Question - sets for sale

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Question - sets for sale

Post by anima »

judging by the number of sets for sale here, do you think the market is fairly saturated right now?
Ted
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: sets for sale

Post by Ted »

Not sure what you mean by saturated. The makers I know personally all have waiting lists running into years. No one seems to be backing out. It is good there are used sets available; instant gratification. As there are a large number of makers these days, there are also a number of folks who have given it a try but want to move on to something else. Were the market saturated, the wait lists would be getting shorter which does not seem to be the case.
Finikey O'Reeley

Post by Finikey O'Reeley »

I think it's great that people who own sets they aren't using are passing them along to someone who might. That's how I got mine!
Never give others good reason to be glad to see you go.
oliver

Post by oliver »

I don't think there are so many sets around... or maybe is it just I can't find one that interests me :D
Borja Baragaño
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Question - sets for sale

Post by Borja Baragaño »

In my case, I've sold my Bruce Childress full set body recently, because I like to have now a full set body from Andreas Rogge with a A-drone. Now I live in Germany and it's easier to me getting reeds, for example, directly from the maker just driving in his workshop.
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

It wasn't that long ago that if you wanted a set of Uilleann pipes you played the set that you could get, rather than the set you may have wanted. These days players have the option of choosing from a wide variety of makers and available sets. In that sense Uilleann pipes have just "caught up" to other types of instruments in terms of accessibility. I mean classified ads everywhere are full of guitars, yet they still make new ones. Pipe-makers wait lists are full because now players would have had a chance to test out many different types of sets and have settled on the one they really want.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I remember in the early 2000s, maybe even up to 2008, demand was much higher, and so more people started making. I think this was due to a combination of things, mainly a reasonably strong economy, with more disposable income (the Feel-Good effect), but also a strong interest in Irish culture and music (the Riverdance effect).

Then the financial crisis hit, disposable income fell, and demand tailed off. Interest in Irish culture also waned a little. But you still have more people making pipes today than in, say 2000. So we're probably going to have a healthy second-hand pipes market for a while until demand picks up again.
PJ