Responses to User Instrument forum.

Get help using the forums. If we can't help you, FEMA can.
learn2turn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Responses to User Instrument forum.

Post by learn2turn »

I know that follow-ups aren't the correct course of action in the Used instrument forum. I responded to two ads via private message about a week ago a day or two after each ad was posted. I haven't heard anything back. Is there any way to tell if my message was received and viewed?

I included my email address in my responses and was wondering if maybe the seller tried to respond via my email and there was some problem. I don't have any new Private Messages here.

-l2t
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Responses to User Instrument forum.

Post by benhall.1 »

leearn2turn wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:45 am I know that follow-ups aren't the correct course of action in the Used instrument forum. I responded to two ads via private message about a week ago a day or two after each ad was posted. I haven't heard anything back. Is there any way to tell if my message was received and viewed?

I included my email address in my responses and was wondering if maybe the seller tried to respond via my email and there was some problem. I don't have any new Private Messages here.

-l2t
You can tell if your PM has been opened (there's no guarantee, of course, that the recipient actually read it). If it has not been opened it will still be present in your 'Outbox'; if it has been opened by the recipient it won't be in your Outbox.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:48 am ... if it has been opened by the recipient it won't be in your Outbox.
... but will be in Sent Messages (just to clarify).
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
learn2turn
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Post by learn2turn »

Thanks for the info. The messages still appear in the Outbox so I guess they have not been read.

-l2t
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

learn2turn wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:42 pm The messages still appear in the Outbox so I guess they have not been read.
That's the usual scenario.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Something that I encountered recently both for myself and someone who was purchasing an instrument from me, was that the new forum version sends emails in a way that Gmail auto-spams them. Even after marking them as OK. So I guess something to keep in mind when buying/selling for people that don't frequent the forum itself, they might not see the emails for the PMs.
Life is good.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

dyersituations wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:06 pm Something that I encountered recently both for myself and someone who was purchasing an instrument from me, was that the new forum version sends emails in a way that Gmail auto-spams them. Even after marking them as OK. So I guess something to keep in mind when buying/selling for people that don't frequent the forum itself, they might not see the emails for the PMs.
Gmail has always tended to mark emails from this site as Spam. You may have managed in the past to mark them as 'not Spam' often enough for Gmail to notice but without that it always used to be the case. I've looked at that issue for at least the past ten years, and, as far as I can see, there's nothing to be done about it. All one can hope for is that users will check their Spam folders and mark emails from the site as 'not Spam'.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

benhall.1 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:40 am
dyersituations wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:06 pm Something that I encountered recently both for myself and someone who was purchasing an instrument from me, was that the new forum version sends emails in a way that Gmail auto-spams them. Even after marking them as OK. So I guess something to keep in mind when buying/selling for people that don't frequent the forum itself, they might not see the emails for the PMs.
Gmail has always tended to mark emails from this site as Spam. You may have managed in the past to mark them as 'not Spam' often enough for Gmail to notice but without that it always used to be the case. I've looked at that issue for at least the past ten years, and, as far as I can see, there's nothing to be done about it. All one can hope for is that users will check their Spam folders and mark emails from the site as 'not Spam'.
Interesting. Several years ago when I was last selling a few instruments, I didn't have that issue. But I'm not surprised, Gmail has an aggressive spam blocker.
Life is good.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I’m experiencing the same problem since the changeover, despite constantly moving board notifications from spam to inbox, which normally solves the problem. Also, the notifications are now from “Dale”, as opposed to “webmaster@chiffandfipple.com”, which is what got them rerouted in the first place.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Yup, I've noticed the same. Maybe Gmail is more aggressively blocking the new "dalewiely@gmail.com" sender because it's a personal Gmail.
Life is good.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Loren wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:41 am I’m experiencing the same problem since the changeover, despite constantly moving board notifications from spam to inbox, which normally solves the problem. Also, the notifications are now from “Dale”, as opposed to “webmaster@chiffandfipple.com”, which is what got them rerouted in the first place.
Rather than just moving the messages, you may have to right click and mark them as 'not Spam'.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

benhall.1 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:29 pm
Rather than just moving the messages, you may have to right click and mark them as 'not Spam'.
My phone no haz mouse to right click with.

Not my first spam filter rodeo, I have been dealing with with non-spam showing up in my spam folder plenty of times in the last…..how many years ago did gmail launch? The new forum notifications are unusually recalcitrant for some reason. Maybe gmail made some change around the same time as the switch, but what are the odds?
make_fast
Tell us something.: Learning uilleann pipes, whistle, and occasional backing instruments. Just hacking away and slowly expanding repertoire.

Post by make_fast »

benhall.1 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:29 pm
Loren wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:41 am I’m experiencing the same problem since the changeover, despite constantly moving board notifications from spam to inbox, which normally solves the problem. Also, the notifications are now from “Dale”, as opposed to “webmaster@chiffandfipple.com”, which is what got them rerouted in the first place.
I believe the issue is that they are being routed - they come from "dalewiely@gmail.com via ps429206.dreamhostps.com". I have marked them not spam, moved, etc. to no avail, but I just manually whitelisted dalewiely@gmail.com with a 'never send to spam' (instead of just moving them) to see if that helps. I don't know if google will still spam them since they go through dreamhostps.com though.

edit: and just got a ping in my inbox! Google still has the big grey box of "Are you sure this isn't spam?" at the top but I can confirm creating a filter so that all dalewiely@gmail.com goes to your inbox will work.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I wonder why in the gmail address that "wisely" is not spelled correctly.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org