Typical ROWSOME makers?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Oldpiping
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Typical ROWSOME makers?

Post by Oldpiping »

Hi,

Any advice which makers these days make best Rowsome type chanters. More & more makers are starting to make pipes every day, but I want to order chanter from some (Good !!) maker & I am ready to wait (up to 3 years ). What I want is that Rowsome sound - Best example to my ears is Paddy Moloney chanter.

The best 2 makers are out of reach (David Quinn closed the doors and Alain Froment sadly died). Many makers follow Rowsome plans, but they modify the bore to get rid of Rowsome issues and result is usualy good chanter but typical Rowsome charachter and tone are lost many times.

Yes - it is most in the reed, but still some bores can & some can't sound like Rowsome.

Many thanks, Cheers
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Typical ROWSOME makers?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Geoff Wooff told me he often got enquiries from people asking 'if I get one of your chanters, will I sound like Gumby overthere?'. He always told them they wouldn't, not by a mile.

Liam O Flynn is on record saying how Seámus Ennis, when playing his (Flynn's) Rowsome, he sounded like Ennis.

Most of what you hear is the piper.

If you want to sound like Paddy Moloney, there's only one thing for it. Play like he does.
My brain hurts

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I think you might be embarking on a long and ultimately fruitless quest. From what I have read, no two Rowsome chanters are the same, so there's is no fixed "Rowsome design". Some makers have managed to get their hands on a particular Rowsome chanter which they liked and copied it.
Oldpiping wrote:What I want is that Rowsome sound - Best example to my ears is Paddy Moloney chanter.
Paddy plays at least 3 different Rowsome sets (and possibly has a few extra Rowsome chanters too).

Curiously, Paddy also plays (from time to time) a D chanter made by Seth Gallagher. I don't know if Seth bases his design on a Rowsome chanter but I do know his design for D chanters has evolved over the years (like many makers).

I've been impressed with the sound of Tim Britton's D chanters which I would consider to have a bright tone. I don't know whether Tim bases his chanter on a Rowsome chanter.
PJ
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

And to muddy the waters further, some makers have based their chanters on "Rousome" chanters. That's to say: Willie Ro/u/wsome. (both spellings may be found stamped on instruments). Question: Does anyone know how divergent Leo's (bore) designs were from Willie's?

T
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

Second Mr Gumby...Only Rowsome can really sound like Rowsome.Paddy is similar in many ways and so is Pat mcNulty but is it any coincidence that they were taught by Rowsome?
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Tim Benson's D seems to be very Rowsome-esque.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

You could try this one:
http://www.moloneymusic.com/product-lis ... lutesPipes
Says it has that rowsome sound.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

dunnp wrote:You could try this one:
http://www.moloneymusic.com/product-lis ... lutesPipes
Says it has that rowsome sound.
Kieran also has a Willie Rowsome chanter (or had recently).
PJ
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Oldpiping wrote:Hi,

Many makers follow Rowsome plans, but they modify the bore to get rid of Rowsome issues "
Get rid of the issues, and you get rid of the "Rowsome sound." As far as I understand it (which is only as a reed maker/player), that excellent makers following the best Rowsome design, (e.g.) K/Q, Aebi, Makoto, and others, ..even including those using a right hand reamer from this chanter excellent Rowsome, and a left hand reamer from that excellent Rowsome chanter, etc. still deal with the compromises at very least, to some degree. The octaves of the Gs, Es, in some cases the As, the harsh E (or lack thereof), and depending on the throat, the sensitive back D and C# etc. That's just the way it is with these instruments.

There are corrections for those issues, but that starts to produce a different kind of vibe/tone. Many great makers have gone in that direction too! Different strokes..... It's all what you're after.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Willie Rowsome died in 1925. Does anyone know of any of Willie's work that is scaled to play at a=440Hz? Much of Leo's production, particularly before WWII was much happier at A=450Hz or even A=452. To torture these instruments to play at A=440Hz and speak of "issues" begs the question.
If we view many of Leo's sets as solo instruments, reeded to their native scaling, many of these 'issues' disappear. If played with strings, then having the fiddlers defer to their fixed tuning, all is well. Change to scaling of any of these earlier sets, and can we really say they are 'Rowsome' like designs?

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Well said. :thumbsup:
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Indeed.

I was talking with a pipemaker over the weekend who offhandedly mentioned that Leo's chanters tended to adhere pretty strictly to his father's specifications up to a certain point, but then around the late '40s or early '50s, he began to diverge from them somewhat. He claims that there are certain audible characteristics that tend to distinguish Leo Rowsome chanters from the two periods. Anyone out there have more information about this?
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

an seanduine wrote:Willie Rowsome died in 1925. Does anyone know of any of Willie's work that is scaled to play at a=440Hz?
We have two of Willie's sets in town. And I play together with one of them and it sure sounds in tune to 440Hz. Not sure about the other one, but it is a joy to look at.
Last edited by misterpatrick on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buffalopiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by buffalopiper »

I'll second the comment on Tim Benson's chanters. I'm a relative newcomer but I happen to live near him and we've discussed his chanter designs. His new chanters (mine included) are based on the Rowsome design. They sound great to me.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Thank you for the reply, mrpatrick. The only 'Willie' set I've seen up close and personal was a boxwood full set, marked 'Rousome'. It was definitely a flat scale instrument, somewhere around C#.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi