origin of ghost d

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
WannabePiper

origin of ghost d

Post by WannabePiper »

Sorry if this has been covered before, but didn't find via search. I was for no particular reason wondering how the ghost d hole came to be. Was it simply ergonomically unfeasable to make a 1 hole E, or is there more to the story?
john

Re: origin of ghost d

Post by john »

i don't know the answer to that - however, one thing i have recently discovered is that you can pop ghost e

another thing is that you can go from e to ghost e to d in the lower octave - listen to the second part of the humours of ballyconnell on paddy keenan's first album
Ted
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

The pastoral chanter played D with the little finger off the bottom hole. With the hole hole covered you get the leading tone below D. Without the foot joint of the pastoral chanter you are close to the uilleann pipe chanter. It is made so all holes covered gives you the D. Two bottom fingers off gives an E. One bottom finger off is not quite Eb. Some old UP chanters had a key for the low Eb.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

On my chanter (a 1970s Quinn) Eb/D# is precisely in tune in both octaves. No need for a key!
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle