THE GREAT UILLEANN YOU-TUBE THREAD.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
boyd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

L42B wrote:I'm not sure if this one has been posted before. This is a recording of piper Liam O'Flynn that was filmed at the Battersea Arts Centre in the 1980's. The tune I believe is The Frieze Britches, played at a nice pace too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzf6ILjdyPA&NR

Cheers L42B
Sorry! I already posted this clip on Page 7 of this thread .

Boyd
oliver
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by oliver »

billh wrote:Frieze Britches == I Buried My Wife...

same tune. Some people use the second name for the Willy C version but in the Mitchell book it's labelled Frieze Britches anyway (all 3? versions)
I agree it's known as two different versions of the same tune but The Frieze britches often refers to the 5-part jig whereas I buried my wife has only two parts, plus the notes are slightly different, even if both melodies are strongly related to each other. I think one must be derived from the other. Which is the first in your opinion ?
L42B

Post by L42B »

Hi Boyd

Must have overlooked your post, sory about that. Maybe it might be a good idea for someone to post a list; at the start of the thread of all the Youtube posts. That way we avoid double posts. What do you think?

Bill you might be right there are a lot of tunes like that. Here's my theory maybe the tune was re-named so it wouldn't offend some people. I've found a few tunes/songs in my time that I think could be linked.

The other day I was learning a song called "Dark is the Colour" for some reason I kept on wanting to put in an intro from "Butcher Boy" and go into the song from "Katie Dear". Apart from the key changes you couldn't tell the difference and I could link each part together with little effort. Maybe these song's where a series that where ment to be sung together at one point? It'd be interesting to try that sometime and see if we find a deeper meaning in the lyrics. A story that has been lost over time.

Isn't 'Cotten Eyed Joe' known as a different tune in Irish music?

Cheers L42B :)
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

boyd wrote:

I've no idea who this is

Boyd
Joey Abarta.

I believe from the west coast of the US, but isn't he in Japan currently?
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

There's some info about the cur here (albeit a tad out of date) http://www.uilleannobsession.com/extras_piperbios.html

He's working in Japan for a year at Disneyland (I think) playing pipes. The 3/4 set he's playing is a Michael Hubbert set completed in the nick of time for his trip.

GOOD NIGHT NOW!

Pat.
billh

Post by billh »

oliver wrote:
billh wrote:Frieze Britches == I Buried My Wife...

same tune. Some people use the second name for the Willy C version but in the Mitchell book it's labelled Frieze Britches anyway (all 3? versions)
I agree it's known as two different versions of the same tune but The Frieze britches often refers to the 5-part jig whereas I buried my wife has only two parts, plus the notes are slightly different, even if both melodies are strongly related to each other. I think one must be derived from the other. Which is the first in your opinion ?
Interesting speculations (above, and L42B's) but I don't quite think they fit. I don't think there's any grounds for referring to them as different tunes.

The tune also appears in a two-part version in O'Farrell's Pocket Companion under the name 'The Soup Of Good Drink' - it's very similar to the Willy Clancy two-part version, and authority Aloys Fleischmann identifies this as the same tune as I Buried My Wife and Frieze Britches, in Sources of Irish Traditional Music. (There's another tune by almost the same name - 'The Sup of Good Drink', also a single jig, in John Murphy's 1809 "Collection of Irish Airs and Jiggs with Variations", but it's not obviously related).

In O'Neills 1850 both names (Frieze Britches and I Buried My Wife And Danced On Her Grave) are given for the same transcription, which has six parts.

Pat Mitchell lists no less than four Willy Clancy versions of the tune - including a two part and what appears to be a 10 part transcription - but labels all of them "The Frieze Britches", whereas on the Clancy album the "Buried My Wife.." name is used (for the five part version, if I recall correctly).

As for the 'Buried My Wife...' title giving offense, I've heard one explanation that the dance over a grave was a traditional act which a partner might perform. I don't know anything about that.

Bill

(do youse guys never check these speculations of yours in books? I know you might not have access to Fleischmann, but surely you have O'Neill's...)
Last edited by billh on Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:He's working in Japan for a year at Disneyland (I think) playing pipes.
Sorry Pat, he's in Japan playing pipes at Disneyland??? :boggle:
PJ
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

billh wrote:As for the 'Buried My Wife...' title giving offense, I've heard one explanation that the dance over a grave was a traditional act which a partner might perform. I don't know anything about that.
Tommy Keane also described this old custom as an explanation for the tune title, and pointed out that he had seen Junior Crehan's widow Cissie dance a few steps beside Junior's grave after the funeral. Kevin Crehan (Junior's grandson) nodded his agreement on hearing this story.
Last edited by Jumper on Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Another one from chanterdan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH1nj88IZyc

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
SEAGULL
Tell us something.: I am not a robot. I am person with dreams and aspirations. I actually hate robots. I do not trust them. Help computer

Post by SEAGULL »

I am not sure if this has already been posted. Its in Gaelic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMtCnDgWT5M

Dan
carel

Post by carel »

it has not been posted
and
I like it a lot
finally
after a long time he (who?) he started to play

thanks
Carel
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Never heard of this piper, but nice air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgvKB90EMWo

David

edited to add a bit of funky Becky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VnH0Z5NF6A
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
oliver

Post by oliver »

BigDavy wrote:Never heard of this piper, but nice air.
Eoin Duignan is very well known in Dingle ; he has recorded several CDs. BTW, nice to see the Three Sisters again at the beginning of the video. :)
Darran

Post by Darran »

Eoin was on a kick arse episode of ardan there around christmas time, was a horslips reunion special, he played on pipes with liam (cant remember surname) the singer from the hot house flowers, was brilliant, if i can find it on Tg4 ill post it

Edit: found it ... http://www.tg4.tv go to "Siamsaíocht - Cartlann" and Ardán: The Horslips - 2/1/2007

interview just before their performance begins alsmost exactly at the 1 hour mark into the program, just after the add break and at the start of part 3, and lasts 9mins long...enjoy! :party: