/how-to-build-corner-bass-trap/

Easy DIY.

A very effective easy trap is to get or build a big box and fill it with activated carbon. This will not be cheap but you can buy big bags of the stuff. Shove this in a corner and will absorb bass.
liestman

Post by liestman »

Thanks all. I will see what I can do, but I think Pudinka may have hit on it.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
PadraigMI

Post by PadraigMI »

Sorry to be so late to the party.
Like several suggestions before, absorption is what you need.
Here's the best deal:
https://www.vocalboothtogo.com/product/ ... and-white/

Works for me.