Newbie reed questions

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
buffalopiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Newbie reed questions

Post by buffalopiper »

Greetings. I'm relatively new to uilleann piping and am working with C chanter. I have two reeds for it and each seems to have some issues. The first reed has a flat back D. The rest of the scale is fine but the back D is terribly flat. Is there any remedy for this?

The second reed plays in tune but the bottom D is very finicky and unpredictable. It sometimes squawks & squeaks and sometimes doesn't play at all. I realize that some of this may be my technique with the added stretch of the C chanter, but the bottom D on the other reed seems to play fine. I seem to have particular trouble when going from a higher note (ie. B) to the bottom D on a tune like Quaker's Wife. It's also very difficult to play a solid hard bottom D. Is there any way to correct this?

Overall, I love to sound of the flat chanter and would like to make a go of it. Can either of these reeds be fixed or do I need to have a new reed made? :-? Any advice would be appreciated. Regards. Jason
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Newbie reed questions

Post by Brazenkane »

The best thing to do would be to locate a piper in your local who could check those reeds out 1st hand.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Christian Tietje
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm an Uilleann Piper since 1985 and before piping a Flute-Player since 1977. Beside thits I played German Pipes in German Folk Music and I play and sing to the Guitar.

Post by Christian Tietje »

flat back-D: you (or somebody who has knowledge about it) can't do anything but cutting shorter! If the back-D is flat the lenght of the tube between the swinging part of the reed and hole is absolutely too long (only if the reed is too wide open, then probably not, but I assume the rest of scale and tone is OK), nothing else! Cut it shorter about 0,5 mm and try again. Then for the rest of the scale it might be necessary to be adjusted. Most of the times the octave (upper a/b) are sharp then. Come back with your result!
Christian Tietje
Christian Tietje
Tell us something.: I'm an Uilleann Piper since 1985 and before piping a Flute-Player since 1977. Beside thits I played German Pipes in German Folk Music and I play and sing to the Guitar.

Post by Christian Tietje »

bottom-D: most of the times the resistance of the lower end of the chanter is too low. Put in some plastic (or cane) -"V" into the bottom of the chanter end, but upside down, the tip of "V" pointing to the reed, in different widths of plastic, 2, 3, 4 mm wide.
Christian Tietje
buffalopiper

Post by buffalopiper »

Thanks Christian. I've actually received similar advice from the chanter/reed maker himself so I'll give it a try. He actually sent me a new reed too which is playing well so I'm in better shape now. :D Jason
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

Don't cut your reed!!! That advice is a last resort - NOT a place to start.

The simplest non-invasive step is to open the reed aperture. This is done by moving the bridle up, or if a fixed bridle to gently squeeze it open with pliers. This will sharpen your back D hopefully enough for your needs.

The aperture of the reed does vary somewhat with temperature and humidity and it's the change of season in Buffalo right now so expect some complaining from your reed.

Also a reed can be played in to a certain degree. Be sure to read Pat Sky's tuning article if you haven't already done so - priceless.

And to repeat the first advice you got, better to take the set to an experienced piper before breaking out the reed cutter!
buffalopiper

Post by buffalopiper »

Don't worry, I'm not cutting the reed at this point. I've been working with the aperture and having some success with it. Overall the chanter is sounding much better. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it playing well through the upcoming cold season here. Thanks for the advice.
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

measure 2x / cut 1x ; )

jus' kidd'n - I would not cut unless ready to risk destroying the reed.

seth gallager's website has info on reed adjustments and more on Pat Skys and David Daye's too if I'm not mistaken.

Happy Piping,
I'm on it...
buffalopiper

Post by buffalopiper »

Where do I find Pat Sky's tuning article?
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

I sent it to you via email. I'm also new at this (couple of months) so still on my desktop.

best,

Deisman
I'm on it...
buffalopiper

Post by buffalopiper »

Thanks for the article. I'm sure it will be referenced often.

Jason
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Alas, I have been enduring the same reed issues, especially the back 'd'. I have tried adjusting the bridle and found that the reed was extremely loud and tough to play. I have since rimmed a slight amount off of two reeds, with some success. I also found out that I need to learn to accommodate the reed as I play, rather than fight it. I guess by this I mean I needed to learn the pressure nuances of the reed. The weather here in NYC is changing rapidly, and sometimes if I just let the pipes sitfor 24 hours they adjust themselves and I am back in business. I, too, am a new piper.... but I decided that I am going to geet no where if I am afraid to mess with the reeds. It's all a learning experience, and what's the worst that can happen? I stand reed-less for a while. Good excuse to pick up the banjo! Anyway, I was nervous because the NE Tionol is coming up in 2 weeks and I wanted to have a reed that plays. But my bigger agenda is to get a couple of new reeds fitted for my various chanters (Hughes&McLeod and Tony Hebdon). I also have a Daye chanter, and that is one of the reeds I trimmed. Not so worried about getting reeds for his chanter though.....

Arbo