Are there tunes you will not play anymore?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Are there tunes you will not play anymore?

Post by tommykleen »

This is a tangent from the "hardest tunes" thread. Are there tunes that have been played to death so much that you have an almost physical reaction to playing them? Like when you scratch an itch so much that it starts to bleed?

For me, it's the following "session" tunes (labeled that because they have been played at pretty much every session I've been to locally over the past 25 years): Cooley's, Ships are Sailing, Maid behind the Bar. Maybe it's that people rip through these (because everyone knows them) and that I just haven't sat down and piped them, if you know what I mean. There's nothing wrong with these tunes themselves, obviously. Iconic tunes.

Perhaps this thread speaks more to an aversion to repeated stimuli than piping music.Or reticence in a local session scene. It can be very hard to move the needle sometimes.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
magroibin

Re: Are there tunes you will not play anymore?

Post by magroibin »

Yeah, I've seen people stop playing when a certain tune comes up as they don't want to play THAT tune again.
Rubbish I say!
When such a tune comes up in a session I see it as an opportunity - an opportunity for me to play it differently than I have before. And with the pipes there's tons of variation available just with ornamentation alone - never mind what you can do differently on the regulators!
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Playing it differently? Isn't that anathema in a session :o

t
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I figure if you're not adding to the music, then you should sit out. Doing something differently may add, and it may detract, sometimes seriously.

There are very few tunes I won't play, but there are a couple! I think it's fine to sit things out, but if the sessions regularly play tunes and sets you're sick of, maybe better to not sit and glower, but rather just not go... It depends really on how much it happens. (I've never seen Tom glower. Ever.)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I have to put Cooley's at the top of my "AGGGGGGHHHH!" list, and MBTB and Sally Gardens aren't far behind. In part, I think because they do get pretty rough treatment in sessions. Everyone goes "woot" and piles on, and unmusical mayhem ensues. I usually adopt the Liz Carroll approach of trying to play it, like magroibin says, differently, or beautifully, or something to change it up like phrasing, articulation, triplets in other places, etc. (IIRC, Liz said she likes to see how far out she can go with it before she hits the third rail, but I'd have to be a lot better to do that.)

Anyway. Not that I succeed, but at least trying to play it differently can be a distraction 'til the tune's over and we can play something I like better. As the old punchline goes, "Beige ... I think I'll paint it ... beige." :-D

I saw Tom glower once. But he was kidding :-) (I hope so, anyway, since he was glowering at me!)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

If I could draw a graph on here, I would.
It would be a line graph showing the negative correlation between speed of play and musicality of the tune.
If you're playing a march, then play it at a marching speed! I'm military, I know how to march; and nobody marches at 200 bpm!
Dance tunes: whether it's a strathspey, jig, slip-jig, hornpipe, reel, or polka, never play faster than a pretty girl can dance.

With just that rule in employ, no, there isn't a tune I wouldn't play.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I have a list with the titles of all my tunes on it in random order, so as to avoid playing warhorses all night long. I think of playing the Kesh jig as an inevitability, like a musical root canal. :lol:

Or instead of the boring old Kesh I might play the Comedy Maid instead.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

The tune that comes to mind for me is The Butterfly.
Life is good.
tommykleen

Post by tommykleen »

Here you go: The Comedy Maid
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I've always been a bit anti-Cooleys reel.
but since getting a C#d box and listening to Tony McMahon play it.
i cant stop playing it. just sits well under the fingers......
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

I have been in many a session where someone has played Cooley's/Kesh/Sligo Maid/Sally Gardens/Spootaskerry/insert your flogged-to-death old warhorse here. The first thought that crosses my mind is, "Oh, for f **'s sake, this bloody tune again." The second thought, on the tails of that one, is "Do I want to be that much of a douchebag? The jerk who sits there with their instrument in their lap, reveling in their musical erudition and rolling their eyes at the poor little novicey players who were naive enough to play Cooley's. No, that's a douchey thing to do." Then I play the tune.

There are sessions where all they play are those knackered warhorses, and belt them out without care nor feeling. I don't go to those sessions because I don't enjoy that, but it's better to not show up than to show up and roll my eyes. Sometimes, when traveling and fancying a tune in a foreign city, I might end up at such a session. In that case, I grin and play along. They're locals playing what they like at their session. I'm a visitor. Suck it up and play the Kesh.

P.S. Dunnp; I'm so happy to hear that box is getting played. :)
oliver

Post by oliver »

All tunes deserve to be played. All the good ones, I mean.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Yeah.. Most of the "big" piping tunes that have been done to death!
I find it hard to stomach another rendition of Colonal Frazer yet again! I love hearing refreshing new tunes done on pipes..
I've been playing quite a few unusual piping tunes from Goodman Manuscripts and also some lovely Vincent Broderick tunes.
Please no more Bucks of Oranmore.... Ever! :thumbsup:
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
oliver

Post by oliver »

benwalker wrote: Please no more Bucks of Oranmore.... Ever! :thumbsup:
Pity you can't say that to Séamus Ennis ! :D
kathaleenypoopa

Post by kathaleenypoopa »

When I played clarinet those years ago, I was in a Master Class with Richard Stoltzman once (I was just an observer). Someone asked him "how can you stand to play Mozart's Clarinet Concerto anymore after all these years"? He said "It to me is like an old friend. There is so much in the piece that is familiar, but I find I want to dig deeper and explore new qualities about it each time I play it".

I think if you've been playing in sessions for a while that don't have an influx of new tunes coming in occasionally, you're bound to have tunes that you cannot stand to play - but hearing a fresh perspective on it - hearing a setting of it you hadn't heard before can make that old friend more interesting, and can maybe help you explore it from a new angle.

That being said, I have no idea how to do that with the Kesh Jig! :P