Spare chanters

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
m muir
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Spare chanters

Post by m muir »

Hi there! What is the general view out there about having a spare chanter in your pipe case just in case something goes awry with your preferred chanter or it's reed during a session or gig? Is this something that is regarded as sensible or rather as unecessary and a waste of money? Look forward to any views on the subject.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Spare chanters

Post by PJ »

I wouldn't see much sense in spending a large sum of money on what would effectively be a spare tire. Having an extra reed or two is a cheaper way.

I'd see sense in having an extra chanter in a different pitch or maybe a narrow-bore D.
PJ
m muir
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by m muir »

Thanks PJ. I guess it's different from some other instruments in live settings where a backup, albeit a cheap one, is advisable or essential.
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

I guess it also depends on your needs. A touring musician needs to be prepared for anything in a way a local session musician does not.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

If you have a spare that's reasonably balanced/works with your set, and there's room in your case, I don't see why it would hurt. When I have a gig I might throw my other chanter in the case for backup, but it's a much lighter reed so it takes some thought. So far I've had one occasion to resort to it, and I couldn't play it with the drones because of the air difference.

The longer you play pipes, the more likely you are to end up with an extra chanter you haven't/can't let go of for some reason. But I certainly wouldn't like, go out and buy one for that purpose -- unless, of course, my piping was vital enough to some enterprise to cover the cost and hassle.

But since it's not, I think I'd do the same thing I did back then ... carry my tinwhistle and save my pennies for a flat chanter. :love:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Over 35 years playing the same Quinn D chanter, never had the need for an extra one.

I suppose it could happen, the chanter snap in two!

I do carry an extra reed that works well. And I have a C chanter in the case.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

An extra playable chanter in a piper´s case??? Did you ever find a bone in a dog´s hut?
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

I played my Bourke chanter for 25 years. It was the only one I had but I have 2 other ones now so I find myself switching between them all which probably isn't good for my playing.

I have a nice lignum vitae chanter nearly finished for myself so I think I'll stick with that for a while.

Tommy
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

As for me, I've got to know all the eccentricities of that Quinn chanter with that reed (been playing the same reed since 1982) and I would feel like a fish out of water with a different D in my hands.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I have an extra keyed Williams chanter I bought from a saxophone player a few years ago, so I usually toss it into the case. It's set up to play quieter than my main chanter, so it's useful in a smaller session, or duo setting, or when playing at home. Saves messing with reeds. Have no problem adjusting between the two, just plug and play.
anima

Post by anima »

I'd say carry an extra chanter only if it's in a different key and you'll need to/want to play in that key. Otherwise carry extra reeds, not chanters.