Inquiring piper wants to know

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
glands
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Inquiring piper wants to know

Post by glands »

Who's producing the greatest number of acceptable/playable concert sets these days?

Who crafts the best concert pitch-looking flat sets?

Who crafts the quietest wide-bore flat sets?

If David Quinn and Geoff Woof engineered and crafted a set of pipes together what woud be the result?

Should pipers arm wrestle other people with their non-dominant arms?

Anyone have a C# set they are ecstatic about and want to tell us about?

Whyizit my D and C sets play like a dream one nite but not the next despite identical temp, humidity, same time of nite, same room, same chair, blah blah blah?

Do you think linearly or in packets when playing a tune?

If you were to propose a new name for regulators what would it be?

Since a chanter doesnt really chant why do we call it a chanter?

Can you think of any other event, other than a tionol, where "the bores" are more important than the folks who think they're the main attraction?
TWJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Inquiring piper wants to know

Post by TWJ »

Re 'Why Chanter' enquiry - it's French - the verb 'to sing'
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

ok :0 I'll bite !! :lol:
glands wrote:Who's producing the greatest number of acceptable/playable concert sets these days?
The pipemaker that's had their books closed for the longest period of time.
glands wrote:Do you think linearly or in packets when playing a tune?
Yes. And, no. In other words, sometimes. One must put the packets in a cohesive 'syntax', in order for the larger, more 'cogent' lines (sentences) to relate the tune as a complete whole, which intentionally expresses more than the sum of its parts.
glands wrote:If you were to propose a new name for regulators what would it be?
Mass instruments of harmonic construction. Wait thats too long...howzabout..."Regs" :poke: Wait no, too snarky. :( , .hmm howazabout 'buttons'? hmm. no... this is a tough question.
glands wrote: Since a chanter doesnt really chant why do we call it a chanter?
Well, as I understand it, this all has to to with Indoeuropean root languages. Chanting, derives of course from canto, cantare, cantabile, i.e. "To Sing"....the common usage of 'chant' implies a more monophonic texture as practised by certain monastic sects in the middle ages. Add a drone, and regs, and the texture changes. Every epoch defines its chosen favorite instrument by the one that most closely imitates the human voice. So its the piece of a bagipe that most closely approaches that vocal deal. & Thats why. :party: But you knew all of this already, I bet. :D
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

Yes.

:wink: :lol:

Good questions! Now you've given me something to think about today, maybe I'll stop back later and post a few ideas.
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Deartháir don phaidir an port.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

An Draighean wrote:42
Yes...
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

glands wrote:Who's producing the greatest number of acceptable/playable concert sets these days?

If David Quinn and Geoff Woof engineered and crafted a set of pipes together what woud be the result?
Don't get me wrong. I don't know David Quinn but I heard about his work and that it's good. I know Geoff from the C&F forums
and he's a very friendly man with a lot of knowledge about the pipes (and I also know he makes great pipes), but why is it
always about these two pipemakers?

How about Bill haneman, Andreas Rogge, Seth gallagher and all the other good pipemakers we can mention? :)
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

glands wrote:
Anyone have a C# set they are ecstatic about and want to tell us about?

Yes, it's not a set, but it is a nice chanter! Will be getting drones soon! :)

Unless this is some sort of passive aggressive message to me.....
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

glands

Post by glands »

Bill H is awesome! I like the sound of his work. The looks too. I'd own a C# set of his make.

Anybody bothered by the fact that there are 13 keys on a full set of regulators? Maybe they're inherently unlucky and thats why they creep out of tune.

My Cn note was flat to the drones and regs this morn. Here's what I did to fix it...remove windcap...look at reed with consternation..... touch bridle without any pereptible movement of such...voila....singing like a carnary now!

I'm thinking of Uilleann Pipes.....elbow pipes...when the shoulders are where its at (as I feel it in my left one trying to drive this D set)...and the hands...and the lap...should we rename them shoulder or lap pipes???? Whats Gaelic for Lap pipes? Shoulder pipes? Old microbiologists change the names of bacteria all the time...shouldn't old pipers be able to change the name of the instrument?! It's our responsibility!!
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Why not call them union pipes, they name they had until G. Flood published the spurious name uilleann pipes, in order to have an Irish name for the instrument.
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

glands wrote:
Whyizit my D and C sets play like a dream one nite but not the next despite identical temp, humidity, same time of nite, same room, same chair, blah blah blah?

They are too tired, or not in the mood! :P

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

If you were to propose a new name for regulators what would it be?

That's a good question! "Regulators" is terrible... it's rather long and technical-sounding but it has nothing to do with what the things are... they don't "regulate" anything.

Thing is, the other pipes have succinct one-word names which describe exactly what they do: the chanter "sings" the tune and the drones "drone".

The regs accompany or harmonise. Perhaps a French word meaning "the things that accompany" or "the things that harmonise" would be the best, if such words exist.

The words symphony, zampogna, tsumpoi, etc mean "sound together" and maybe something along those lines would be good.

"Chorders" says what they do but sounds a bit odd. Well I guess anything other than "regulators" will sound odd, to us.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

[quote="glands"]
Who crafts the best concert pitch-looking flat sets?

Arguably, 3 or 4 makers.

Who crafts the quietest wide-bore flat sets?

The one who makes the quietest reeds.

A set of pipes that both secretly think, "man.. 1/2 this set looks perfect!"

...sometimes you're in better practice. So... things feel, or even sound different, but only due to being in shape or out of shape. . My guess is that your pipes aren't changing at all, and if so... so slightly, you wouldn't notice, especially as you said, "identical temp, humidity, same time of nite, same room, same chair."
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

pancelticpiper wrote:"Chorders" says what they do but sounds a bit odd. Well I guess anything other than "regulators" will sound odd, to us.
Chord pipes.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa