A proper D cran?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bobkeenan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

A proper D cran?

Post by bobkeenan »

This is a bit similar to my previous post about how Willie Clancy plays or anyone else plays a good bottom D Cran. So its the Bottom D and while leaving the chanter open playing a G cut then and F# cut and then an A cut.

Here is the question. Do you try to get full closure on each cut note before proceeding to the next almost like there is a tiny tiny pause between each cut so that they are distinct cuts? If this is the case I still have A LOT more practicing to do.

OR

Is it more like a trill where there is almost no perceptible pause between cuts..... I have that one down pat but wondering if that may be incorrect.

Or are there lots of different styles and it does not matter as long as it sounds good ;-)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: A proper D cran?

Post by pancelticpiper »

Possibly no two pipers play crans exactly the same way.

But the distinct bubbling or rippling sound comes from the Bottom D being distinctly heard between each cut.

The sequence of cuts doesn't matter much... you'll hear FGA, GFA, GFG, and every other sequence.

Then there's the thing that sort of sounds like a cran, but really isn't, that fluteplayers and whistleplayers often did in the old days, which is DFED. Up to speed, and with correct timing, it gives the illusion of a cran.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
uillmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by uillmann »

There are a lot of different crans, chosen on the fly, depending on different situations. These are all covered extensively in the excellent treatise "The Union Pipes A Workbook" by the esteemed author, Mr. Dennis Brooks. He does not, however, provide a guide as to which variety is chosen given a particular situation. That is best learned by experience, forethought, and even the behavior of the reed at any given time. I wholeheartedly encourage every aspiring piper own a copy of this indispensable piping encyclopedia.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

bobkeenan wrote: Do you try to get full closure on each cut note before proceeding to the next almost like there is a tiny tiny pause between each cut so that they are distinct cuts?

OR

Is it more like a trill where there is almost no perceptible pause between cuts
It's hard to know exactly what you mean because of the way your questions are worded.

In neither a trill, nor a cran, is there any 'pause'. Both techniques equally require "full closure" if they are to sound like what they are.

To show what I mean, a trill on F# in the 2nd octave (the most common one pipers do) is the alternating between G and F#

x xxx ooxx
x xxx xoxx
x xxx ooxx
x xxx xoxx

the G finger must fully close to create the F#'s; if it doesn't fully close you don't get F# but a wooly sound halfway between F# and G.

For crans it's lifting AND REPLACING a series of fingers to create a series of upper notes in between a series of clearly enunciated Bottom D's, such as:

x xxo xxxx
x xxx xxxx
x xxx xoxx
x xxx xxxx
x xxx oxxx
x xxx xxxx

Often the first gracenote is A because that can help get Hard Bottom D. That sequence of gracenotes there, AFG, is only one of many, because you can go AGF or FGA or GFA (which leaves the A finger free to separate D melody notes).

Then there's a different thing, a legato triplet FED, in context fingered off the leg, like this:

x xxx xxxx
x xxx xoox
x xxx xxox
x xxx xxxx

usually preceeded by an A cut. You can hear Paddy Keenan doing a load of these on his Doublin' album.

This is the 'cran' that fluteplayers often did in the old days, before Matt Molloy got everybody doing piping crans on the flute.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

bobkeenan wrote:
Here is the question. Do you try to get full closure on each cut note before proceeding to the next almost like there is a tiny tiny pause between each cut so that they are distinct cuts?
The only thing that should come between each cut is the good solid sounding of the Bottom D or Bottom E, whichever you happen to be cranning on. No pauses.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
TomC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomC »

Denis' book, "The Union Pipes: A Workbook", is available from the Irish Pipers' Club in Seattle

Email us if interested.

Tom

irishpipersclub@gmail.com
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

To expound on the above, no matter the sequence of cuts, what you want is solid (clearly heard) bottom D's...or E's..so the cuts should just be blips relative to the actual note you are cranning.