Todd Denman's CD

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Todd Denman's CD

Post by Lorenzo »

A Celtic Peace (3½ hrs left) $4
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Reading the notes on the CD, I'm curious about him. He's the one that got me started on the pipes, while he was living around Seattle (Olympia). Last I knew, he had a Quinn ½ set with new Lambe Regs - in D. Then, a couple years ago on this board, I remember hearing something about his Rogge set.

Is Todd still a "D" piper, apparently still surrounding himself with non-traditional instruments (and lots of them), and a lot of non-trad music, or has he gone the way of flat pipes?

He says on his album that when he puts the pipes on he feels "like another spirit inhabits my soul...what comes out astonishes me...[as] it just plays itself through me."

Anyone keeping track of where his head's at nowdays? Where's he living? He was originally from Ohio, then started wandering, got married, moved to the Swiss Alps, and was into movie production.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I have that CD. Todd's playing flat pitched pipes on it. I like it partly because It's one you can to play for non-musical friends without pissing them off!
Thanks for mentioning it.... time to listen to it again.
No E

Post by No E »

Nice album, though definately not "pure drop." I'm pretty sure that Todd is playing B pipes on "Celtic Peace."

Last I heard, Todd was splitting his time between San Francisco and North Carolina (Chapel Hill?).

No E
Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall »

At last year's East Coast Tionól in Chapel Hill, he was my instructor. He had apparently just decided to move to Chap[el Hill, NC.
At that time he was playing a D set of pipes that was an amalgamation by several makers. The set sounded good.
It's not often that one gets to hear pipes and a Hammond B3 organ played together. :D
Rick
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Didn't he order a Rogge set?
Uilliam

Re: Todd Denman's CD

Post by Uilliam »

Lorenzo wrote: He says on his album that when he puts the pipes on he feels "like another spirit inhabits my soul...what comes out astonishes me...[as] it just plays itself through me."

Anyone keeping track of where his head's at nowdays?.
I met Todd about 8 or more years back in Miltown Malbay.He had just got his Andreas Rogge set (which he immediately started to complain about on almost every aspect when there was nothing wrong with it.) Todd sent it back to him saying he didnae want it.The set was sold by Andreas to Bill Hannaman who has not had the slightest problem with it and was very happy to have it.
I suspect there were other factors at work re the set and Todd,but I can assure ye it works fine and if ye are in Dublin look up Bill, he will be happy to shew ye the set.The reason I mention the above is in case it opens old sores on this and is no ones particular business except Todd Bill and Andreas's.Incidentally at Miltown, Todd made an effort to tell just about everybody he met how unhappy he was with the set...he protesteth too much! I remember thinking at the time, and when the set later went to Bill, seemed to prove the point.Like I said I think there was a lot more going on than Todd lets on.

Reference the quote maybe the other spirit that inhabits his soul! :boggle:
was visiting some other poor sod when he had the set!
If ye ask me I think Todd must be aff his heed to print that on his CD sleeve and would most definatelly turn me against buying it.
Na, on reflection, he is just aff his heed. :-?
Slan Go Foill
Uilliam
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Uilliam wrote: I met Todd about 8 or more years back in Miltown Malbay.He had just got his Andreas Rogge set (which he immediately started to complain about on almost every aspect when there was nothing wrong with it.) Todd sent it back to him saying he didnae want it.The set was sold by Andreas to Bill Hannaman who has not had the slightest problem with it and was very happy to have it.
I suspect there were other factors at work re the set and Todd,but I can assure ye it works fine and if ye are in Dublin look up Bill, he will be happy to shew ye the set.
Don't go there Liam. Let's just leave it all out of this discussion, you're right there but don't start bringing it up yersell.
Todd had very detailed quibbles, rightly or wrongly, and Bill a few weeks ago told me that after a few years with it he viewed the set with different eyes and, well, he had moved on. Whatever, it's all not at all relevant to the present discussion.
djm

Post by djm »

Peter, Uilliam, although I agree that someone's personal problems don't belong on the forum, I am now curious about just what exactly was the problem with the Rogge set that first Todd and then Bill should be underimpressed by it. Rogge seems to have an automatic reputation for great pipes on this forum. What exactly was wrong/not liked about the set? Is it a case of technical imperfections, or of personal preferences?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

In any case, Todd seems to be playing another set of Rogge pipes (in B or Bflat) on this cd.

t
travhicks
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Todd Denman

Post by travhicks »

On second thought, I'll stay out of this one. It sounds like there's a history here that I'm unaware of.

[message deleted]

And now I'll go back to playing the pipes.

Travis
Last edited by travhicks on Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Andreas Rogge B natural full set and a full D set comprising of (last time I saw him) a Leo Rowsome chanter with Kevin Thompson drones and regs.

YIKES!

PD.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

[quote="Uilliam.The reason I mention the above is in case it opens old sores on this and is no ones particular business except Todd Bill and Andreas's./quote]

Peter ye are of course right.I thought it was heading in that direction with Jims comment,thats all.hence the above.I believe it to be ancient history now,and thats where it properly remains.
re this being turned into an attack on Todd..no way....Todd is a fine player its just the spirit bit I find..well.. erm amusing? in a kind of spiritual way :o
Slan Go Foill
Uilliam
PS.Curiosity killed the cat and I would think it a shame that anyone would wan't to know more on what is after all a very private matter.So it should be respected :party:
djm

Post by djm »

Uilliam, I noted that I specifically do not want to know anything personal about the people involved. However, both you and Peter have pointed out that two pipers are not satisfied with this set. Since most peoples' posts on this forum would lead one to believe that the sun shines out of Rogge's arse, I am naturally curious what it is about this set that has put both pipers off - is there a defect with the set? - is there something about the design that doesn't meet both players' expectations? I believe these are valid questions for this forum.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Well I am afraid I for one will be saying nothing,except that I got the sister set,it was and is still a beautiful set and I wouldnae part with it.So ye will have to remain curious as far as I am concerned.Anyways ,what on earth makes ye think it is your God given right to know??It seems that Todd and Andreas have settled their difference as has been pointed out so leave it at that :roll:
Uilliam
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Liam,
I'm curious... what made your set the sister set to Todd's original set?
Same specs? made in the same batch?