Waist belt length

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Waist belt length

Post by s1m0n »

This might be a dumb question, but how many times should the belt go around my waist?

This set has 62" inches of possible circumference, from buckle to last hole. Is that for a really big guy, or am I supposed to do something weird with it, like wrapping around twice?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Once should be enough...
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

Or ye could put on weight !! :wink:
Slán Go Foill
uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Uilliam wrote:Or ye could put on weight !! :wink:
Slán Go Foill
uilliam
Worked for me. :wink:
djm

Post by djm »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I am working hard to follow Joseph's example. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

I'm 35, eat like a pig and consume Guinness like it's going out of style, rarely excercise and I still can't gain weight. 6 feet 140 pounds and a 30 inch waist.
Not that I mind, I just like rubbing it in. :lol:
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
djm

Post by djm »

In ten years you will rue the day. RUE, I tell you. We are talking total rue-age. Your eating habits of today will not go away even when your body no longer works the way it does now. Keep plenty of spare leather for future belt extensions on hand. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Extra-long belts are a pe-emptive courtesy to those who want to try your pipes and who happen to be bigger than you. It saves them from any embarrassment.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

OK, next question. When I strap on the bellows, the hose connecting to the bag is too long--its stiff, and so pushes the bag 2 inches or so past my side. Is there any reason I shouldn't shorten the hose, to make things more comfortable?

The way it is, the bag is constantly fighting to leap away from me.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
morgan

Post by morgan »

Shorten the hose until it's comfortable. But go incrementally. Shortening a hose is easy. Lengthening a hose is not. Unless you have a hose stretcher. Which I do. I also use it for the belt, which I cut to a perfect fit when I was 25 and 137 pounds, and now every time I gain weight I just stick the belt in the hose stretcher.

Not really.

I do have a use for the excess length of a belt. If you ever find your drones wandering around on your leg, you can take the extra belt length, wrap it around the stock, and tuck the end back under your belt.
No E

Post by No E »

marcpipes wrote:I'm 35, eat like a pig and consume Guinness like it's going out of style, rarely excercise and I still can't gain weight. 6 feet 140 pounds and a 30 inch waist.
Not that I mind, I just like rubbing it in. :lol:
Wait 'till you hit 40 :twisted:

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

No E wrote: Wait 'till you hit 40
I'm 41.

C.S. Lewis
No E

Post by No E »

s1m0n wrote:
No E wrote: Wait 'till you hit 40
I'm 41.
And I daresay you're more moderate in your intake of food and drink than Marcpipes :D

No E (fair, fat and and 47)
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

For a practice set (no drones or regs), it can be a little shorter, but eventually the length of the hose helps keep the bag far enough away, and to the left, so that the end of the bellows doesn't hit the mainstock, regs, or drones...depending on the length/design of the bellows. My hose (don't get any ideas kev) is about 10-11 in. for this full B set...depending on where you measure. I've had them much shorter (7-9 in.) for other sets (D), until I found longer was useful.
Doogie

Post by Doogie »

s1m0n wrote:OK, next question. When I strap on the bellows, the hose connecting to the bag is too long--its stiff, and so pushes the bag 2 inches or so past my side. Is there any reason I shouldn't shorten the hose, to make things more comfortable?

The way it is, the bag is constantly fighting to leap away from me.

You can always get extra hose at the hardware store cheap if you cut it too short.. :thumbsup: