Chanter Stop Switch

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Aljn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Chanter Stop Switch

Post by Aljn »

Howdy Chiff and Fipplers!

I've been a long-time lurker for a few years now and have finally just got my first set of Uilleann Pipes - a beautiful second-hand Childress ½ Set in D :D

Anyhoo, the set isn't equipped with a switch to cut-off the chanter which I would appreciate having for trying to fine-tune the drones.

I've noticed that many of you are great DIYers and are pretty resourceful in finding quick/cheap/easy solutions to this sort of thing, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a suitable valve/switch that I might use?

Obviously I don't want to make any permanent modifications to the pipes - perhaps just something small that fits between the chanter and the stock?

Any way, I look forward to hearing back from you!

Cheers :)

-Aljn.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Chanter Stop Switch

Post by MTGuru »

Welcome, Aljn!

I read the title as "Chanter Stop Watch" and was thinking ... hmm, that's a good idea. :P
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

A chanter stop device is used by some, but it is not needed. Simply remove the chanter from the bag and close off the stock with one hand while tuning the drones. An added device between the bag and chanter might leave the chanter out too far ergonomically. If you really want one, just buy a new head with a built-in stop. Not cheap or necessary, but some opt for them. Many do just fine without one.
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

If you are at all handy, you can make one of these: http://www.uilleannobsession.com/docs/p ... _valve.pdf
Mine has functioned perfectly with no maintenance for 20 years or so.
Aljn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Aljn »

Cheers everyone for your advice.

Thanks for the PDF bensdad :) I'm not sure if I'm quite that handy, but I'll make sure I let you know how it goes if I try it out!

Thanks again.

-Aljn.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Nick Whitmer offers an alternative type of stop valve which you might find interesting.
PJ
KevinCorkery

Post by KevinCorkery »

Fold the neck of the bag back on itself and against the chanter top. Nothing fancy needed.