Ethnic Instruments - Upipes on ebay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Greg Schnider
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Greg Schnider »

Has anyone ever seen any of the uilleann pipes (in various forms) for sale by Ethnic Instruments on eBay ever sell? It just strikes me as odd they they keep posting auctions which never seem to lead anywhere.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

We kind of have an expression on this board regarding those pipes made in Pakistan..."run, run run...run far, run fast." They're pretty much firewood or wall ornaments, but Tim Britton has been known to remake them for a pretty price, and even says he will on his web site:

http://www.skep.com/britton/

Sets made in Pakistan
Ebony, rebuilt by me (approx. two-month waiting time):

Practice set - $750
Main stock with 3 drones - $550
Three regulators - $1450
Full set - $2600
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

I've been lurking here for some time and have learned alot of stuff, but I do want to ask, has anyone actually tried or even seen one of these sets first hand?
brianc

Post by brianc »

Wannabe,

I saw and played a set of these Pakistani-made pipes while in Edinburgh a couple of years ago.

My first impression was, "Whoa, don't get your wrist too close to that drone switch - someone will think you committed suicide!"
Seriously, the drone switch was nearly 31/2 inches long, and looked like a small dagger.

Beyond that, they sounded, well... bad.
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

I can't imagine that there'd be any way they'd sound good with those plastic reeds in any case, but what if one was re-fitted with a proper reed? What exactly does Britton do to re-work these? Just curious for real-life experiences. Thanks for any replies, past or future.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Wannabe, there's more to it than the reeds. A list of possible problems might include:
Low grade or poorly seasoned woods, sub-standard workmanship and bad initial design

'Brittonized' imported pipes often require changes to the bore and reworking of the tone hole placement.

The best design and workmanship applied to a bad piece of wood can only yield a potentially faulty instrument.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Ethnic Musical Instruments seems to be in the habit of posting their seconds of every sort of instrument on eBay. The pipes, expensive as they are, probably have tempted a fair share of would-be pipers into buying a Pakistani import.
Reasonable person
Walden
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

346 views and only one vague example of someone playing them. Has anybody else ever tried these, or are all the negative opinions simply based on heresay?
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

On 2003-02-26 08:40, WannabePiper wrote:
346 views and only one vague example of someone playing them. Has anybody else ever tried these, or are all the negative opinions simply based on heresay?
Yep, just heresay.
Wanna be the first to buy a set and do a complete review?

There WAS one guy who bought a used full set from eBay in like new condition. I remember the pictures were beautiful. We haven't heard back from him since.
Liguori

Post by Liguori »

JMJ
Good day all!
I've been reading the forum for some time but as I've little knowledge of the pipes there's not been a lot for me to say. Well, FINALLY I seem to know something that most of you don't; way to go, me.
Recently I purchased a set of Pakistani drones that were rebuilt by Tim Britton. They're nice, I have to say. A little rustic in appearance but they've a beautiful tone when somebody who knows about pipes gets a hold of them (Tim Britton, I mean; not me). For someone who can't quite afford a handmade set, I would definitely recommend these! They really sing!
Greg Schnider

Post by Greg Schnider »

In 1997 or 1998, I was approached by a piper to help him with his two Pakistani sets. He had purchased a practice set, and then a half-set in hopes that one of them at least would be good. I agreed to give it a shot reeding one of the chanters and had the practice set for about month or so and had a good look at the half-set as well. They actually didn't look too bad from about 5 feet away, but any close examination or any attempt to get them to play reasonably showed pretty quickly that they were pretty much worthless. I did manage to get a reed or two that were "pretty close" in tune, but had to resort to all kinds of black magic to get things going.

I wrote a short article for the Pipers' Review describing the great fun I had trying to get a reed going in on of the chanters if anyone is interested in digging through their back issues.
piperpenguin

Post by piperpenguin »

Liguori,

Can you post a picture and a sound clip of your drones? If not can you elaborate on them a little more?

Thanks!
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

There we go! Thanks, guys for some hands on info. Anybody got anything else?
Liguori

Post by Liguori »

JMJ
I don't have a digital camera so I can't post any pictures but I can try to post a sound clip if someone explains how to do this.

As for looks, unless you're familiar with the Pakistani you'd think these were made traditionally. The set I bought was a bit tarnished (that's what I meant by rustic)but I'm sure it can be cleaned if I took the time- or I can just start to refer to them as "distinguished" (that's what my barber said about my grey hair). Anyway, go to e-Bay sometime and take a look; somebody is almost always selling this model. Do NOT buy it, though, unless a maker like Tim Britton has rebuilt it. He'll even turn a simple tie-in cup for you for only $40.

All-in-all I'm very pleased with the sound. I would daresay they sound a bit like the drones of my favorite piper, but I'm not going to tell you who that is so I don't insult his pipe maker!
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Re pipes made in Pakistan...one of my students came to me about 8 mths ago with a pakistan made practice set.The bag and bellows were fine the chanter was not good sounding.Anyways after a simple rebore and a new reed it sings away sweetly.Last Sunday he came away with 1st in the Glasgow Fheis for the under 12yr olds (players not chanters)
The sets made in pakistan are not bad looking and with a little work could possibly indeed be playable.
Given that the workmanship is ok I feel that if given the correct bore details etc they could start turning out playable sets for the masses.
Slan go foill
Liam