Folktrax Ennis recordings

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Folktrax Ennis recordings

Post by ennischanter »

I was searching for him on Folktrax and two albums caught my eye.

FTX-302: The Fairy piper.

and FTX-314: The pied piper of Dublin.

Looking at the tunes selection by them, I am already DYING to want to listen to them! :boggle: :shock: :o

Are these gems I found still available to get? Or did I just come across some sort of dead find?
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
john

Re: Folktrax Ennis recordings

Post by john »

i had a look and was interested to see this one by clancy:

http://folktrax-archive.org/menus/cassprogs/173.htm
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

ennischanter wrote:Are these gems I found still available to get? Or did I just come across some sort of dead find?
Click on 'Home' on that site and you will find all the explanation you need.

Peter Kennedy was just about the closest friend I ever had. He struggled for about 10 years at the end of his life to find someone - anyone - who would look after the archive. No-one was much interested. In the end, it was left to his friends and his son David to find a solution that I think Peter would have approved of. Eventually, I hope the whole of the archive material will be available, in one form or another.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Going by the description on FTX website the material on 302 is essentially the same as that on the Leader lp and consists of Ennis' standard performance pieces of the period (some of which, like Did-the rum-do can be found in many many recorded versions). I don't recall if it's actually the same recording or a different recording of the same material although the fact it comes in the same order could be taken as an indication it's the same.

I can't find 314 under Ennis' entry in the archive (did you mean 374?). The same material can probably be found in the BBC archive on-line, which is probably where it came from in the first place. I may have a dig around later, , if I think of it. I do have all that stuff

It shouldn't be too hard to find copies of those anyway.
My brain hurts

ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Mr.Gumby wrote: (did you mean 374?).

It shouldn't be too hard to find copies of those anyway.

Yes

Anyways, I'll have a look on the BBC to see if i can find anything.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

What's listed there, the tight piping demo where he play the Queen of the Fairies, Pat ward's, the Connaught Heifers where he stumbles, that's all BBC material as far as I recall (he may have included other stuff in the selection, would first have to look at the tape itself before I can say for sure. Memory not what it used to be and all that.).
My brain hurts

ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

benhall.1 wrote:
ennischanter wrote:Are these gems I found still available to get? Or did I just come across some sort of dead find?
Click on 'Home' on that site and you will find all the explanation you need.

Peter Kennedy was just about the closest friend I ever had. He struggled for about 10 years at the end of his life to find someone - anyone - who would look after the archive. No-one was much interested. In the end, it was left to his friends and his son David to find a solution that I think Peter would have approved of. Eventually, I hope the whole of the archive material will be available, in one form or another.

Thanks.

Camscomusic was a dead end, but hopefully they are available pretty soon somwhere else.