To C or not to C?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

To C or not to C?

Post by Cathy Wilde »

So I've been saving my pennies for a C chanter because I just love that sound. But I'm also quite fond of C#, especially after hearing a couple of Coyne C# sets. I'm pretty sure I don't want to go to B, at least not at this point (I figure it's a long slow decline/descent ;-) ) so any arguments for B will probably fall on deaf ears.

HOWEVER ... C? Or C#? Opinions?

I've heard C# called "the fiddler's key" and I do play with a fiddler most of the time.

But C is such a nice utilitarian key. Fahey tunes ... :D And it does seem like I run into more folks with C chanters than C-sharp ones, so it might be more social, too. But I would love some opinions if you feel like discussing.

Thanks!

cat or c(#)at
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
WJC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: To C or not to C?

Post by WJC »

Cathy, why make decisions? You deserve to have both!!! :thumbsup:

Personally, C# (Or old-fashioned D, if you like) does it for me. Nothing at all against C, I just find C# to have Mojo - What the French call a certain... I don't know what. I'm fortunate to have a Bill Haneman C# chanter so I'll be forever biased towards C#.

As for what key is more socially acceptable, I'm not sure if C or C# is more social... I think playing pipes overall is anti-social. :D

I'll finish my part of getting the friendly discussion ball rolling by name and album dropping - Néillidh Mulligan playing his C# set (As per his album Barr na Cúille) is heaven to my ears and is crazy glued into my discman. Of course, he also plays a B set on that album....

- J
Last edited by WJC on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KAD »

Cathy Wilde wrote:So I've been saving my pennies for a C chanter because I just love that sound. But I'm also quite fond of C#, especially after hearing a couple of Coyne C# sets. I'm pretty sure I don't want to go to B, at least not at this point (I figure it's a long slow decline/descent ;-) ) so any arguments for B will probably fall on deaf ears.

HOWEVER ... C? Or C#? Opinions?

I've heard C# called "the fiddler's key" and I do play with a fiddler most of the time.

But C is such a nice utilitarian key. Fahey tunes ... :D And it does seem like I run into more folks with C chanters than C-sharp ones, so it might be more social, too. But I would love some opinions if you feel like discussing.

Thanks!

cat or c(#)at
If it's for playing out, I'd pick C or B based on the pitch favored by the flat players you would have tunes with most frequently. If it's for your ears alone, choose whatever makes your heart sing! :love:

KAD
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

It depends on why you want it. For what's it worth, I've never gone for the idea of second instruments to play certain tunes in unusual keys. Caislean An Oir (Gdorian) is great on the D set (with keys of course), as an example.

A couple things worth pointing out is that flat sets don't usually fall at A=440. Most C chanters are flat of C. C# chanters are often closer to C than D. B chanters might be sharp OR flat of B, depending on who they're modeled after. However, if you plan on playing with the majority of flat pipers who go to the North-East Tionol, then you should be aware that C is king there, and most of the sets seem to be very close to A=440. Which means that you would indeed want to be sure your C chanter is, too. Flutes also are usually designed to be right at A=440.

Definitely go with what you love, and don't worry about the rest. Although I love playing with others in flat pitch, I still feel like the point of that is more about the sound and not about sociability. My own set is very flat of B, and I'm ok with that.

Another thing that is worth pointing out (and this is true of the two/three main makers I have experience with: Kennedy and K&Q) is that the bottom hand spread on the C chanters feels larger than that of the B chanters. At least all the B chanters from Kennedy have felt like they have a smaller bottom hand spread than all of the C chanters from both K&Q and Kennedy that I've played. I've only played one or two K&Q B chanters, and I recall it was true of them as well, but less so. If that makes sense.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi C(#)at

Go for the C# and then wait and pick up a C or B chanter here when you have the funds. You will be able to tune your D set's drones down to C#(Or, I will get pelters for this, buy a cheap P half set and use the drones - they will tune down to C with the right composite reeds).

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

C is cool if you already have a D chanter. As others have mentioned C is probably more social then C sharp, at least in Ireland. I have a C Wooff which sounds old-fashioned, mellow, and laidback, and I can play it late in the evening without disturbing normal people. Choose which you like the most :)
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

To me, C# is the way to go. You get that nice flat pitch sound but you also don't have to contend with uncomfortable finger hole spacing as it is very close to concert pitch spacing.

And as Big Davy said you can use your D drones too.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

have you consulted your fiddler on this?
If youre playing with a fiddle most of the time;
does Fmajor, Cmajor, F# major, D#minor, G#minor, or C# major induce a facial expression on aforementioned fiddler such as this: :shock:

Speaking as one who owns more than enough heart-rendering beautiful sounding instruments that Im stuck playing solo with because no one wants to, (or can) de-tune accordingly: I say go for practicality first.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

C is certainly more "social" but if you want to be social, play in D so I would discount this as a factor.

After that you're left with the following issues:

1. Lower-hand stretch
2. Tone

Honestly, I hear very little difference between the tone of C and C# pipes and what difference I hear could be the reeds or different makers, but I'm sure that there are those who will disagree
PJ
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Thank you guys! Like some of you've mentioned, I really like the personality of C#. And I've been entranced by the C# sets I've heard the last couple of years (the Coynes, and Nollaig McCarthy's at the NE Tionol last month). I'd started out thinking C but the more I ponder it the more I believe I'll start with C# and see what happens after that (I'm sure there will be many other things to spend money on in the interim so it could be a good while). But thanks again, and especially for the tuning watchwords and drone info. I've experimented with tuning my concert drones down to C# just to see if they'd go there and they seemed to, but I thought maybe I was indulging in wish-fulfillment :-)

Thanks again, and C# we shall be (for the moment, anyway)!

Best,

Non-C-nat Cat.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Cathy I have sent ye a pm.. :wink:
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
tritaffy

Post by tritaffy »

C# is far too close to concert pitch. I have a Preshaw C set and it's gorgeous. Reed has just been tweaked by Alan Burton and it's back in the groove. I wouldn't rush and would see if there's anyone close that has a C# chanter you can have a play and then have a go at a C if you can before you commit properly.
WJC

Post by WJC »

Uilliam wrote:Cathy I have sent ye a pm.. :wink:
Uilliam, where have you been? :poke:
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

[opinion] I feel you haven't truly gone flat until you've gone down to B. [/opinion]

t
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
WJC

Post by WJC »

tommykleen wrote:[opinion] I feel you haven't truly gone flat until you've gone down to B. [/opinion]

t
Stop it Tommy! :devil: <- Tommy

The truth is, I'd love to try a B chanter out... I want to try everything out! I'm just afraid it will stir my desire for a B chanter which may lead to other things... like divorce. So I've made the decision to stick with C#, and for a completely selfish reason - of which KAD put it perfectly: it makes my heart sing :love:

BTW, Where are the surly pipers? Surely there is stronger opinion out there (I started it with "surely"... that should wake someone up) :)

I'm waiting for a surly "Seamus Ennis played C#... 'nuff said" opinion