Need for Speed!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
boyd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Orbis
Hope you've not been discouraged by the variable responses to your post on speed....it has certainly got them all debating!

Antaine wrote:
".........., I get the sense that Orbis may have taken offence and is not even checking the thread anymore as he seems to have not said anything in a long while, which is a shame. If you're still checking, don't go away."..

Well I say,hang in there....there can be some good advice and info on the forum [like mine!?] :o :lol:
I got the most help from pipers that I could meet up with, [regardless of anyone's speed ] so I hope you've got a few contacts near you.
Robbie Hannan is definitely the man to listen to....slow him down and you might spot the technique that he has...he grace notes pretty well EVERY note that he plays....not easy to do slow, never mind at his speed.
Whatever speed a piper plays at, its really important to cut, tap, staccato, trill, flap, slide, cran and triplet etc in specific ways....Robbie is very specific about his "technique" and I had to bin an awful lot of my own [reasonable & established] technique so that i could get the sound that i wanted.

Good Luck with your piping
Boyd.
www.strathspeyinmay.com

How about Bushmills Malt, Lads?
By the way, I live near all the Speyside distilleries.....Jealous??
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Golly,
what a lot of posts...
Your character has a great deal to do with your piping. I am slightly hectic by nature, and quite often that comes out through my playing, and am damned if I will alter my nature for anyone (except my wife!! :) ). If you have the pulse of the music flowing at speed, then it is fine. Listen to Romanian gypsy fiddlers. They play on a pulse that is at least twice the speed of the rest of Europe. They are classifiable as geniuses (?).
Your music is your own to interpret as you see fit.
Also I suppose, "I do because I can".......................

Alan
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

AlanB wrote: Also I suppose, "I do because I can".......................

Alan
Hya Alan take it your quoting the Prince of Pipers?had a good talk with him last March when I was in London and we got around to that famous remark..when I asked him if he really said it?Ah well says he, that was the exuberances of youth !!He then said that he is playing better than he has ever done and slower!!So if its good enough for Finbar its good enough for me.
Anyways should ye not be busy making reeds for all those folks on the Forum??
PS Your last reed fired up with no adjustment at all
Slan go Foill
:thumbsup:
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hi stew and Pat.... I do like the Scotch stuff but the Jameson 1780, Gold and 15 year old when the "spirit" moves me is the schtuff :) Also a dhrop of the ould Middleton when it's bought for me as a gift.... hint.. hint ;)

Patrick.
Pat Cannady

Post by Pat Cannady »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Hi stew and Pat.... I do like the Scotch stuff but the Jameson 1780, Gold and 15 year old when the "spirit" moves me is the schtuff :) Also a dhrop of the ould Middleton when it's bought for me as a gift.... hint.. hint ;)

Patrick.
How 'bout Knockeen Hills Poteen Gold strength (140 proof-that's 70%ABV, boys and girls)?

That'll put hair on yer liver. :boggle:
srfmowman

Post by srfmowman »

While we are talking slow and fast, could someone post a bpm speed (at least a range) for slow aires, jigs, double jigs, hornpipes, reels, marches, ect. I have been playing my practice set for 2 months now and I am trying to overcome the serious lack of rhythm that I was born with. I can play along with my NPU tutor tape, but I am lost (with how fast/slow) when I to play sheet music that I don't have a clip to play with. I find that I am usually too fast when I get a clip to compare. Thanks

:-?
kenr

Post by kenr »

sfrmowman,

Quote from Breandan Breathnach's Ceol Rince 1963 where he says traditional players usually play tunes at the following tempos

Double jigs - dotted crotchet 127
Single jigs - dotteed crotchet 137
Slip jigs - dotted crotchet 144
Reels - crotchet 224
Hornpipes - crotchet 180

To play the music at a quicker tempo detracts from the melody, to play it somewhat slower can do no harm.

End of quote.

Breathnach is usually regarded as sound on these matters.
(All I want to say on the subject actually)

Ken
AlanB

Post by AlanB »

Sfr,

According to the Ceol Rince books (this is lifted from the book) it says.

Double jig - dotted crotchet = 127
Single jig - dotted crotchet = 137
Slip Jig - dotted crotchet = 144
Reels - crotchet = 224
Hornpipes - crotchet = 180

This presumably mean bpm.

Alan
Mypipes

Post by Mypipes »

my comments where posted more in humor so I hope we all still have some..yet there is truth behind the humor which stems from those sessions were someone is more concerned about showing off speed than they are about reflecting the beauty of the music itself. I used to speed when I first got my drivers license but age has brought me the wisdom to know that it is dangerous. So I guess what I am saying is that if your going to play fast.....fine....dont drink beforehand and be careful not to run over the bodhran player! :P
AlanB

Post by AlanB »

Oops, ken, I was right behind you!! :)

Alan
kenr

Post by kenr »

Alan,

I think my bookshelves must be nearer the PC than yours.

Great minds........

Ken
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

srfmowman,
Don't worry it will all come in time keep on practiceing
I don't play off sheet music anymore I prefer just to by ear now be paient.

Whisky is the water of life :)

But sudstances of 140% proof and 16 year olde Lagavulin 46%were made
:boggle: FOR SCIENCE :boggle:

:devil: ARE YOU SURE YOUR STILL ALIVE IN THERE :-? 8)
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

Forgive the spelling Guys TO much Whisky 8)
piperben

need for speed

Post by piperben »

I play different tunes at different speeds depending on how I feel. This is when playing solo or at a session (though Im careful to play a wee bit slower at sessions these days)
I have on the whole had a leaning towards playing at a healthy lick. However I am listening a lot more to clare fiddle style and Willie Clancy a lot more these days. It has changed the way I play. I love the haunting timeless plaing of willie Clancy, particularly his playing of the old bush. It has a timeless quality to it.
Yeah its good to play some tunes at quite a pace once you have the ornamentation and technique, but I had to revisit my playing after hearing the likes of Bobby Casey and Paddy Canny and of course Willie .
There are many excellent pipers out there who play both fast and slower. I like to think they can all teach me someting about piping and Irish music in general.
Slow airs are wonderful when played well but sound ridiculous when played too quicky or rushed.
Some pipers (one in particular) played everything very sedately. For me his piping lacked spark and enthusiasm.
As for Whisky
Scotch Whisky- Ardmore (East Highland malt quite hard to come by)
Irish Whiskey - The Tyrconnell
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

It's good to be able to play at a whole variety of speeds, I'd say, so it doesn't all sound the same.

Only problem is.....Gotta practice them all !!

Boyd
www.strathspeyinmay.com

Whiskey or Whisky ...... that is the Question.

I've an 18 year old Glenlivet and a 10year old Macallan in my cabinet [among others]....should I drink'em ....or donate them to the festival raffle?! :pint:

Naaaa....I'll drink'em..... :thumbsup: